Had It With Powrtouch,

pbeecroft

Im not going into details but the powrtouch mover is going. Had Enough.

It seems there "legendary" service has its faults at least in my case. At least I didnt have to take them to court. Will persuade Father in-law into cancelling his order too.

So I will need two movers for two twin axle caravans. What is the reccomendation now. Truma TE ?.

Anybody recommend someone who will do a deal on two can be fitted at the same place same day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for recommendation my signature gives you my preference.

Regarding suggesting a dealer to fit them at the same location, it would have helped if you had given us clue to your whereabouts

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Cambridge/East Anglia would be good. Going to try my local dealer but they are not competitive in most cases.

I looked at the reichs before. I have some very agrresive speed bumps and a caravan (single axle) has already had his Reich (might of been rhyno) bent out of place.

This was another reason why I went for the vapourware innovation from powrtouch.

As for recommendation my signature gives you my preference.

Regarding suggesting a dealer to fit them at the same location, it would have helped if you had given us clue to your whereabouts

How does your "signature" show your preference, your profile lists a Reich mover. If FM02MZO is your registration number, with your full name and your location given, do you not think you are giving away too much personal information?

Hi,

I think this is the first dissenting voice I've heard regarding Powrtouch it's disappointing and I hope standards are not slipping,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi,

I think this is the first dissenting voice I've heard regarding Powrtouch it's disappointing and I hope standards are not slipping,

Regards,

Ian.

I beleive what he is referring to is that he placed an order for the promised new celebration generation of powermover and they have not been able to deliver/develop this in the current economic climate.

Fair enough it is a free world and you must make your decision accordingly.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

I beleive what he is referring to is that he placed an order for the promised new celebration generation of powermover and they have not been able to deliver/develop this in the current economic climate.

Fair enough it is a free world and you must make your decision accordingly.

Hi Alan,

That explains it. I don't suppose they can supply what they don't manufacture though I do wonder why it was promised if they couldn't develop it, maybe a bit of an own goal I think,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Alan,

That explains it. I don't suppose they can supply what they don't manufacture though I do wonder why it was promised if they couldn't develop it, maybe a bit of an own goal I think,

Regards,

Ian.

I think PBEECROFT will find that Truma also own Powertouch these days :rolleyes: So they will get your money either way if you go that route.

Have to say, I find the Powertouch3 mover excellent - so obviously going to be difficult to improve on the market leading product.

I can only surmise that Truma management put a stop on the Powertouch R&D in favour of their Truma with a view to merging the two at some date in the future.

I personally would approach Powertouch to see what "deal" they could offer for the failure to deliver the new product. :D

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

I have a powrtouch fitted to my Bailey Senator Wyoming twin axle and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as I am unimpressed with them. It takes about 20 minutes and a lot of sideways pushing to turn the van round and it will not climb the plastic leveller ramps. After emails and visits, Powrtouch came to the conclusion that, although my serial number says I should have a 4 wheel mover, I only have a two wheel (fitted at the dealers). It is also fitted to the front axle not he rear (as I asked the dealer to fit it on the rear) as it was too much trouble to move the spare wheel carrier. Powrtouch offered me a further pair of movers fitted at £500 but would not move any hoses or pipes which then meant possible problems between the dealership and Powrtouch and in any case ' it would not make a significant difference' (their words) So I declined the offer. Incidentally, my mover rollers have flat spots two on each roller) which don't help matters, Powrtouch say however that these are casting faults and will not replace them.

Very disillusioned

Teardrop

I have a powrtouch fitted to my Bailey Senator Wyoming twin axle and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as I am unimpressed with them. It takes about 20 minutes and a lot of sideways pushing to turn the van round and it will not climb the plastic leveller ramps. After emails and visits, Powrtouch came to the conclusion that, although my serial number says I should have a 4 wheel mover, I only have a two wheel (fitted at the dealers). It is also fitted to the front axle not he rear (as I asked the dealer to fit it on the rear) as it was too much trouble to move the spare wheel carrier. Powrtouch offered me a further pair of movers fitted at £500 but would not move any hoses or pipes which then meant possible problems between the dealership and Powrtouch and in any case ' it would not make a significant difference' (their words) So I declined the offer. Incidentally, my mover rollers have flat spots two on each roller) which don't help matters, Powrtouch say however that these are casting faults and will not replace them.

