Faulty 2008 Vogue 495 Dealer A Waste Of Time

jmsgas

HI

I'm a newbie to caravaning. we bought a brand new abbey vogue 495 from discover leisure in newport in april 2008 took it out for the first time in june and found a few faults phone the dealer kept getting told that they would phone me back. they never did then the end of august i lost it and end speaking to the manager he got it booked in for the week begin 17th sept 08 he said he would get all the jobs done that didn't need any parts for or if they had parts in stock these jobs would be done and I could colect the van on the friday to have our weekend away. we turned up as we had agreed they hadn't done anything we had to wait and go over the faults with the workshop manager who promised that he would order all the parts and cantact us in 6 to 10 weeks. no contact again phoned the dealer and he said that they had not recieved the part but had tried to contact me to arrange to have the van repaired. still waiting but just want the van exchanged for a different van and i won't be using this dealer again. Has anyone else had same problems

HI

I'm a newbie to caravaning. we bought a brand new abbey vogue 495 from discover leisure in newport in april 2008 took it out for the first time in june and found a few faults phone the dealer kept getting told that they would phone me back. they never did then the end of august i lost it and end speaking to the manager he got it booked in for the week begin 17th sept 08 he said he would get all the jobs done that didn't need any parts for or if they had parts in stock these jobs would be done and I could colect the van on the friday to have our weekend away. we turned up as we had agreed they hadn't done anything we had to wait and go over the faults with the workshop manager who promised that he would order all the parts and cantact us in 6 to 10 weeks. no contact again phoned the dealer and he said that they had not recieved the part but had tried to contact me to arrange to have the van repaired. still waiting but just want the van exchanged for a different van and i won't be using this dealer again. Has anyone else had same problems

I think this is a particular dealer issue. We use the same dealer, but in Chorley. Yes we had some problems with our new 'van but the dealer did sort them out. Exchanging the 'van for another might be expecting a bit much at this stage and the new one is just as likely to have faults, which may well be worse!

Are the problems seriuos enough to stop you using the 'van?m if not try asking them to come to you to fix. If they are demand some compensation.

Keep on at them and try contacting the head office.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Guest John KS

You haven't said what the faults are. It is probable that you think they are important but the dealer doesn't. I usually put the faults right if we have any on a new van. It really is not worth the hassle trying to get the dealer to do it and losing it actually gets you nowhere!

You can often get them to put things right on the annual service. We had a leaking toilet the first time we used the van. They sent an engineer out and exchanged the unit the same day.

We bought ours from Discover. Haven't had a problem here in Portsmouth.

Edited by John KS

Hi Jmsgas,

If you want us to look into this for you, email me your details and van details to aspacey@swiftleisure. co. uk and I will get our customer services team to come back to you,

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

. ...... he got it booked in for the week begin 17th sept 08 he said he would get all the jobs done that didn't need any parts for or if they had parts in stock these jobs would be done and I could colect the van on the friday to have our weekend away. ..........

Am I one of the lucky ones on this forum. Although my 'van is now just three years old if there were any problems to be fixed under warranty I always arranged for my 'van to go in at 9am and pick it up later in the day !! Only once was it required for 2 days and then it was ready on the morning of the 2nd day. Even for servicing I arrange a 9am delivery to be ready during the afternoon of the same day. I do have to book many weeks in advance but that isn't really a problem.

It is this service that makes me reluctant to use any other dealer.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Guest John KS
Am I one of the lucky ones on this forum. Although my 'van is now just three years old if there were any problems to be fixed under warranty I always arranged for my 'van to go in at 9am and pick it up later in the day !! Only once was it required for 2 days and then it was ready on the morning of the 2nd day. Even for servicing I arrange a 9am delivery to be ready during the afternoon of the same day. I do have to book many weeks in advance but that isn't really a problem.

Gerry

I expect that there are lots of us who are happy with both our vans and dealers. It appears that only those with problems post them on the forums. Human nature I suppose! :rolleyes:

Gerry

Gerry,

My experience is thankfully the same as yours.

I use a Bailey Service Centre (rather than a dealer) but I book it in for it's annual service when I collect it from the current one. I drop it off at 8am and collect it around lunchtime.

On the occasions I have needed warranty work doing it either gets done at the time of the service or they book it in separtately.

The Service Centre do have a lead time of about 6 months for non-safety related warranty work. . but they tell me if the problem relates to gas/electric systems with any sort of risk they will get it booked in ASAP.

If there are any items that crop up between services I just e:Mail them and they get added to the list of tasks to be performed at the annual service.

For me using an Independent Service Centre has many advantages not least being that their income is solely dependent on providing a service not just the quick fixes of selling a caravan and providing poor service.

G.

Hi

Within the last month I have rejected a 'van (not a Swift, I hasten to add) with Discover Newport under their 6 Star Policy.

