Propane Abroad

I am new to caravanning and have had the propane option in case Alpine travelling involves temperature drops. I understand that propane is widely available in Europe, but that there is a problem in Germany and Austria where the connections are not the same as elsewhere.

Can someone tell me please if an adaptor is available so that bottles from these countries can be used.

Could someone give me an idea as to how long I would expect a 6kg gas bottle to last, assuming 2 hours heating a day, and use of 2 stove burners and the oven for about 1 hour per day. Just a rough figure please

name='john1944' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:36 PM' post='238413']

I am new to caravanning and have had the propane option in case Alpine travelling involves temperature drops. I understand that propane is widely available in Europe, but that there is a problem in Germany and Austria where the connections are not the same as elsewhere.

Can someone tell me please if an adaptor is available so that bottles from these countries can be used.

Could someone give me an idea as to how long I would expect a 6kg gas bottle to last, assuming 2 hours heating a day, and use of 2 stove burners and the oven for about 1 hour per day. Just a rough figure please

Hi, dont have technical info, but we generally get most of a caravan season out of a 6kilo propane, including heavy use of the cadac bbq. when we go to france for 3 weeks, we havent yet used up a full bottle but usually take 2 full bottles just to be sure

hope this helps

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

HI John try gaslow's website http://www. gaslow. co. uk/pages/products/list_1. htm they dont list a gas connector for germany but if you give them a call they can probably advise

however 6weeks in france in may/june we still had some left in a 7kg butane bottle

Hi

I did some tests on this last season in order to guestimate how much gas I would need for a 3 month trip around Europe. I had purchased BP Gas Light which APPEARED to be available but it turns out that you cannot exchange UK bottles and the connectors are different anyway.

My tests per day were with use of gas without EHU - Fridge, Hot Water, Gas Rings, 2 hrs heating, Cadac BBQ 0. 5kg per day. On EHU (16 Amp) Gas rings, BBQ, some top up gas heating 0. 25kg per day max.

For my trip I am taking 2 x 10kg bottles and an empty Camping Gas 907 cylinder as an emergency backup. I will be running for a month non EHU so it is the Fridge that will be the heavier usage at 270g per 24 hrs.

Hope this helps

Alan

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

You don't state what regulator you have, is it a bulkhead mounted and high pressure pigtail version or a bottle mounted POL propane type?

Germany uses only 11 kg propane bottles for caravans with a specific connector called KLF. You will get an HP hose or a regulator to use a German bottle from a German caravan Dealer. Gas usage is difficult to estimate as many caravanners use electric where possible. You don't mention fridge or water heating which can be gas or electric. Unless you are confident in dealing with a German Dealer it may be better if you stayed with U. K. gas. A 5 kg propane should last two weeks at least but how long is a piece of string?

Edited by beejay

You don't state what regulator you have, is it a bulkhead mounted and high pressure pigtail version or a bottle mounted POL propane type?

Germany uses only 11 kg propane bottles for caravans with a specific connector called KLF. You will get an HP hose or a regulator to use a German bottle from a German caravan Dealer. Gas usage is difficult to estimate as many caravanners use electric where possible. You don't mention fridge or water heating which can be gas or electric. Unless you are confident in dealing with a German Dealer it may be better if you stayed with U. K. gas. A 5 kg propane should last two weeks at least but how long is a piece of string?

Thanks everyone for your help. I do have two 6 kg. propane bottles and it is a new caravan with a bulkhead fitted regulator. The suppliers state you should only change a gas bottle when it is completely empty, so with this in mind you could effectively be running on only one bottle. Is this a strict practise, or is it o. k. to exchange a bottle which still has some gas in it if you are embarking on a long holiday ??

When we went to Holland last year our van had a gas leak around the cooker. So we had heave y use of gas after we isolated the cooker but we were able to go to get our Uk gas bottle refilled whilst in holland no problem I don't know wether you can do this in germany or austria, maybe you coulsd contact the site you are staying at and ask if they know and ask for the local gas refiiling station and ask direct.

Thanks everyone for your help. I do have two 6 kg. propane bottles and it is a new caravan with a bulkhead fitted regulator. The suppliers state you should only change a gas bottle when it is completely empty, so with this in mind you could effectively be running on only one bottle. Is this a strict practise, or is it o. k. to exchange a bottle which still has some gas in it if you are embarking on a long holiday ??

Well put it this way if I still have some gas in the bottle it will get changed prior to leaving on my trip regardless what they want. Will probably use it up on the BBQ at home to use up any remaining. Essential for me to start with 2 full bottles.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

could always change to Calor Lite - either 2 x 10 kilo bottles or 1 x 10 & 1 x 5 kilo - no heavier than Calor but obviously have to pay the initial charge for the bottles.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

could always change to Calor Lite - either 2 x 10 kilo bottles or 1 x 10 & 1 x 5 kilo - no heavier than Calor but obviously have to pay the initial charge for the bottles.

sorry - ignore above post - meant to say BP Lite!!!!

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.