Question For Al-ko Aks 3004 Stabiliser Users

Elm6

Have you got an AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser and use an other trailer that needs a greased hitch.

As part of the Diamond celebrations package I get a AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser on the new caravan, but I also have a boat trailer that needs greasing on the hitch, because of my M/S I've not been able to use the boat for over 12 months, Linda says I should sell it but I don't want to give it up yet, I'm still living in the hope of using it.

So thats my dilemma I'd like to have the AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser and the boat, I'm sure other people must have had the situation of using both.

Can the hitch be cleaned of grease and if so what do you use to get rid of the grease or do you need to have a new hitch ball thats never seen grease.

I tow an Ifor Willims trailer as well as the van. Whilst the Ifor does not need a greasy ball, it is sometimes used on other vehicles and there is a transfer of grease to my hitch. I either use Isopropyl Alcohol or brake cleaner to clean my ball before using the caravan. We have just changed the tug to one with a detachable towbar, the "Rolls Royce" option for me would be to obtain another detachable ball and use one for the trailer and one for the van!

Would it be possible to change the hitch on your boat trailer for an AL-KO AKS 3004? You get a stabilised trailer and no more greasy balls!

Cheers

Keith

I tow an Ifor Willims trailer as well as the van. Whilst the Ifor does not need a greasy ball, it is sometimes used on other vehicles and there is a transfer of grease to my hitch. I either use Isopropyl Alcohol or brake cleaner to clean my ball before using the caravan. We have just changed the tug to one with a detachable towbar, the "Rolls Royce" option for me would be to obtain another detachable ball and use one for the trailer and one for the van!

Would it be possible to change the hitch on your boat trailer for an AL-KO AKS 3004? You get a stabilised trailer and no more greasy balls!

Cheers

Keith

Keith, By way of fortune I have your Rolls Royce solution. ...

I have a detacheable towbar and have two separate two balls. .. I hasten to add the first one I got was the wrong one so they sent me another free of charge (and forgot to collect the original).... but the original is OK with greasy trailer hitches.

G.

Give the greasy ball a good wipe with a clean rag to get rid of most of the grease but then, and this is "very important ", a good clean with Brake Cleaner. A big tin can be got from Halford for a few shillings. Or as you say an 3004 on both units, but that will cost loads of shillings.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately I don't think the the Al-ko Aks 3004 Stabiliser would stand up to repeatedly being fully submerged in sea water, which is what happens to the present hitch on the boat trailer hence the need for all the grease.

I'll have to get my hands on some Brake cleaner

Thanks again Aidan

Guest Rimmer

I spent virtually a day cleaning balls to a grease free state so the tractors could tow caravans off a swamped site.

Its very interested to see how many have greased and who has grease less hitches.

I have the same problem. ...boat trailer needs a greasy ball but the Bailey doesn't. ..so after towing the boat trailer its a good wipe down with plenty of kitchen roll & then a liberal spray with brake & clutch cleaner spray. .....2 1/2 years down the line no probs with the Alko 3004 hitch on the van

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

When I have to tow the trailer . .. old fashioned greased head . . I simply put a old plastic carrier bag over the car hitch. . the grease from the trailer hitch goes onto this, and a quick wipe with cloth/brake cleaner before connecting the 'van ensures all is well . . :)

Also use this method if I have to tow other folks off a rally field. . :) ( and yes . . the rear wheel drive beast does get others off . .. bit of weight and a gentle foot works wonders . . :) )

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 15 2009, 10:50 AM) 238787[/snapback]
So that's whay you have a huge great gas tank in your boot! ;)

also one of the few occasions where TC helps. :rolleyes:

I must admit . . since the LPG tank went in I've not had any problems with traction at all . .. never thought about the extra weight over the axle . . but it must help. :)

Are Alko still posting on the forum

Its 3 weeks since they commented :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Hi all,

Thanks for the post, unfortunately I havent been able to check the forums for a few days. In answer to the question, the towball needs to be absolutely clean of all grease or it will cause a deterioration in the friction pads.

As previously mentioned a good brake cleaner or degreasing type cleaner would do the job.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

AL-KO Kober

Hi all,

Thanks for the post, unfortunately I havent been able to check the forums for a few days. In answer to the question, the towball needs to be absolutely clean of all grease or it will cause a deterioration in the friction pads.

