Government Now Want To Know Where You Are Going

I have just come across this story in the Telegraph http://www. telegraph. co. uk/news/uknews/498. ..Government. html Not quite sure how you respond if you are touring!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I have just come across this story in the Telegraph http://www. telegraph. co. uk/news/uknews/498. ..Government. html Not quite sure how you respond if you are touring!

David

Reminds me of my regular business visits to Hamburg in the early 70's. The immigration guys at the airport wanted to know everything. "What is the purpose of your visit?" If you replied business, they wanted to know all the details of what and why. If you thought you'd outsmart them by answering Holiday, you got the where are you going, where are you staying etc. etc. You couldn't win. A German colleague suggested that when they asked "What is the purpose of your visit?" You should just answer "Sex!"...............It worked a treat! You got the German equivalent of "NEXT!"

David.

Reminds me of my regular business visits to Hamburg in the early 70's. The immigration guys at the airport wanted to know everything. "What is the purpose of your visit?" If you replied business, they wanted to know all the details of what and why. If you thought you'd outsmart them by answering Holiday, you got the where are you going, where are you staying etc. etc. You couldn't win. A German colleague suggested that when they asked "What is the purpose of your visit?" You should just answer "Sex!"...............It worked a treat! You got the German equivalent of "NEXT!"

David.

Love that !! :lol:

When I first met my beloved, who is from Ireland. I used to travel to Belfast ever 6 weeks or so to see her. I usually flew Manchester to Belfast. No matter who was at Gate 3 security I always got the third degree. Why was I going there, how did I meet her? etc etc

I can't say it ever bothered me, I knew there was good reason for extra security to Northern Ireland flights. The proposals outlined in the Telegraph article sound just like Big Brother. Big Brother is watching you, Winston Smith :angry:

Regards
Ian

I just wish controls were a little more stringent on re-entry to the UK!

They can be, 2. 5 hours when I returned from Cologne. And the snotty sod at the immigration desk had a very, very good look at my passport :angry:

Regards
Ian

I agree with Piggy that if these checks improve security then they are worthwhile. On both occasions when I went to the USA to stay with my brother I was asked a lot of questions. I didn't have to wait though as each time I was in a wheelchair with a porter and they whisk you through to a special gate.

I always get bodily searched at airports as my artificial knees and pins in my feet always cause the alarms to go off. I don't mind because I feel more secure knowing that people who are flying with me will have also been given a thorough checking.

Jan69c, was it just you that they kept for 2½ hours when you returned from Cologne or was that the wait in the queue?

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

I agree with Piggy that if these checks improve security then they are worthwhile. On both occasions when I went to the USA to stay with my brother I was asked a lot of questions. I didn't have to wait though as each time I was in a wheelchair with a porter and they whisk you through to a special gate.

I always get bodily searched at airports as my artificial knees and pins in my feet always cause the alarms to go off. I don't mind because I feel more secure knowing that people who are flying with me will have also been given a thorough checking.

Jan69c, was it just you that they kept for 2½ hours when you returned from Cologne or was that the wait in the queue?

It was the queue, but they were being very thorough. A bit too thorough. She kept flicking through my passport and even ran her fingernail over my photo! To be fair she did have a senior officer looking over her shoulder. I suppose what made me more angry was that I wasn't feeling too chipper :P

Regards
Ian

If you're flying to Spain you need to provide advance passport information now. I don't know what happens when you just turn up at the border though I'm sure someone on here can tell us.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

I returned from Spain last Tuesday on Eurotunnel and at the immigration booth I had what amounted to a grilling. The guy wanted to know where I had returned from, when I had travelled out, and had I used my passport between mid-December and mid-January. Having answered all these questions, the guy then told me to drive forward so that his colleague could talk further with me. A woman officer then approached me and wanted to know about the contents of the car, the roof box and the caravan. Obviously he had a record of all my recent travel activity. Next Thursday should be interesting - we have a day trip booked on P&O.

But not only is our government becoming more inquisitive. When I drove up the N10 from Bordeaux, I was overtaken by a douane officer on a motorbike. He flashed his blue lights and led me into a compound adjoining the dual carriageway. During a delay of around 30minutes, the entire car and caravan was scanned backwards then forwards by an X-ray gantry. The installation seems to be a permanent feature so perhaps the N10 (north) might be best avoided.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I don't know what happens when you just turn up at the border though I'm sure someone on here can tell us.