Very disillusioned

Teardrop

Surely that isn't Powertouch's fault - your dealer fitted the wrong mover, you have a twin axle so need a twin axle mover. Sorry but I really cannot see how you can blame Powertouch, I wold be having strong words with the dealer.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Very disillusioned

Teardrop

I have a 4wd Powertouch fitted to my Senator Loiusiana twin axle, i can turn my van through 180 degrees on a loose hardstanding (uphill) in about 3 minutes, possibly less. You will never turn a twin axle quickly with 2 motors of whatever make, you need the pulsing motion on two of the motors whilst the other two turn the van.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I think PBEECROFT will find that Truma also own Powertouch these days :rolleyes: So they will get your money either way if you go that route.

Have to say, I find the Powertouch3 mover excellent - so obviously going to be difficult to improve on the market leading product.

I can only surmise that Truma management put a stop on the Powertouch R&D in favour of their Truma with a view to merging the two at some date in the future.

I personally would approach Powertouch to see what "deal" they could offer for the failure to deliver the new product. :D

Alan - Truma don't own PowerTouch - the main shareholder in Truma owns PowerTouch - it's not quite the same but it may have an effect on their competition in years to come.

I think I recall PowerTouch offering to install a PowerTouch 3 for the same price as an Innovation AND to swap them over WHEN the Innovation was available - I agree that negotiating with PowerTouch could be beneficial.

I wonder how true that is -- It was talked about when they were taken over -- but strenuously denied. .. at the time

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

After emails and visits, Powrtouch came to the conclusion that, although my serial number says I should have a 4 wheel mover, I only have a two wheel (fitted at the dealers). It is also fitted to the front axle not he rear (as I asked the dealer to fit it on the rear) as it was too much trouble to move the spare wheel carrier. Powrtouch offered me a further pair of movers fitted at £500 but would not move any hoses or pipes which then meant possible problems between the dealership and Powrtouch and in any case ' it would not make a significant difference' (their words)

Teardrop

This is very interesting, I had a pair of Powrtouch movers on my caravan, driving the front wheels only and used that configuration for nearly three years and agree that you had to assist the caravan during use. I also had a few problems with the units as they were running very close to their limit. Towards the end of last year I had the 'four wheel drive' units fitted and what a difference. I am often amazed at how tight I can turn the 'van, in fact, sometimes it more or less pivots on the inner wheels depending on the surface. I am surprised that Powrtouch said ' it would not make a significant difference' having two pairs.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Cambridge/East Anglia would be good. Going to try my local dealer but they are not competitive in most cases.

I looked at the reichs before. I have some very agrresive speed bumps and a caravan (single axle) has already had his Reich (might of been rhyno) bent out of place.

This was another reason why I went for the vapourware innovation from powrtouch.

I have had Reich twin axle movers on two vans now, I do far more mileage than the average caravanner, I have used all the Channel and Irish Sea ferries and have had no problems so far, as for speed bumps they are no problem neither whatsoever.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

What is it with these movers?

Am I missing something or is everyone else?

Most of us seem to praise them a tad too much.

Ok, agreed, I have a Powrtouch model 3 and it works and so it darned well should. The thing only does 50 yards per year! On that basis, all movers should last forever!

Another thing. People, including me, say that the Powrtouch after care is brilliant.

Ok, agreed, it is. They came out to me without a fuss. But so they darned well should. Too many people have experienced this great after care and this begs an even bigger question: how do all these people know the after care is fabulous? The answer is simple and obvious. The movers must obviously break down alot.

Now lets ask the question: how good are these movers. ...... really?

