Charisma Electrics

philjw

I have just taken delivery of a new Charisma 230 and I was wondering if anyone can help me with some questions relating to the NE190 control panel.

My previous caravan was a French folding van with simple electrics so I am not familiar with this type of unit.

The van is at a storage site waiting for it’s first outing. There is no access to EHU on the site.

I have been through the van’s manual and have also studied the wiring diagram (using a large magnifying glass).

1. It would seem from the wiring diagram that to charge the van battery when towing it is not necessary to select this battery at the control panel as a relay driven from the car fridge connection makes a direct connection of the van battery to the permanent 12v feed from the car?

2. In order for the fridge to work from the car feed (which does not become live until after the engine is running) does the car battery have to be selected at the control panel in order to provide the fridge electronics with a 12v supply?

3. On EHU does the van battery have to be selected at the control panel for it to be charged? And if the car battery is selected (with the car connected) will the van charger attempt to charge it?

P. S. I was a little disappointed to find that the shower is not fitted with the trigger type head as discussed in this forum.

Thanks

Phil

VW Passat Estate TDI 170 Auto

Swift Charisma 230

Hi Phil,

If you have your handbook handy, the following should answer your questions, when viewed with the wiring diagram on Page 47:

1) When your fuesbox receives the "engine run" or "D+" signal, supplied by the "slate" wire on your towing connection, it will close relay RE1. This will supply power from your car to the connector marked JP7, and therefore, will charge the leisure/van battery. This is automatic, and it doesn't matter whether the car or van/leisure battery is selected, as you suggest, a direct connection is always made.

2) As with (1), providing relay RE1 is closed (i. e. the D+ signal is received), the fridge electronics will receive power, irrespective of which battery is selected. The only purpose of having a separate circuit for the fridge electronics is to allow us to fit a different rated fuse, but providing the fridge element (protected by F3 - 20A fuse) has power, then the fridge electronics (protected by F2 - 2A fuse) will also have power.

3) When on EHU, the leisure/van battery must be selected to charge this battery. In the same way, to charge the car battery, the car battery should be selected.

On a final note, following feedback from our customers, we are in the process of changing all shower heads to the trigger type, and depending on when your caravan was built, it may not be fitted with one. However, if you drop me a PM with your details, I’ll post one out to you (it is a straight swap).

I hope that helps.

Ash

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Hi Ash

Thank you for the prompt reply and for the offer of the trigger shower head.

I have sent you a PM with my details.

Much appreciated.

Phil

VW Passat Estate TDI 170 Auto

Swift Charisma 230

SuperSwift strikes again. :ph34r::wub:

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Hi Phil,

Just to confirm, I got your PM, and a shower head will be in the post on Monday. Glad I could help, just let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Ash

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Hi Ash

Shower head received. Thanks very much.

Phil

When using it you can push the lever up for a steady uninterupted flow

It can catch on the shower compartment roof and switch off if you don't wrap your hand round the body of the shower head to stop it being flicked off :lol:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE