Car Supermarkets

ChrisUK

I was just looking at the newspaper ad, and then went onto the motorpoint web site. Seems to infer some of their cars are imports (Eire ?) but does not specify which. Do you get the full warrenty from the manufacturer? The fact that it is an import I suppose could effect the insurance. I suppose I could have rung them up but I'm sure someone here will give me the buyers view.

Any input please.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Hi Chris,

I know somebody who imported a Zafira and when he came to trade it in he was quoted less than a UK version so you may need to take that into account. As far as I'm aware most cars have Europe wide warranties so should be covered though you would need to check with the manufacturer of your chosen car,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I have bought cars from two supermarkets, Motorpoint in Burnley and Autopoint in Bradford (now defunct). One was an import (Seat Leon) but both were 100% UK specs. I didn't have a problem with either. and got the current market value when trading both in.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Car supermarkets get their cars from a variety of sources - franchised dealers get the best vehicles for their "manufacturer approved" schemes so if you compare car supermarket prices with franchised dealers you aren't comparing like-with-like.

One of the car supermarkets in Cannock (there's more than one and I can't remember which) was successfully prosecuted by Staffordshire Trading Standards because it was importing rhd Opels from Eire and Malta and re-badging them as Vauxhalls - it's the re-badging that's illegal, not the import from other countries.

For grey imports, the pan-European manufacturers' warranty applies for the first 12 months from date of original registration - the three year warranty, now common, on official imports sold in the UK doesn't apply to grey imports - retailers may offer their own warranty but it isn't manufacturer-based.

The specification for other countries can, and does, vary from the UK specification - this can include rust-proofing even in this day and age, equipment specification, security specification, In-car entertainment specification and ocassionally body panel differences.

My own view on grey imports is:-

1) for a model which simply isn't available officially in the UK - as long as you aware of the pitfalls, then go for it.

2) for a model which is similar to an official UK model - ask why it's been imported and who's getting the cash benefit - I can't imagine touching one with a bargepole.

You WILL suffer pressure selling,

My experience, was a small deposit, but sign up there and then or loose the car, no time allowed to obtain your own finance

We Bought our Daughter a Skoda Faba ( excellent small car BTW ) from Carcraft Lakeside, and the deal had to be cut there and then using their “free “ finance, which was loaded into the price, but has no exit penalty and with the interest refunded, 7 day insurance was included, all set up to get you drive the car out there and then,

The 150 point check was flawed, how can you miss a front sidelight bulb not working, but not just blown, no bulb in place !! ;)

Having said that the car was a good buy, warranted low mileage, FSH, and was ex RBS via a lease company .

Would I use them again mmmmmm not sure :unsure:

We did something I never do, which was to buy with the heart and not the head , we were under a bit of pressure as my Daughter was having problems getting her 8. 5 month lump behind the wheel of her Micra and the Micra, being 2 door was not ideal for carry cots etc, and the Skoda was perfect.

When I got home having signed the deal , I did some price checking and found the car to be at the top end ( very!!) of the price range for the year, A lesson learned

Thanks for the warning, I knew I would get another slant on the topic. I won't bother, esp. as the nearest is a few hour drive.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

You WILL suffer pressure selling,

When I got home having signed the deal , I did some price checking and found the car to be at the top end ( very!!) of the price range for the year, A lesson learned

Maybe that is why an owner of one of the Car Supermarkets lives in a multi million pound house overlooking a fine stretch of water and the moors beyond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

I bought a European import Toyota Previa from TradeSales (Slough) in 2002 at 20% discount on list. Equipment levels very similar (not identical). Minor warranty issues were fine. Servicing prices were the same, never any problem getting the few spares needed, insurance wasn't loaded.

When I sold it privately last year, the fact that it was an import was mentioned by a couple of potential buyers but I don't think it affected the sale (the fact that it was a petrol MPV instead of diesel was a much bigger issue).

I had much bigger problems trying to buy from an internet dealer last year, eventually ended up going to a local dealer.

I would seriously consider buying from a car supermarket again if the price (compared with other sources) was significantly better, but would give preference to a local supplier if price is similar.

Car supermarkets get their cars from a variety of sources - franchised dealers get the best vehicles for their "manufacturer approved" schemes so if you compare car supermarket prices with franchised dealers you aren't comparing like-with-like.

One of the car supermarkets in Cannock (there's more than one and I can't remember which) was successfully prosecuted by Staffordshire Trading Standards because it was importing rhd Opels from Eire and Malta and re-badging them as Vauxhalls - it's the re-badging that's illegal, not the import from other countries.

For grey imports, the pan-European manufacturers' warranty applies for the first 12 months from date of original registration - the three year warranty, now common, on official imports sold in the UK doesn't apply to grey imports - retailers may offer their own warranty but it isn't manufacturer-based.

The specification for other countries can, and does, vary from the UK specification - this can include rust-proofing even in this day and age,

All cars body goes into the same process. only specifications vary.

equipment specification, security specification, In-car entertainment specification and ocassionally body panel differences.

My own view on grey imports is:-

1) for a model which simply isn't available officially in the UK - as long as you aware of the pitfalls, then go for it.

2) for a model which is similar to an official UK model - ask why it's been imported and who's getting the cash benefit - I can't imagine touching one with a bargepole.

Edited by Guest

We bought our Kia Sorento from a car supermarket about 2 1/2 years ago.

