Portable Gas Heaters

Julianjay

This may be a daft question but I have seen some 'portable' gas heaters on Ebay that do not have a flue and am wondering if they are ok to use in a closed caravan or will I go into a deep sleep from which I will not wake up.

When I was a kid in the 1960's we had a caravan and that of course had gas lights but they were not on all night.

I guarantee that your sleep would be far deeper than you could wish, infact you would be either up there with the angels, or down below!

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

This may be a daft question but I have seen some 'portable' gas heaters on Ebay that do not have a flue and am wondering if they are ok to use in a closed caravan or will I go into a deep sleep from which I will not wake up.

When I was a kid in the 1960's we had a caravan and that of course had gas lights but they were not on all night.

Nope, they are not really suitable for use in a van. I think that you could get away with using them aas an awning heater though. I take it that you go out 'off hookup'? Therefore you need gas rather than the leccy heater?

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

No I was just thinking out loud really. I saw this and thought of the old gas lights in the caravan when I was a kid. But as I say they were probably not on for more than an hour at at time as it made the van really hot when in France in summer. I guess I have answered my own question here as I now remember dad always had a window open a bit or the top fan light as well.

I have one in my "office" a large three burner job - with a big blue cylinder in the back - had it for years -- but I don't think that I would like to use it in a totally unventilated space. .. it does smell a bit - but it keeps me warm in my office. .. which in fact is a summer house in the garden [ and draughty at times ]

Where I am sitting now looking out the window at all the new bulbs coming through and a small wren in the hedge. .

and typing this !!!

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Hi,

Apart from what has been posted I would have doubts about using a portable flame appliance, in such a small area, due to reasons of people moving around and the obvious dangers,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Julianjay

As long as the van has sufficient ventilation you should wake again. ..

In such a small area I'd think that condesation would be a problem.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Hi Julianjay

neil

The best scenario is a bad headache the worst is death. You are right these heaters give out large amounts of water. I visited someone in a cabin office the other week with one of these heaters, the windows were dripping and any metal surface was wet first thing in the morning ; really good for office equipment!

Remember those news items when families get gassed with CO never waking up in foriegn holiday accomodation; well having one of these heaters in a caravan is a similar situation.

Never use one of these in a room where you are going to sleep, please. However much ventilation you think you have it is just not worth the risk.

Hi Julianjay

neil

It would be alright provided the thing was working correctly. The problem is that you dont know whether or not it is!!

On the subject of the gas lights/cooker hobs etc, the reason it is not so bad with them is because they are used whilst awake and for shorter periods. If you were having problems then you would most likely get out.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I considered one to fit to my caravan as caravan stoves are either not available or very expensive here.

Although there are portable heater models with high safety features on the market the worries given above were dominating and I decided not to use it.

On cool nights we used to use the gas cooker which is a simillar source of heat. We of course turned it off before we go to sleep within warm sleeping bags.

Now, deciding to caravan off the summer, we have a proper hermetic heater fitted.

Regards

Dogan Boncu