X Trail Doesn't Like Reversing The Caravan

mary ross

I don't know how these double clutch autos are for towing, eg. VWs, do you wear our 2 clutches instead of one?

A bit early to say.

They are not a conventional friction clutch and are supposed to last the life of the gearbox. It's a complete gearbox out and and gearbox strip down to replace them, a very technical and expensive job.

I do know the tuning community hated the first generation box because of it's low torque rating and uprating the engine was causing gearbox issues.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

As some said earlier reverse on most manuals is almost like pulling off in second. The new 6 speed boxes are compact and very complex to give 6 nicely spaced forward ratio's, reverse is often very much a compromise.

Take the Getrag 6 speed box that is used by many manufacturers and across the Ford range. It's actually two 3 speed boxes and has two different final drives to give 6 forward ratio's, packaging for the reverse gear means it uses the lower final drive ratio.

Pointless really as you will never need to do 50mph in reverse but I suppose mainstream cars are not designed with shoving a caravan backwards, at an angle, up an incline, on soft ground as a priotity.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Archived