It was 20 months old with only 5000 miles on the clock but looking around the vehicle and at the paperwork I could find nothing to be suspicious about.

We knew

about this vehicle as my sister-in-law has one and uses it for towing a horse box, swears by the car and has recently bought a new one.

We were subject to fairly intense pressure from the salesman but he allowed us to use their computer/internet connection to do a thorough search of reviews and prices. having done that we decided it was a good deal and bought it for cash.

I have had no cause to regret our purchase but the supermarket went bust about a month later, new one in its place almost immediately! Kosher business? Yeah right!!

Edited by mack100

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

A large car supermarket next to the M62 near Leeds got some unwanted publicity a while back on Radio Leeds when it emerged that their `drive-away` claims meant just that.

In other words, once you signed up you had to remove the car INSTANTLY (no insurance- not their problem) or face a massive `storage` fee. punters were complaining that they had bought a car for many thousands and were effectively being forced to drive it off the site before they had a chance to arrange insurance.

The Company of course denied this. It must have been an orchestrated plan to discredit their name (apparently), or people that`just didn`t understand`.

You just need to decide who to believe. .......

only bought one car from a supermarket - motorpoint in derby - no problems although there was no discussion on their selling price and terrible part exchange deal (didn't do it - gave it daughter instead). from other experiences, there is one supermarket near sheffield who i would not recommend anyone to go to.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I bought a new model Mondeo Estate from Motorpoint Glasgow in December. Price was much better than my local Ford dealer and Motorpoint had a beter choice of cars as well. Trade in for my car was actually better than I had been quoted locally. OK, no haggling over price, but I was happy with the deal I got. The car was a UK model, and as it happens it has been in my local Ford dealer a couple of times for (fairly minor) warranty work, all done with no quibble at all and at no cost to me.

No complaints at all about Motorpoint service, which was very good. Even since December however, I think the local Ford dealer has caught up with them. My wife got a new Focus from them 2 weeks ago at a very good price, beating even Motorpoint, and the trade in on her old Focus was actually more than we expected.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Motorpoint, but given the state of the car market at the moment, I also wouldn't ignore the local garages. Some good deals around.

Edited by PeteG

I had a Megane cabrio from TradeSales in Slough which I think was a grey import but the local Renault garage were more than happy to look after it. It's a 51 reg and sailed through it's MOT today(total cost £15. 95, well pleased!) I've had two cars from Motorpont Derby and DD1 had her car there too. We've been very happy with all of them, especially my latest which I got in November 2008 with a whopping £2600 of it paid for with Tesco vouchers. Motorpoint have since pulled out of Tesco deals but I don't think it was all my fault!

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

We bought our last new car through a website called Tins which was part of the Pendragon Group (who own Stratstone,Evans Halshaw and Chatfields), We bought a brand new Renault RX4 with about £3500 off the retail price. The car was ordered and paid for then a few days later it there was a call from Tins who said the car would be delivered the following day. The car arrived with with a guided tour by the rep who dropped off the car. It turns out the car was supplied by Sutton Park Renault in Stoke on Trent. It was an official UK car and we had a small problem which my wife may have missed or we got a stone through one of the foglights on its first trip when she came over to my work place to show me the car. But they sorted it out and we had a dog guard on order so they even offered to come and collect the car and leave us a loan car while they fitted a new light and the dog guard! Brilliant service.

We are about to buy a new car possibly this weekend so I have done a load of homework looking at every option we may want and priced it all up so I have seen almost every car, that fits our list, available on Auto Trader and eBay. No chance of being charged top dollar and no spec surprises as we know exactly what we are looking at when we go out and even have a cheat sheet to take when we go out. Being prepaired is important and we have almost sorted out a deal on our next car before we even spend time driving over to see the dealer. The whole car Supermarket thing can be good if you have done your homework aready and all you need to do is check the actual condition of the car.

It is all about studying up and making sure you know as much about the car as possible.

Builder of the Fastest Sports bikes in Europe. EX Nurburgring Lap Record holder 7m 17sec. 600cc of pure adrenaline!

Seat Freetrack, Bailey Olympus 534. Yamaha R1, Yamaha RD200 project, Aprilia RS250 trackday/race bike, Tuned 125cc Honda CRF50 supermotard, Ducati 900SS.

Hi,

I have heard bad stories about certain outlets but I have heard nothing but good about Andrew's Auto Parc, in Harrogate. I have no connection with the company but talking with the locals, Andrews are a good company to deal with.

I suppose there's good and bad in all car Supermarkets, though I have no doubt that somebody will be along soon to say that Andrews are a pack of shysters :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Visited most around the Midlands, bought from a few.

Carcraft - Pressure selling, not that cheap, want you to have their finance, not interested in a deal if you have cash.

Motorpoint - Hidden charges, limited backup, prep work not done.

Motorhouse 2000 - Good price, no pressure, limited backup, car not fully pdi'd.

Available Car - No pressure but deals not much better than dealers.

Ian Shiptons - Friendly but stock not in the best condition IMO.

Direct Cars Sheffield - Head and shoulders above the rest, no pressure and very friendly but will work hard on a deal for you, great backup if things go wrong and one of the cheapest around.

Have bought from MH2K and Motorpoint and I'm on my third from Direct Cars.

www. directcars. co. uk

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.