Reich Mixer Tap Problem

tonyddol

Hi Everyone, I'm preparing my caravan for the new season. When I tested the water supply I noticed I was leaking water from the bathroom sink tap. Closer examination revealed the cold water tail had been pushed out presumably due to iceing during the winter. All attempts to push the tail back in were fruitless, it would go in only so far and no further. I then decided to remove the tap thinking I would stand a better chance of reinserting the tail. Unfortunately, the plastic nut securing the tap is in a recess and I cannot get any grip on it. The nut is possibly 1. 75 inches across the flats. I've trailed the local plumbing centres for a tool but normal domestic fittings do not go to this size and anyway the typical basin wrench would not go into the recess. Before totally dismantling the basin table and sink I thought I would ask fellow caravanners for advise. My caravan is a Geist LV 535 and I'm located in North Wales. Any takers?

Hi Everyone, I'm preparing my caravan for the new season. When I tested the water supply I noticed I was leaking water from the bathroom sink tap. Closer examination revealed the cold water tail had been pushed out presumably due to iceing during the winter. All attempts to push the tail back in were fruitless, it would go in only so far and no further. I then decided to remove the tap thinking I would stand a better chance of reinserting the tail. Unfortunately, the plastic nut securing the tap is in a recess and I cannot get any grip on it. The nut is possibly 1. 75 inches across the flats. I've trailed the local plumbing centres for a tool but normal domestic fittings do not go to this size and anyway the typical basin wrench would not go into the recess. Before totally dismantling the basin table and sink I thought I would ask fellow caravanners for advise. My caravan is a Geist LV 535 and I'm located in North Wales. Any takers?

Providing the locating hole in the sink for the tap is round the following usually works.

Squirt some WD40 or similar round the base of the tap, now using the thumb and index finger on one hand grip the nut, with the other hand turn the tap anti-clockwise when viewed from the top. If you cannot reach them both get someone to help.

If that does not work I would contact a caravan repair shop, Reich taps are very popular so they will have a spanner for the job.

Good Luck

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Thank you I will try in the morning. THere is very little to grip on the tap base but I believe it's worth a try. Failing that as you suggest it may require professional intervention. Thanks again.

Tony

I had a similar problem. I used a punch and a hammer (engineers adjustable spanner) a judicious tap on the nut anti clockwise and hey presto the nut was free.

Hope this helps

Terry

Most Halfords sell cheap box spanner sets, both metric and imperial. You probably need metric. I had similar broblem with one of my taps. Useful tools to keep in van.

Cheers

Right, here’s an update on my Reich Mixer Tap problem. Thank you to everyone who offered assistance, it’s nice to know that you are never alone at Caravan Talk. Thanks also to Geist whose crackpot design sent me down the road of acute frustration.

The problem was how to insert a displaced cold water pipe back into the tap base and when this was not possible how to remove a tap from the work surface when the securing nut was recessed so far into the underside of the table as to be virtually impossible to attack it with a spanner, punch or fingers. Also so deep as to be impossible to accurately measure the dimensions of said nut.

After many frustrating hours (days) the penny dropped, what I wanted was a box spanner. I would obviously have to remove the hot water hose and disconnect the micro switch wiring. In attempting to remove the pipe I snapped it. Not a problem they are only £2. 99 + postage from EBay. A quick ring round my friends and associates failed to locate such a box spanner. Not helped by my inability to give a definitive size. Eventually my searches took me to my local garage who volunteered a selection of sockets 36mm to 45mm. It transpires the correct size is 38mm. Nut off. Hurrah the entire family joins me in a celebratory dance around the garden. When I examined the tap more closely I note there is a securing insert which must be opened to insert the pipe and withdrawn to remove it. This insert, had I have known about it in advance, can not be operated whilst the tap is in situ. So now we are ready to go, broken pipe removed from base, two new pipes ordered and a trip organized for the weekend. Hope this helps any future enquirers

• 1 year later...

Right, here’s an update on my Reich Mixer Tap problem. Thank you to everyone who offered assistance, it’s nice to know that you are never alone at Caravan Talk. Thanks also to Geist whose crackpot design sent me down the road of acute frustration.

The problem was how to insert a displaced cold water pipe back into the tap base and when this was not possible how to remove a tap from the work surface when the securing nut was recessed so far into the underside of the table as to be virtually impossible to attack it with a spanner, punch or fingers. Also so deep as to be impossible to accurately measure the dimensions of said nut.

After many frustrating hours (days) the penny dropped, what I wanted was a box spanner. I would obviously have to remove the hot water hose and disconnect the micro switch wiring. In attempting to remove the pipe I snapped it. Not a problem they are only £2. 99 + postage from EBay. A quick ring round my friends and associates failed to locate such a box spanner. Not helped by my inability to give a definitive size. Eventually my searches took me to my local garage who volunteered a selection of sockets 36mm to 45mm. It transpires the correct size is 38mm. Nut off. Hurrah the entire family joins me in a celebratory dance around the garden. When I examined the tap more closely I note there is a securing insert which must be opened to insert the pipe and withdrawn to remove it. This insert, had I have known about it in advance, can not be operated whilst the tap is in situ. So now we are ready to go, broken pipe removed from base, two new pipes ordered and a trip organized for the weekend. Hope this helps any future enquirers

hi tonyddol just a quick question, i have the same problem with my tap, washroom and kitchen, its the first time this year we have used our van and first noticed the washroom tap was leaking in the same way as you described then today whilst having a walk around my van i noticed a small damp patch on the floor outside right above the kitchen sink it had ran down around the inside of the wheel arch and dripped onto the floor must have found its way out.

anyway my question is did you have any luck fixing the tap or did you buy a new one, i have noticed 2 small metal pins in the tap presumably they need to be removed to push the tails in completely then push the pins back in what i need to know is did you replace the rubber O ring on the tail or did you just push the tail in and lock it off.

are these taps designed to pop the tails out in the event of a frosty winter?

if anyone has any advice i would be grateful as its going to be an expensive winter if i have to buy new taps my caravan shop wants £54 for each tap not what i wanted to hear and i havent even looked at the shower tap yet.

john

Right, here's an update on my Reich Mixer Tap problem. Thank you to everyone who offered assistance, it's nice to know that you are never alone at Caravan Talk. Thanks also to Geist whose crackpot design sent me down the road of acute frustration.

ring a ding ding palwink.gif had the very same fault,bought 2 new inserts from ebay and with some grease manadged to push the lock!!(mine was in half)back in and hey presto sorted,(but i did snap trying to bend 3fold in the cubord)darn frost!!!!!!!(left my tap closed!!!!darn prat!!)but all ok now

happy vaning

phil

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

• 2 months later...

ring a ding ding palwink.gif had the very same fault,bought 2 new inserts from ebay and with some grease manadged to push the lock!!(mine was in half)back in and hey presto sorted,(but i did snap trying to bend 3fold in the cubord)darn frost!!!!!!!(left my tap closed!!!!darn prat!!)but all ok now

happy vaning

phil

hi phil thanx for your message only just found it lol,

all fixed now but had to buy a new kitchen tap and replaced O rings in bathroom tap then used bathroom sealent when pushing the tails back in, all seams to be fine and dandy lol, i think i will disconnect the taps in the winter from now on just in case lol.