Cool Caravaning

Hi, Some advice please, Although I have caravaned on and off for 20 years, when we have went down to the med in August, Croatia last year, Italy the year before and France the year before that, we have left the van at home and used a two person tent.

Our thinking has been that we like being outdoors - we only go inside to sleep, if we want the odd bit of luxury we will stay in a Hotel and we have the flexibilty and financial savings that not towing a van brings (fuel, ferries, cheaper campsites).

However this year we have bought a different van and a bigger car to tow it so can't bring ourselves to leave it at home, therefore the Hull -Zebrugge ferry is booked and we are heading down towards he Tarn region of France or spain or Italy or Hungary or. ...

So back to the point of the post - how do you keep the inside of the van cool - I would hate to try and sleep in a van that was the temperature that the inside of the car can get to, any tips welcome apart from the one than suggest using a tin opener to create the first Bailey's Indianna Cabriolet!

Kevin

Last year we took a portable A/C unit with us to Agde, night tempratures were in the high 20s but we were COOL!!!!!

We just balanced the loading in between the car and caravan to cover the weight

Last year we took a portable A/C unit with us to Agde, night tempratures were in the high 20s but we were COOL!!!!!

We just balanced the loading in between the car and caravan to cover the weight

Wow that was quick, Couldn't give me a bit more info, use on low amp EHU, price, noise etc - thanks Kevin

Being a very 'uncool' person I do struggle a bit in the heat. Even going in May/June it can be very hot. The only cooling we use is a large (12inch) oscillating fan. We usually find this enough to cool us down to get to sleep. Interestingly when we wake up the van has cooled down considerably, until we open the door!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I take a fan too but I make sure the blinds are closed during the day to try to keep the van as cool as possible.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

Park in the shade, if possible, under trees or with trees on the southern side of your pitch. On some sites in the South of France and Italy there are pitches that have lattice type covers that provide shade. You have to be careful as some of these are not as high as they appear and I once knocked off the top of my heater vent whilst manoeuvering the van under one. Terraced sites on hill sides often appear to have more of a cooling breeze than those on the flat in the valley. The pitches higher up the hill obviously gain more from any wind (and have better views) but this sometimes is offset by the effort of walking up and down to the facilities in the heat.

We use an oscillating fan as earlier correspondents have already mentioned. You would have to be careful on many French sites with the load that an air conditioning unit would impose as you could easily exceed the 6 or 8 amps that pitches are frequently limited to.

Same as the rest, an oscillating fan in the main.

We also have a Mini Air cooler which is effective in dropping the van a few degrees.

Alas they appear to be out of production.

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

Wow that was quick, Couldn't give me a bit more info, use on low amp EHU, price, noise etc - thanks Kevin

Our portable unit has a maximum loading of 4. 8amps with a cooling capacity of 9000btu or 2. 3 kw

( its the magic of a heat pump that makes the load have no relation to the output)

The site we were on had a 6a load limit, so at night the water heater was turned off and before morning brew the A/C unit was shut down, apart from that the caravan fridge was left on as were the two extra cool boxes we also carry,

The units do make noise, but then a desk fan makes noise, people drinking late in the next pitch make noise, the noise is not excessive and fades nto the background as you slumber in the COOL :D

Thanks everyone for your help. So to sum up, so far.

If it gets too hot, get a pitch up the hill or head for the hills and gain the cool air coming down from the mountains.

Find good shade for the van either through human made shades or trees and put down the van blinds down during the day when it is hot.

Move air around by opening roof vents at night, use the central heating fan and purchase a 12" fan (about £15. 00)

Buy a portable A/C unit (about £150. 00 )

Grand thanks, the A/C unit, struggling with spending £150 though don't know why when if I knew I was going to get cold 150 would be less of a problem.

Keep the suggestions coming

Kevin

Its not only whilst away the A/C unit has its uses, another summer like we have had over the last few years, think cool bedroom at home as well .

We were so taken by comfortable nights sleeping after using the portable unit for 3 or 4 years We decided to have A/C installed, never regretted the cost, in the height of summer, what price a good nights rest ?

Hi, Some advice please, Although I have caravaned on and off for 20 years, when we have went down to the med in August, Croatia last year, Italy the year before and France the year before that, we have left the van at home and used a two person tent.

Kevin

You'll be cooler than in a tent, unless it's a canvas/cotton one.

When I enquired about this on another site, the advise I was given, was just to put the van's fan on, but obviously without the heater part on. It will pick up air from underneath the van where it should be cooler.

Keeping in the shade is always the best advice though.

If you are going to the gorges, try Le Roziers. The municipal there is very good and handy for the village.

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Elldisrod, you are really selling me the idea of AC.

Wigandiver I camped in the Gorges du Tarn about 15 years ago me, when we canoed the Tarn but I can't for the life of me remember where, http://camping-lerozier. com/map. htm lookes nice, I think I might give it a try.

Kevin

Off topic warning ON : :)

We stayed here last year . .. excellent site for the Gorges du Tarn . .. booked through Select Sites

http://www. campingpeyrelade. com/gb/index_gb. html

HTH

Off topic warning OFF : :)

Edited by Entwood