Speed Cameras A505 Royston

beejay

Anyone know what the boxes are close to every speed camera on the A505 between Royston and Baldock? Within a couple of metres of the standard speed cameras there are posts with a grey box mounted at the top. These boxes have a lens/glass panel which faces across the carriageway at 90° and tilted towards the road surface at 45°. Big brother? :unsure:

Anyone know what the boxes are close to every speed camera on the A505 between Royston and Baldock? Within a couple of metres of the standard speed cameras there are posts with a grey box mounted at the top. These boxes have a lens/glass panel which faces across the carriageway at 90° and tilted towards the road surface at 45°. Big brother? :unsure:

Don't know what they are for, but they are appearing all over Hertfordshire. As you say the are next to every speed camera.

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

I beleive that as the speed camera itself only has a view of the rear, they take a photo from the side at the same time to try and get a picture of the driver.

Carl

2010 Ford S-Max 2. 0Tdci (Manual) tugging 2016 Swift Ace Courier

csputnik is right they alow a picture of the driver to be taken at the same time, they have one on the A303 down here

But that isn't from my good side!

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

its not my best side either but i think doing a moon out the window might get me more points, mike

Just as long as do not wear a "Maggie Thatcher or Ronnie Regan mask". :lol:

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

I beleive that as the speed camera itself only has a view of the rear, they take a photo from the side at the same time to try and get a picture of the driver.

Carl

I can't remember if they are all on the central reservation, certainly most are. If not, they will only see the passenger side. Left hand drive anyone? :P

I can't remember if they are all on the central reservation, certainly most are. If not, they will only see the passenger side. Left hand drive anyone? :P

Certainly most of the ones I have seen have not been on dual carriageways, so they will only get a poor view of the driver, especially if you have the sun visor down.

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Certainly most of the ones I have seen have not been on dual carriageways, so they will only get a poor view of the driver, especially if you have the sun visor down.

Steve W

Hi Steve,

The only way any driver would not be pictured driving a C4 Picasso is to have the visors down as the windscreen extends above my head. It's like photographing a Goldfish in a bowl :D .

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Looks like the sale of tinted glass kits will go up, even if there is regulation covering the amount of obscuration (?) alowed

Slight deviation, time to ban heavy tint in glass that is in line, or ahead of the driver ?

Slight deviation, time to ban heavy tint in glass that is in line, or ahead of the driver ?

Hi Rod,

Heavy tinting is already banned for the windscreen and 2 front door windows,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Steve,

The only way any driver would not be pictured driving a C4 Picasso is to have the visors down as the windscreen extends above my head. It's like photographing a Goldfish in a bowl :D .

Regards,

Ian.

This equipment is about 2. 5 metres high, faces across the carriageway at 90° and tilted down at 45° so if it is on the nearside verge it is unlikely to "see" the driver. Another point, from memory, these posts are about 2 metres past the speed camera. The speed camera looks at the rear of the vehicle at about 45° to the centreline of the road and the road marking stripes are going away from the camera. How is the photo, if it is such, timed to tie in with the speed camera as the car will be past before the speed camera is triggered. ......... I think :unsure: .

As the speed limit on the A505 is 70 mph it seems an expensive set up to catch the few (?) who exceed that and dispute who was driving.

Looks like the sale of tinted glass kits will go up, even if there is regulation covering the amount of obscuration (?) alowed

transmission of light . .Windscreen < 70% side glass < 65%. Only a police officer authorised to issue prohibition orders can test the tint unless it is so dark as to be dangerous.

transmission of light . .Windscreen < 70% side glass < 65%. Only a police officer authorised to issue prohibition orders can test the tint unless it is so dark as to be dangerous.

I did know about the regulations, just sticking the hook in the water to see who would bite, and try to justify having tints

Edited by Elldisrod