Total Novice Says Hi....and Help!!

rockmeister

evening all!

Well retirememnt looms and we fancy a year in europe to unwind, so a caravan seems one way to go. I am off this weekend to the local sales center, but before I go and look around, mouth open and in ignorance, I wondered where to start. ..make? Cost? Size? Build quality? Size?

Please might someone give me a few simple pointers to get me started.

evening all!

Well retirememnt looms and we fancy a year in europe to unwind, so a caravan seems one way to go. I am off this weekend to the local sales center, but before I go and look around, mouth open and in ignorance, I wondered where to start. ..make? Cost? Size? Build quality? Size?

Welcome.

http://www. caravanbuyersguide. co. uk/

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

evening all!

what size caravan you buy is dependant on the max allowed towload of your car this will detemine the MTPLM of the caravan. it is a recommendation that the MTPLM is around 85% of the kirbweight of the tow vehicle for first time towers,but this is a recommendation only. I would not myself exceed 95%

The MIRO is the ex factory weight of the van & does not include battery,s, gas cylinders,movers etc The MTPLM is the max allowable load of the caravan . the difference between the two is the allowable payload try to find a van with around 200+ kg s you will probably need it for extended touring

in 1 or 2 country,s the caravan must not exceed the kirbweight of the towcar.

Its difficult to recommend any paticular van as it all depends on your budget, as to layout many prefer the fixed bed but IMHO it does not leave a great deal of lounge area but saves making up the beds each night . We prefer to use the front sofa's as single beds as it saves having to disturb the other during those nightime excursions,which in turn eliminates L shaped seating arangements.

Have a good look around the dealers before you decide on the arrangment for you & ask the dealer for documentation on any works,waranty or otherwise that have been carried out on the van. & do'nt forget to haggle them down

Good luck in your search TD

Edited by TD 42

A really big question that.

Here's something you probably haven't considered:

Look at and check out ALL your insurances, i. e. , home, contents, car, caravan, travel, health. As standard, most will only cover you for a limited time away from home, i. e. , 30 days, so you will have to get covered and factor in the costs.

Laurie.

Swift Fairway 540 & Kia Sorento Titan Auto

Follow My Twitterings

388044000975.jpg Our photos with our camp site reviews.