I had a new 'van of my choice, sorted out within 7 days from my initial complaint, although the previous one was rejected in writing within two days of taking delivery to both Discover Head Office and the Branch itself.

I'm now very happy with the new one and may be able to pass on a few tips - I didn't have to resort to legal action to do it.

If you would like to PM me, I'd be happy to give you some pointers.

Regards

Martin

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi

Within the last month I have rejected a 'van (not a Swift, I hasten to add) with Discover Newport under their 6 Star Policy.

I had a new 'van of my choice, sorted out within 7 days from my initial complaint, although the previous one was rejected in writing within two days of taking delivery to both Discover Head Office and the Branch itself.

I'm now very happy with the new one and may be able to pass on a few tips - I didn't have to resort to legal action to do it.

If you would like to PM me, I'd be happy to give you some pointers.

Regards

Martin

I also had some trouble with Discover, but got sorted out in the end, the new van had 1 new fault up to now, but was sorted on Saturday even though the service side was closed excellent. If you want any help just PM me, I have a number of high level contacts that could help.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

My Swift dealer -- has in 99% of all cases rectified all the points that I have pointed out to them --

some have been totally free --- under warranty

others have been a cost share --- things that have gone wrong through MY mistake or poor knowledge

others I have paid for --- I broke it

others they have "over looked" when servicing -- but if I find them missed and point them out they then fix them at no cost - because they forgot to do them.

In one case when damp was discovered in the end of a 10 month old van -- the van was replaced with a brand new van within 7 days.

I have had Swift group vans for the past 30 years --

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

To try and be polite, I would suggest that your dealer is economical with the truth. .Swift are second to none when it comes to supplying parts either to the dealer or direct to the customer. I have had a few dealings direct with Swift and their performance for me has been absolutely fantastic and so far I wouldn't hear a bad word against them

The saga is on the link below

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/index. php?showtopic=20747

Cheers

Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

hi tried the nice polite way got know where, tried the take it to the to got the van in there some 3 months arfter my first contact and then they didn't do what they where so pose to then told me that they would be in touch in 6 to 10 weeks as this is how long it takes to get the parts from swift, which having read this site i think is more lies or bending of the facts. then on phoning them and writing to them and getting know where have lost faith in both the caravan an discover leisure so last choice was take them to court. we are now looking at maybe setting up a caravan dealship/service center as i'm a corgi registered gas engineer and my partner has been in the motor trade for quite a few years if we treated our custmers like this we would have been out of business years ago. my partner tock his van in there for a service they had it in for a five day which was good for them as last year was longer. we are looking at same day service as long as part are in. any ideas how to go about setting up please let me have your veiws

cheers john

thanks swift for trying to sort this out, but looks like we are going to court in 14 days deal tring to get me to have a free service which i already have as it was given to me when i first bought the van. so here we go must mak it clear i don't think it's swifts fault it's the way the deal has dealt with the issues ie not getting it repaired and allowing the faults to get worse so here's hoping it goes in my favour and i get my extras, got a van now that the wife won't use. don't buy from discover if you want a good service

Guest John KS
don't buy from discover if you want a good service

I don't think that there is anything wrong with Discover. Don't you think it might be your attitude??????

Edited by John KS

I don't think that there is anything wrong with Discover. Don't you think it might be your attitude??????

So you think a number of failed return calls from the dealer is the fault of the customer, if YOU are a dealer, and that is a dealer view, therein lays the problem,

A customer gets upset at poor service, and it is the customers fault, :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you still need to go down the legal route - I'm surprised, as said before, once I had Discover Head Office on the case, my problems were resolved within 24 hours to my satisfaction.

My offer still stands - please PM me if I can provide any help, names of contacts at Head Office etc. ......... ;)

If you have decided that the legal route is the only way forward, then good luck with it - have you spoken to the Caravan Club Legal Helpline, if you are a Member?

Edited by Martin63

Guest John KS
So you think a number of failed return calls from the dealer is the fault of the customer, if YOU are a dealer, and that is a dealer view, therein lays the problem,

A customer gets upset at poor service, and it is the customers fault, :rolleyes:

Yes I think it may be the customer's attitude that is at fault.

Discover have too much to lose to upset their customers. I am on Discovers side. I have dealt with the public for years and even if the the public think they know their rights, believe me Discover also know theirs. I would be very careful going down the legal route.

I am not a dealer just a caravan owner like the rest of us.

Actually you have never stated what your problem is? Martin has offered to help.

