Delivery Delay

alecsmart

Ordered a Bailey Pageant Provence before Christmas and given a build date of early March. Have now been told that build has been put back about three weeks due to problems with Thompson Plastics going under and Bailey having to retrieve the moulds (shower tray I believe). Getting a bit worried as we are hoping to go away over the Easter holidays.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Thanks

Kia Sorento GT Line

Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2016

It is a genuine problem for Bailey and Swift, possibly others, because of the demise of Thompson Plastics and then Thompson Technik who took production on after the former went bust but went bust a couple of months later - moulds have been retrieved where owned or bought off the Receiver when not owned.

Contact Bailey customer services for a situation update and press your dealer to keep you updated.

Ordered a new swift at the show in october, told it would be on the feb production run . not arrived then told march 21st . now told it will be delayed again. first told it was waiting for upholstery, now its waiting for a shower. If it does not arrive before easter then i wont be takin it, will wait for a 2010.

Edited by magic dragon

chevrolet captiva ltx followed by a swift challenger 540

Ordered a new swift at the show in october, told it would be on the feb production run . not arrived then told march 21st . now told it will be delayed again. first told it was waiting for upholstery, now its waiting for a shower. If it does not arrive before easter then i wont be takin it, will wait for a 2010.

Hi,

If somebody (anybody) was holding my deposit, I would be biting my nails.

Guest John KS

I have learned by bitter experience. Only ever buy what I can see and tow away!!!!

Only once left a deposit for an order on a caravan and had to wait.

Edited by John KS

I have learned by bitter experience. Only ever buy what I can see and tow away!!!!

Only once left a deposit for an order on a caravan and had to wait.

Hi John,

That was my experience with the present 'van, and what sold it to me, as the Dealer had them in stock and I only had to wait a matter of days,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Guest John KS

Hi Ian

I am always amazed that people are prepared to take the risk in ordering a van, paying a deposit to someone who is giving you a promise on delivery when they have no control over it. I am even more amazed that they would order one at a caravan show.

In these days of uncertain economic times it all seems like a kiss and a prayer!

The dealer near us who has just taken on Bailey I was talking to him the other day and he was sying that he was having to wait 5 MONTHS for new vans. .

still not had those due in February. .!!!

His Swift's were just about on target

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Baileys are notorious for long delivery waits. Our last one was ordered in November 2000 and eventually arrived at the end of May 2001! Had to take the old van to the dealer and transfer all the contents there and then and went straight off for the B/H weekend! Our Coachman, on the other hand, was delivered 1 week after seeing it and ordering it at Glossop. QED.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Well our Bailey was delivered exactly on the day it was promised, and that was after ordering it around 3 months in advance.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Baileys are notorious for long delivery waits. Our last one was ordered in November 2000 and eventually arrived at the end of May 2001! Had to take the old van to the dealer and transfer all the contents there and then and went straight off for the B/H weekend! Our Coachman, on the other hand, was delivered 1 week after seeing it and ordering it at Glossop. QED.

Long delivery waits are due mainly to high customer demand - despite long lead times Bailey quote a delivery date to dealer within a few days of order and in normal times will meet or beat the quoted time - some dealers are less open and less scrupulous than others and the current production delays due to supplier insolvency is leading to some slippage.

Many dealers are finding extreme difficulty in obtaining "stock credit" so the availability of stock caravans is reducing dramatically - the ability to purchase from stock may disappear completely until the credit crunch is over. Indeed any purchaser should be asking why a dealer has a particular caravan in stock (assuming it's not their demonstrator) - has it already been rejected by previous purchasers and put back on sale?

Many dealers are finding extreme difficulty in obtaining "stock credit" so the availability of stock caravans is reducing dramatically - the ability to purchase from stock may disappear completely until the credit crunch is over. Indeed any purchaser should be asking why a dealer has a particular caravan in stock (assuming it's not their demonstrator) - has it already been rejected by previous purchasers and put back on sale?

Hi Roger

I am very curious to know where you got your information from.

Pete.

Guest John KS
Hi Roger

I am very curious to know where you got your information from.

Pete.

So am I. Our local Discover has got loads of stock vans. Some people don't know what they are talking about!

It's not supposed to be secret, is it?

Hi Roger

Far from it, I am just wondering if this is your opinion or is it fact when you say that 'many dealers are finding extreme difficulty in obtaining stock credit'.

If it is fact perhaps you could tell us your source.

Thanks

Pete.

Still waiting for my Odyssey since ordering December 2nd. Would have had it sooner but delay in Explorer getting the IDC unit from Germany. IDC was an afterthought to take advantage of the VAT reduction. Van now with the dealer as of this week, hope we're on the home straight now to collect and pay off.

Some of you will be staggered that I traded my much loved Ranger in as deposit as I thought holding onto it over winter would be a liability! Sod's law and all that. It sold very quickly. You will imagine the night sweats I've woken up with over this as the financial world has collapsed no van, unfamiliar dealer, holidays booked. God, I'm sweating again!

D

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

I have had five new Baileys - and without exception, all have been delivered when the Dealers told me they would. One arrived two weeks ahead of schedule.

Same with my Swift Group 'vans too, though I admit the latest one was in stock when I bought it.

It all seems very uncertain out there, with Makers waiting on various parts to complete 'vans from what I've been told recently and that includes Coachman, Bailey and Swift Group too. Thompson's going under, the major supplier of washroom gear, is proving quite a headache for the Makers, I understand.

Some of the big Dealers, Michael Jordan Caravans, Discover etc seem to have a healthy supply available of all makes and models - I guess that is through large forward orders.

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi.

Have a Bailey Senator California on order and have been told it will be ready by mid-March, but now i`m not sure as the dealer has said that Baileys have not given a delivery date yet.

Regards ob. :angry:

Hyundai Santa Fe GSI CRTD,Bailey Senator California.

Now on new Bailey number 5. Two were on time, one was a week or so late and one was early, the remaining one was in stock when we bought it.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Pete

I've made a point - if you want to dispute it or debate it that's fine.

Hi Roger

The difficulty I have is with people who make sweeping statements about a subject and are then not able to back their statement up.

You, as a moderator and prolific poster, could be interpreted by some to be an expert and your postings taken as gospel when this is clearly not the case. As a moderator, do you not feel you have a duty to others and should be more careful about distinguishing fact from opinion in your posts?

Pete.

These forums would be practically void of topics and replies if the pre-requisite was: the poster must know what he's talking about before posting. :lol:

If you want gospel - try religion, but be warned - they can't agree on which God was God. :D

Laurie.

Swift Fairway 540 & Kia Sorento Titan Auto

Follow My Twitterings

388044000975.jpg Our photos with our camp site reviews.