Laurie.

Swift Fairway 540 & Kia Sorento Titan Auto

Follow My Twitterings

388044000975.jpg Our photos with our camp site reviews.

I have owned a Powrtouch for nearly five years now and have nothng but praise for the product, it has recently been transferred to our new caravan. We needed new rollers and the very next day they arrived at no charge. I was talking to the independant ftter who was fitting the mover to our new van. He was telling me a customer of his who had a Powrtouch. Whilst in Spain he had a problem with it, within one hour there was an engineer there to rectify the problem.

All manufacturers will have the odd rogue unit but its how the problem is dealt with that really counts.

Lauriesandra

Well, when you are Eighty and walking without a slip disc through pushing caravans all your life, you maybe able to answer that question for us !! ;)

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

I think the fact that movers are used intermittently and are exposed to everything that the caravan wheels throw at them must be a major factor in designing a good mover

Edited by kevinktwo

I think the fact that movers are used intermittently and are exposed to everything that the caravan wheels throw at them must be a major factor in designing a good mover

Good Post :)

& what other product would give a 5 year guarantee for use in the same conditions, & without demanding that it has a yearly service

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

What is it with these movers?

Am I missing something or is everyone else?

Most of us seem to praise them a tad too much.

Ok, agreed, I have a Powrtouch model 3 and it works and so it darned well should. The thing only does 50 yards per year! On that basis, all movers should last forever!

Another thing. People, including me, say that the Powrtouch after care is brilliant.

Ok, agreed, it is. They came out to me without a fuss. But so they darned well should. Too many people have experienced this great after care and this begs an even bigger question: how do all these people know the after care is fabulous? The answer is simple and obvious. The movers must obviously break down alot.

Hi Laurie,

I think that ours is good because it makes life much more convenient as we don't need to arrange for people to be in attendance to push the 'van up the drive. As to which is best, I don't know as I've only ever owned one. Quality wise, I think that many people on here have had to use the aftersales service because of such thinga as losing the remote, driving over the remote user error etc. Personally I can't think of any major issues that were down to Powrtouch,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

I had one of the original Carver ones, that was awful and couldn't move the skin of a rice pudding, let alone a 'van up a steep drive.

I then had a model 3 Powrtouch - superb bit of kit, never let me down, was fitted to two different 'vans and did what it said on the tin

Then had the Model 6 on a twin axle 'van - again, no problems. I managed to clip the front rollers going round a sharp bend - all sorted by Powrtouch at my home and at no expense and with no dramas.

Now I have a single axle again, I have a new Model 3 Powrtouch - again, no dramas, moves my Swift with ease.

I wouldn't be without mine, being slightly disabled and frankly, I wouldn't touch any other make after the superb aftercare that I have had - if they made caravans, I'd probably buy one, in fact. .................. ;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi Martin,

As one of the few posters to have owned more than one mover I think you are more qualified, than most of us, to make a comparison. I suppose as time goes by there will be more people who have owned different types but at the moment, I could be wrong, I suspect most of us have only used one type and can only comment on that particular make,

Regards,

Ian.

This is very interesting, I had a pair of Powrtouch movers on my caravan, driving the front wheels only and used that configuration for nearly three years and agree that you had to assist the caravan during use. I also had a few problems with the units as they were running very close to their limit. Towards the end of last year I had the 'four wheel drive' units fitted and what a difference. I am often amazed at how tight I can turn the 'van, in fact, sometimes it more or less pivots on the inner wheels depending on the surface. I am surprised that Powrtouch said ' it would not make a significant difference' having two pairs.

Gerry

Yes,colger23, possibly on loose gravel but my drive is concrete and the difference on hard ground such as that really would leave the wheels scuffing sideways just the same. I am not prepared to spend a further £500 to find out.

JanB, I think that the dealer gave me poor advice but there is nothing 'wrong' with the equipment that I have ended up with it is just not man enough for the job. You pay to learn. I have learnt.

Teardrop