Choice Of 2 Vans, Which Would You Choose?

lil_me

We're currently 'considering' changing van this year, we love caravanning which we started last June. HWMBO wants a fixed bed, we need longer not bunks for my giant 8 year old so we've looked around and tied between 2. Decision was partly made for us because these are lightweight 6s.

Bailey Ranger GT60 620/6 http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/rangergt60/ranger. htm

Sprite Quattro FB (inc Diamond Pack) http://www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/sprite/sprite-range

Price wise there isn't much between them, with the trade in etc the Bailey was about £700 more

Given the choice, which would you choose?

Also interested for current owners opinion on either van

Hi,

I think that you may well get biased opinion, good or bad, on this so I would go with what suits you. All manufacturer's 'vans could have a problem so reliability is not the reason for choice so I would think that the £700 difference would influence my choice. That is my opinion as independant as I can be as a Bailey owner so it's purely down to finance :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I'm not sure. .. difficult choice. I would have to sit inside them and see which one I felt most comfortable with. When I was looking last September, I looked at the Sprites and found them a little bit drab colourwise inside, though I have not looked at the 09 models. I love my Abbey, though which as you know is from the Swift stable, like the Sprite.

I think you can sit and weigh up all the features in a rational way for ever but for me it comes down to how it feels when you see them and sit in them.

Good luck with whichever you choose!

Very difficult. As Ian has pointed out,we are all going to be subjective. Look them over again. If all else fails,which decor/upholstery do you prefer-everything else being equal?I know it sounds trivial,but things you look at on a regular basis begin to count when there is a visual aspect that really "jars."

Not owning a van (yet :) ) my replay should be unbiased.

I would recommend that you try and get the `feel` of the van perhaps at a caravan show or dealers if you can find one with both vans on display.

We have looked at the Baily 500/5 and Major 5, and one (no name to keep it unbiased) just `felt right`.

I'm a fan of both. I have had several new Baileys and several new Swift Group 'vans too. They are both good makes and aftercare on both makes is good too, although you will always find people that are not happy with either Maker.

As others have said - take your time - you will decide which one when you are ready.

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

We've been inside both, feel the same

Main differences we noticed -

No window in the door of the Sprite

No roof light in 'bedroom' of Sprite so looked a bit 'dark' at that end

No stereo in Sprite

Prefered the interior finish of the Sprite

Sprite has a great TV bracket I liked

Sprite has a curtain for the shower, Bailey has screen

Sprite shower area looked less waterproof. ....if that makes sense

More 240v plug sockets in Bailey

Bailey has a wet locker

Sprite has large single window at the front, Bailey has 3 windows

Bailey has a really handy drop down table which extends cooking surface in kitchen

Bailey has alloy wheels, Sprite is steel wheels

I 'think' the stabaliser bar on the Bailey is a better one

Bailey has a microwave but unsure if I would ever use it

Bailey has a board at the end of one of the front singles which would be more restricting for my son

Sprite has 3 ring hob, Bailey has 4

We're currently Swift owners and have been impressed with their customer service

:blink: Now you know why we're stuck!

Oh someone said the Bailey would hold it's value better?

Edited by lil_me

I think, after some consideration, I would probably go with the Bailey. You just seem to get a bit more for your money, as I said earlier, the Sprite range just seemed a bit basic compared to say the Swift range or the Bailey GT60 range.

There. ..made a decision.

Easy when it's on paper, so to speak!

Guest John KS

I think it looks like you like the Swift. Why don't you move up the range from the entry level Sprite and go for a Charisma. I don't know why people are comparing the Sprite with the Bailey. They are different vans in different classes. I know it is more expensive but it is a better van than both the others.

The Charisma does not however seem to come in that lay-out.

re your pros and cons. ...

window in door is no great loss

we find we keep the blind on the roof light over the bed closed most of the time

the Diamond pack will give you a stereo

interior finish is important

tv bracket is handy

screen is better than curtain in shower. .....curtains cling

not sure what you mean about the "waterproofness"

more sockets is good, but extra ones are easily added

wet locker is handy

3 front windows look nicer than one big one IMHO

extra worktop space is always good

alloy wheels are nice

do they not both have an AKS 3004 stabiliser?

microwave can be handy

we rarely need more than 3 rings, but how many are you cooking for?

we have found the Swift customer service to be good

it's not easy to choose, is it?