Edited by John KS

I have to disagree ' Don't buy from Discover' isn't a fair thing to say all Discover branches aren't the same . Ok your not happy with Newport branch it doesn't mean that all other branches are the same . I have had good service from Discover Delamere ( formerley Harringtons ) . When i found damp readings at 40% in my 9 month old sprite quattro FB i was horrified & wasn't happy with the repair that Swift offered . Eventually the General Manager @ Discover Delamere intervened & offered a new replacement sprite . Unfortunately the stock on their forecourt all exhibited signs of the same faults so i wouldn't accept their offer . I was told to pick 3 alternative caravans whichever brand i wanted . I was adamant i wanted 1 with a single piece back panel to guarantee ( hopefully) I wouldn't suffer the same problem again . I opted for a swift accord ( a dealer special uprated charisma 620) . It was a dearer van & i had to make up the difference but Discover gave me a full refund on the sprite as they didn't want their reputation damaged . I think all things considered that Discover came up trumps on this occasion . Unfortunately i have a few minor niggles with the new van but Discover have been quick to offer to sort them . Infact in all fairness it's me that's stalling them as we have booked to go away in the caravan for the next 3 weekends & dont want to cancel . Through all this there has been no need for raised voices & my blood pressure has been reasonable but you need to persistant but keep it polite, make it clear that you wont go away until the problems are resolved to your satisfaction . Good luck i hope you get sorted !

Discover have too much to lose to upset their customers. I am on Discovers side. I have dealt with the public for years and even if the the public think they know their rights, believe me Discover also know theirs. I would be very careful going down the legal route.

Actually you have never stated what your problem is? Martin has offered to help.

Like you John, I have worked in the service sector all my life. I know things can and do go wrong. It's the manner in which they are dealt with that is important.

I just remained, cool, calm, collected and firm about how Discover could make me a happy customer again. There is no point shouting the odds - apart from asking advice on others experience at the hands of Discover, I didn't post what my problems where on this forum until the matter was resolved.

I'm unsure what the Posters problems are too - but as you say, I have now offered on two occasions to help him, if he would like me to. What more can you do?

Seeing that the Branch of Discover in question is the same one as I dealt with, if someone offered me the chance of some help I'd have jumped at it in those dark days. In fact princejim was very helpful to me and he has offered his help to the poster too.

I also agree that Discover in general should not be rubbished - I am now a very happy customer of theirs, and look forward to using the Herne Bay or Orpington Branches when I return to live in Kent shortly.

Martin

Thats fine, if that is the general feeling held by discover dealers, then I know where I WILL NOT be taking my business in future

Even for accessories, I find my local dealer, since Discover took over, less focused on customer service . but any other dealer is too much a treak just to get essentials

Thats fine, if that is the general feeling held by discover dealers, then I know where I WILL NOT be taking my business in future

Even for accessories, I find my local dealer, since Discover took over, less focused on customer service . but any other dealer is too much a treak just to get essentials

I think what John is implying, is that it is NOT the general view of Discover. I guess your local branch is the Orpington one, where I have bought two 'vans in the past. I was there two weeks ago, and indeed the Salesman is still the same one who was there when it was Orpington Caravans and then Harringtons.

No one forces you to use Discover - essentials can be mail ordered or ordered via the net - if you feel that the service you get is not as good as it could be.

It's all about choice and you, me and everyone else has the ability to make our own.

I most certainly would buy another 'van from Discover as would others and I am one of those who they didn't get it right for first time.

It's unfair imho, to rubbish Discover - we don't know what problems the original poster had, has or if indeed, he is being reasonable or unreasonable.

Bearing in mind the time that has elapsed since delivery of the 'van, I can understand that Discover may be wary of rectifying 'faults' that perhaps should have come to light sooner.

I am very careful about making rubbishing statements as well, so I just put facts on paper and let others interpret them as they wish. .I have an interest in Discover as I bought my caravan from their branch at York. .The saga to date is mentioned in a link in a reply above. .However as I watch the company closely, the links below may be of interest to others. .Especially the bottom one

http://www. yorkshirepost. co. uk/businessnew. ..hits. 4821361. jp

http://www. advfn. com/p. php?pid=nmona&c. ..symbol=L%5EDISL

http://www. fleetstreetinvest. co. uk/small-c. ..sure-98675. html

Cheers

Hobbynut

Edited by Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing a very long delay with our NEW Abbey Spectrum 540. We returned it to Discover (Newport) in October, we had a long list of faults and defects. We are fighting to get our money back, we have been mislead by them several times, they told us that it was up to Swift to have the van rejected, but found it its the dealer problem to sort it out. . Even the after sales manager agreed at the time the list was extensive and it could be rejected back in September. .he has since changed his mind and wont even update us or contact us now we having got Trading Standards on the case).

6 Months later. .Still fighting with Discover to give us our Money back. . they are disputing parts with Swift (this is what they keep telling me).. Trading Standards are involved I and will be speaking to a legal team Monday, its gone on long enough now. . WHAT A JOKE. .

Iam thinking of going to the press, maybe we should both go to the press and Name and Shame them. . drop me your email and we can fight it to the end!!

Bevan99

If you want to call our customer services team to discuss this on 01482 875740 or email us at enquiries@swiftleisure. co. uk we will try and help,

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks