Stabilisers And Cornering

chashka

Our 25+year old "new" caravan has a bracket attached to the side of the A frame which takes the Bulldog style of leaf spring stabiliser. As a complete newbie to caravanning I can see that this design will help to prevent too much roll or snaking of the caravan when driving in a straight line, but what happens when you turn a corner?

What do people think of this type of stabiliser compared with the ALko friction grip type. Is it worth us getting the car bracket or should we ditch the idea and get an Alko stabiliser/hitchlock? ( The van came with a seperate hitchlock - box type). :unsure:

Our 25+year old "new" caravan has a bracket attached to the side of the A frame which takes the Bulldog style of leaf spring stabiliser. As a complete newbie to caravanning I can see that this design will help to prevent too much roll or snaking of the caravan when driving in a straight line, but what happens when you turn a corner?

What do people think of this type of stabiliser compared with the ALko friction grip type. Is it worth us getting the car bracket or should we ditch the idea and get an Alko stabiliser/hitchlock? ( The van came with a seperate hitchlock - box type). :unsure:

Hi Chashka

First can I say can you please add your location (not your address) so we know where abouts in the country you are !

but to get back to your problem, yes they do stop rool and snaking and as far as goung round corners the blade slides

around on the A frame bracket, and if it is set up correctly its fine as you turn corners.

This type has been used for a number of years but now the friction type has come in, they are a bit better as much easer

to use than having the seperate units, but they are very expencive and you have to have the correct ball,

So back to the reason for the location in the profile is I have a blade type stuck in the garage so if I knew where you were

I could offer it to you !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi Chashka

First can I say can you please add your location (not your address) so we know where abouts in the country you are !

but to get back to your problem, yes they do stop rool and snaking and as far as goung round corners the blade slides

around on the A frame bracket, and if it is set up correctly its fine as you turn corners.

This type has been used for a number of years but now the friction type has come in, they are a bit better as much easer

to use than having the seperate units, but they are very expencive and you have to have the correct ball,

So back to the reason for the location in the profile is I have a blade type stuck in the garage so if I knew where you were

Radiotwo

Hi Chashka

Radiotwo

Hello Radiotwo

Thanks for the information - I think I will try the blade type first. We live up north in Durham (still working out how this website works - sorry!). I appreciate your offer but it is a bit too far for pick up.

Thanks again

Chashka (chashka chaioo - a cup of tea)