Nothing! Driving over the border between France and Spain there are never any immigration officers about - only the occasional copper. Passports are not required.

don't think we should moan too much about extra security if it is to protect us - problem is that I don't believe this government will hold the info securely. if you are touring around, just give the first site you are heading for and be very vague about the rest.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

If you use the Ferry from Scrabster to Stromness in the Orkneys you need to take your passport with you otherwise they will not let you travel & that is inside the UK !( Well suposedly )Must be some other form of id they accept from people who don't have a passport though ???

It will always be vague answers for travel plans with a lot of people anyway . I used to drive a truck to Europe & although I might know where I was going first I very rarely knew which country I was going to end up in let alone which town for a reload !

Also has anybody else had that blank moment when the immigration ask were you have been? I arrived at the shuttle having loaded from Koln 5 hours earlier, When asked where I had loaded the only place I could say was " Germany " ! When did you load ?

About 5 hours ago .

& you cann't remember where in Germany ?

Ermmmm no, it's on the paperwork !

Guess who spent the next 5 hours in the shed having his lorry stripped

Nothing! Driving over the border between France and Spain there are never any immigration officers about - only the occasional copper. Passports are not required.

Exactly as it should be under the open borders setup. Crossing any of the E. U. borders is uncontrolled except into and out of the U. K.

Obviously he had a record of all my recent travel activity.

How would they know that? Unless he reads the forum, of course ;)

But not only is our government becoming more inquisitive. When I drove up the N10 from Bordeaux, I was overtaken by a douane officer on a motorbike. He flashed his blue lights and led me into a compound adjoining the dual carriageway. During a delay of around 30minutes, the entire car and caravan was scanned backwards then forwards by an X-ray gantry. The installation seems to be a permanent feature so perhaps the N10 (north) might be best avoided.

I cannot believe that X-rays are being used to scan vehicles. . How would the vehicle bodywork be penetrated? And why on the N10 near Bordeaux, what's in that area to interest French Customs?

How would they know that?

For at least the past eighteen months immigration have passed the bottom edge of the photo page through a reader. This, I suspect records your journey and is probably stored on computer.

Hi,

In the current climate of terrorist activity I suppose this is a sensible move. It is inconvenient but so is being blown up. I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to enter a country, or who is monitoring my movements, if it means that my journey is potentially safer,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I cannot believe that X-rays are being used to scan vehicles. . How would the vehicle bodywork be penetrated? And why on the N10 near Bordeaux, what's in that area to interest French Customs?

X ray scanners have been in use for years at Le Shuttle but as far as I know only on the Freight vehicles . The detail they get is amazing

Probably body heat scanners of some sort looking for stowaways. No ideas as to why the Bordeaux area is of particular interest. Perhaps people trafficking isn't only limited to Channel ports.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

No ideas as to why the Bordeaux area is of particular interest.

The N10 runs from the Spanish border all the way to Paris. What better place to set up their centre than on a main through route.

I think they are going to add the same requirement for travel between Northern Ireland and the mainland.

By the way, switch your phone off when travelling in the car. It confuses big brother.

Aygo, Sorento, DS3, Kea.  Still love the Hobby brand, but we are currently hobbyless.

So if I am on holiday in Stranraer and fancy a trip to Ireland I will not be able as at present to go upto the desk and buy a ticket with cash for travel on the next ferry.

What if I do not have a passport does that then mean I cannot visit all of the UK ?

Or is someone telling me I need an ID card.

Then if I am in Enniskillen and decide to go for a little drive and cross the border will I be committing an offence and be arrested upon return to the UK.

What if upon my drive to the Irish Republic I get on the ferry at Cork and head for Roscoff.

Will I be sent to Guantanamo upon return to Dover.

Seems strange that we are being Monitored when we leave and yet many thousands enter illegally every year and the goverment never seem to do much about it except throw money at them.

Isn't it funny that the immigration dept have absolutely no idea how many illegall immigrants there are in thr UK but the DEFRA know exactly how many cows, sheep & pigs there are in the UK & if they're at risk from BSE & Foot & mouth. .....methinks that perhaps DEFRA should be running the Immigration Dept!

Back to the original thread, I've no problem with security checks whoever carry them out. .. but I do have a Big, Big problem with the government knowing exactly where I go & why. ..seems like Orson Wells was right. ..1984 & all that!!!!!

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

I am always amazed at the number of people who actually believe that it's for own good and to improve security. Like putty in their hands they'll believe anything they're told and if anyone also believes the terrorists won't win, well they have already with all of the extras cost to the economy, disruption, laws etc. Whilst I think that intelligence is essential, I don't think the terrorist threat is as big as the government would have us believe. It's also a great opportunity to all those state employed jobsworths, who, when given a uniform will delight in their world of power. Cynical, moi?