Towcar Advice

paul b

hello everyone just looking for some advice im thinking of changing my volvo v70 d5 for something like a ford galaxy or similar as i am suffering with a bit of back trouble so need to be sitting higher up trouble is i no nothing about these cars regarding towing capabilities fuel economy comfort levels etc. so i thought this would be the best place to ask my van is a swift challenger 530 max weight is about 1400kg so if anyone can offer any advice on the galaxy or anything similar it would be much appreciated thanks paul maggie and old faithful ben.

2006 mitsubishi animal 2. 5 auto double cab in black with chrome bits and Elddis odyssey 544

B)-->

QUOTE(paul b @ Mar 14 2009, 06:41 PM) 238650[/snapback]
hello everyone just looking for some advice im thinking of changing my volvo v70 d5 for something like a ford galaxy or similar as i am suffering with a bit of back trouble so need to be sitting higher up trouble is i no nothing about these cars regarding towing capabilities fuel economy comfort levels etc. so i thought this would be the best place to ask my van is a swift challenger 530 max weight is about 1400kg so if anyone can offer any advice on the galaxy or anything similar it would be much appreciated thanks paul maggie and old faithful ben.

We will be looking at an 06 VW Sharan tomorrow. The mechanics in my mate's garage OK'd this car for its general reliability, and the version we are looking at, (SE automatic), will tow over 1,600 Kgs at the recommended 85% guideline. Type in www. cuddles. abelgratis for more details.

I suppose fuel economy depends largely on the type of usage, but comments I have read tend to suggest 30mpg + towing and 40 mpg + in normal use. Check the search facilities on this, and other sites.

Hope this is of some use.

Jim.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paul b @ Mar 14 2009, 06:41 PM) 238650[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hello everyone just looking for some advice im thinking of changing my volvo v70 d5 for something like a ford galaxy or similar as i am suffering with a bit of back trouble so need to be sitting higher up trouble is i no nothing about these cars regarding towing capabilities fuel economy comfort levels etc. so i thought this would be the best place to ask my van is a swift challenger 530 max weight is about 1400kg so if anyone can offer any advice on the galaxy or anything similar it would be much appreciated thanks paul maggie and old faithful ben.

We will be looking at an 06 VW Sharan tomorrow. The mechanics in my mate's garage OK'd this car for its general reliability, and the version we are looking at, (SE automatic), will tow over 1,600 Kgs at the recommended 85% guideline. Type in www. cuddles. abelgratis for more details.

I suppose fuel economy depends largely on the type of usage, but comments I have read tend to suggest 30mpg + towing and 40 mpg + in normal use. Check the search facilities on this, and other sites.

Hope this is of some use.

Jim.

hi jim thanks for reply very helpful i would be happy with that sort of economy, is that the diesel model?

2006 mitsubishi animal 2. 5 auto double cab in black with chrome bits and Elddis odyssey 544

B)-->

QUOTE(paul b @ Mar 14 2009, 08:22 PM) 238692[/snapback]
hi jim thanks for reply very helpful i would be happy with that sort of economy, is that the diesel model?

Yes.

I think most folks would recommend the diesel, rather than the petrol version, for towing.

Jim

I have the 6 speed manual Alhambra, 115bhp diesel and tow a single axle van which has a max weight of 1600kgs. Its very steady and, whilst not the quickest rig is a comfortable drive and I will get around 25mpg towing. I've often wondered whether the added height of people carriers helps the aerodynamics of the rig.

Mine will be 7 yrs old this year and looking now to change, probably to an 18 month old XC70.

Regards

NRF

I have had an Alhambra 115hp, Sharan 130hp and now a Galaxay 150hp. They all tow well with the 130 probably the best for economy. Invariably the fuel consumption is average 40 mpg solo although this can rise to 48 if sitting on the motorway for a long journey at 70 mph on cruise.

Towing consumption I have had vary from 20 - 30 mpg. The twenty was with a Carisma 540 on the back with the Alahmbra racing through France to catch a ferry. You will only get 30 if you are around the 50 mph mark. This speed gives the best economy and is acheived in 5th gear not 6th.

I would add that the Galaxay version of this vehicle is the best to drive with a better compromise on the suspension settings. The Seat has to much rebound resulting in a lot of vertical movement whilst the Sharan is a bit rolly in the corners. The Galaxay is a mix of the 2 and as a result is a more stable tow although the others are not bad either.

thanks for all reply,s some usefull information i think im still drawn to the galaxy but will be sorry to see the v70 go but needs must cheers paul.