As previously mentioned a good brake cleaner or degreasing type cleaner would do the job.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

AL-KO Kober

Hi Paul

I asked the question because I recently had a problem with the braking in reverse

I have emailed Alko and wondered whether to ask on this forum as well

Regards

John

This is the gist of it

I have a 2008 Ace Award Nightstar and had problem with the brakes after unhitching os Sunday

I had chocked the offside wheel and unhitched from the car on a slope with the caravan pointing uphill

The caravan started to roll back as would be expected but applying the handbrake had no effect at all

The van just pivotted about the wheel chock and the jockey wheel moved down the slope until the van had turned through 90deg and only stopped when I managed to wedge the jockey wheel

I have taken the van in to the dealer but the brake adjustment seems OK to me When they reverse pushed it into a parking space it stopped dead with the handbrake

Could you please comment/offer advice

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

John,

Who did you email at AL-KO or which address did you use to contact us. I will follow this up and get back to you and post a reply on here also.

Regards,

Paul

I'll charge you for highjacking my thread :D:D second thoughts I'll let you off, as you did answer my questions ;);)

John,

Who did you email at AL-KO or which address did you use to contact us. I will follow this up and get back to you and post a reply on here also.

Regards,

Paul

Sorry if we hijacked the thread but from memory it came about because I asked if Alko were still amswering as you had waited a while for a reply

Hi Andy I emailed via the Alko website but all that I posted above was all that was in the email

Grateful for any help /advice

Its hard to understand that chocking the offside wheel disables the nearside brake in reverse!

The van pivotted through 90deg so the wheel must have moved a lot further than would be expected for the brake to bite

regards

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

I have now received areply from Alko

The main point of the reply is this

"With you placing a chock on the offside only, the van would then pivot around the free wheel."

I think that should read "fixed wheel"

So that means then if you draw the van forward up a levelling wedge with the car attached and then chock that wheel and apply the hand brake on a reverse slope the same situation could arise

That is when you unhook the car it could pivot round the chock etc

So its imperative to chock both wheels it would appear

Certainly I have never seen any instruction or warning to that effect

The same situation could arise if the Alko wheel clamp was applied to one wheel on a levelling wedge or steep slope thus having the same effect as a chock

I replied to Alko making the point that it was fortunate that no damage or personal injury was sustained

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

I had a similar experience when I first got my previous caravan, took it back to the dealers, of course it worked when he pushed it backwards on level ground, I was never happy when pitching up on sloping sites, so I always chocked both wheels, I'm having a motor mover fitted to this caravan when/if it arrives so it'll not be an issue when pitching.

What's in brake cleaner that makes it so popular for cleaning towballs? Any degreaser will cost a lot less and do the same job.

What's in brake cleaner that makes it so popular for cleaning towballs? Any degreaser will cost a lot less and do the same job.

Nothing, when it drys there is nothing left. Lots of degreasers will leave a residue.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Not all cleaners/degreasers are low/non residue - ideally brake disks and towballs need non-residue cleaner.

I had a similar experience when I first got my previous caravan, took it back to the dealers, of course it worked when he pushed it backwards on level ground, I was never happy when pitching up on sloping sites, so I always chocked both wheels, I'm having a motor mover fitted to this caravan when/if it arrives so it'll not be an issue when pitching.

I always put the mover on first and usually need to jiggle the hitch to free the clamp

I had the mover remote round my neck but had omitted to engage the motors--brain fade preceeding brake fade

But still it seems reasonable to expect brakes to work as described above

Apologies ;) for continued hijacking of thread :huh:

I have now received areply from Alko

The main point of the reply is this

"With you placing a chock on the offside only, the van would then pivot around the free wheel."

I think that should read "fixed wheel"

So that means then if you draw the van forward up a levelling wedge with the car attached and then chock that wheel and apply the hand brake on a reverse slope the same situation could arise

That is when you unhook the car it could pivot round the chock etc

So its imperative to chock both wheels it would appear

Certainly I have never seen any instruction or warning to that effect

The same situation could arise if the Alko wheel clamp was applied to one wheel on a levelling wedge or steep slope thus having the same effect as a chock

I replied to Alko making the point that it was fortunate that no damage or personal injury was sustained

I then asked Alko this question:

"Are you then saying that the van can pivot around the fixed wheel and the free wheel brake will not engage even though its travelled several metres"

This is the reply

"Your caravan should not travel several meters before the handbrake is fully engaged. If you can apply your handbrake on a level surface the action should reach approximately 45° as previously indicated. Push your caravan slightly backwards and the handbrake should then travel to 90° (fully on). You can then gauge the distance to achieve this condition."

Ist it me that isn't explaining the point properly?

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

The van has now returned home with brakes adjusted

They tell me that they have had 2 other Challengers with 15 in wheels in this week needing brakes adjusted

I unhitched no problem with mover engaged and 2 wheel chocks :blush:

Thanks to Paul from Alko for assistance and apologies again for thread hijack but hopefully it will have helped someone else :D:D

Edited by Watson(JohnG)