Nose Weight Advise

caravanCRAIG

Before i get shot i did do a search to try and find my answers but to be honest im baffled by the nose weight im trying to acheive!! My car is a land rover discovery 300 tdi manual kerb weight 2100 KG and a compass rallye 636 twin axle van with a M. T. P. L. M of 1900 KG the car can take a max of 150KG nose weight the van is a max of 100KG nose weight.

The question is do i max the van out to 100KG nose weight or try to get it lower ? Sorry if i appear a little dumb asking bit it's better to ask before a nasty accident than to find out why we crashed!!

I would be aiming for the 100kgs personally

T

2014 Porsche Cayenne | 2010 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4 | 1967 Wife

Before i get shot i did do a search to try and find my answers but to be honest im baffled by the nose weight im trying to acheive!! My car is a land rover discovery 300 tdi manual kerb weight 2100 KG and a compass rallye 636 twin axle van with a M. T. P. L. M of 1900 KG the car can take a max of 150KG nose weight the van is a max of 100KG nose weight.

The question is do i max the van out to 100KG nose weight or try to get it lower ? Sorry if i appear a little dumb asking bit it's better to ask before a nasty accident than to find out why we crashed!!

Ideally the higher the noseweight the more stable the tow, but you have to work within the limits of the van and the tug. The disco has a limit of 150kg which might be OK with industrial or agricultural trailers, but an ALKO chassis has a limit of 100kg, which is you cannot exceed, so that is your upper limit.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

So is 100KG my prime goal?? Regardless to what or how much/little we take with us move the weight around to get 100Kg?

We have two children so im guessing we will be taking more than is needed as the wife always thinks of every possible sinario!!

So is 100KG my prime goal?? Regardless to what or how much/little we take with us move the weight around to get 100Kg?

We have two children so im guessing we will be taking more than is needed as the wife always thinks of every possible sinario!!

I would have thought that rather than 100kg beingyour prime goal that it should be considered as the limit and whilst I would be quite happy if the nose weight turned out at around that figure when I had loaded the caravan normally ( everything in it's designated position and an awning over the axle ) I would not set out to increase the figure if it did not reach it. If the caravan ends up with a nose weight that is about 70kg or slightly higher then I have always found this sufficient, but I am never happy if it is less than that.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I agree with the advice above. Dont exceed the 100Kg. However since your van is a twin axle, trying to increase nose weight is harder due to the extra axle. It is much more important with twin axles that the outfit tow correctly and the towball is not too high/low - the van should tow level.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

the van should tow level.

Regards

Lee

Absolutely - Even if this means adjusting the height of your drop plate (if fitted) on your Disco

T

2014 Porsche Cayenne | 2010 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4 | 1967 Wife

The ideal to aim for is 7% of the maximum laden weight of the caravan as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum hitch weight of car or caravan.

Bessacarr 645 towed by a BMW X5 Sport (Diesel 23mpg towing 35mpg solo) - I also have a Diesel Toyota Yaris Automatic in an attempt to be a bit green - it's doing over 70mpg on a good run. Shame it won't tow the caravan!!

Happy Caravanning! (& Happy Rallying too!)