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

Guest iancjc
Sorry, But I wouldn't go for either of these, I would go for a Hymer! http://www. hymer. ag/cms/index. php?id=67

Build quality is far better, plus prices have dropped a fraction.

Where can you get a new Hymer caravan for 12 grand?

I love 'em but the one I looked round at the NEC was the thick end of £22k

as for which of the 2 - I had a good look at both at the NEC and liked the Ranger until I sat on the front sofa where the foam appeared really thin. ....

Thought the sprite was simply brilliant value but like you missed the roof lights etc.

Personally I'd send some of the £700 getting the dealer to fit an extra rooflight and power sockets etc and buy the sprite.

The Swift is a couple of inches wider, which may make the Bailey feel cramped when going from one to the other. Are they both at the same dealer? a good dealer can make all the difference. They may also be able to add things that are missing from one.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Thanks for all the feedback/opinions

I am the wife (well female one in the couple, we're not married) :lol:

Diamond pack doesn't come with a stereo, they're optional still from what we were told

'Waterproofness' of bathroom, the Bailey has a plastic shell inserted if you know what I mean, a screen and a lip over the bottom of the door to stop water getting out. The Sprite has vinyl wall pieces, with a join in the middle, a small gap between door and tray and a curtain.

Charisma - layout not the same and the weight. Those higher up in the Swift range comes down to weight again. Other makes do the layout but the weight is too high.

Cooking for 4-7 depending who comes with us, 5000 it would seem at the events DP does. .....that was more to point out what the differences are as I doubt we'd need 4 rings.

Both have Al-Ko stabaliser, I need to check what type, that's a point my hitchlock only fits certain ones

We've since found out same dealer can get both the Sprite and the Bailey, we viewed the Bailey at the other one as they didn't have them on display. ...well I pressumed didn't I that they couldn't get them. Anyway we've asked them to get the best prices on both caravans and improve on their trade in offer etc if possible. I also mentioned we would need a new awning so give him ideas on what would help them get our business. I think it's been useful going elsewhere to see the Bailey then back to see the Sprite again as they know we're serious about it, also nothing like putting a bit of competition in the equation. This is a larger dealer with more than 1 branch unlike the other Bailey retailer.

I suppose it all comes down to money now.

Oh and thanks for the info on roof lights and extra sockets, I didn't know that :huh: spot the newbies!

Guest Tephi

If you can find a dealer who has both models that you are interested in, and they have the room, if you ask them nicely, they should park them side by side so that you can go from one to the other as many times as you like to compare them. I've done this myself and it's an excellent way to compare vans.

Hi, probably biased as the owner of a new Baily only 4 months ago but I was impressed with two main area's on the Baily. 1stly I think the build quality of the Bailey has a slight edge over several other manufacturers, secondly Bailey definately give me the impression they genuinely care about their vans and their reputation in the caravaning community. They have poseted several replies on the Bailey formum and have offered help, and advice through it. THat alone counted for something to me. Still good luck with your choice and hope you get a great van !!

Sorry, But I wouldn't go for either of these, I would go for a Hymer! http://www. hymer. ag/cms/index. php?id=67

Build quality is far better, plus prices have dropped a fraction.

But what about the weight issue. Most Hymers gross in the region of 1600 / 1700 kgs & that is 4x4 territory

Sam

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

Thanks for all the feedback/opinions

Diamond pack doesn't come with a stereo, they're optional still from what we were told

Both have Al-Ko stabaliser, I need to check what type, that's a point my hitchlock only fits certain ones

The 2009 Diamond pack comes with a stereo. ..2008 didn't. Check whether the dealer is trying to sell you an ex demo 2008 Sprite or just trying to kit his car out :lol:

The Stabiliser in a Sprite diamond pack is an AKS3000, dunno about the Bailey but I should imagine the same.

Both these 'vans seem to have all you want, so take Mrs/Mr Lil Me and go and sit in each and just ask which she/he prefers to be in.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!