Wheel Trims Keep Falling Off!!

malky

I have a 1999 ABI Morningstar that keeps losing its wheel trims while on the road. Can anyone offer any tips / advice on how to make them more secure?

cheers :angry:

13987[/snapback]

Hi

purchase wheel trims with the steel serated grips much better than the type that have a metal loop

Dave

You could try a blob of flexible translucent sealer applied to the wheel rim where the trims make contact,place wheel trim in position, let it dry and the trim wont fall off. Should you need to change the wheel, just pulling will release the sealer, and any remaining can be rubbed off with a finger.

You could try a blob of flexible translucent sealer applied to the wheel rim where the trims make contact,place wheel trim in position,  let it dry and the trim wont fall off. Should you need to change the wheel, just pulling will release the sealer, and any remaining can be rubbed off with a finger.

13998[/snapback]

sounds good. will certainly try it.

thanks

Having lost a couple of wheel trims over the years, I have now drilled and tapped a thread into one of the four wheel bolts, inserted a short length of 6mm rod. A 6mm hole in the wheel trims allows the rod to poke through. A plastic knurled knob secures the trim against the wheel rim.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Got so fed up loosong wheel trims that we replaced the wheels for alloys. It amazes me that the modern trims are allowed as when they come of at speed they could inflict a lot of damage.

thanks John. i will check this out to see if i can do it.

Cheers

14103[/snapback]

If you consider doing this, don´t drill the wheel bolt more than 6mm deep. When fixing the threaded rod, lock it to the wheel bolt with a wing nut. Use two locked 6mm nuts on the threaded rod in such a position that the wheel trim sits comfortably against the nuts. The holding knob can then be tightened securely against the trim without distorting. I have used this system for twenty years now, transferring the two drilled bolts from van to van.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Throw the wheel trims away.

A simple but essential task before the caravan moves at any time is to buzz round and check the wheel nuts. You have to do the steadies so it is easy to do the wheels.

Trims that cover the wheel nuts and are tied on. is a recipe for idleness.

Be safe TrevorM

Got so fed up loosong wheel trims that we replaced the wheels for alloys. It amazes me that the modern trims are allowed as when they come of at speed they could inflict a lot of damage.

14105[/snapback]

Hi Del,

i've considered buying alloys but get put off with the price. this would certainly solve the problem.

cheers

Malky

If you consider doing this, don´t drill the wheel bolt more than 6mm deep.   When fixing the threaded rod, lock it to the wheel bolt with a wing nut.   Use two locked 6mm nuts on the threaded rod in such a position that the wheel trim sits comfortably against the nuts.       The holding knob can then be tightened securely against the trim without distorting.   I have used this system for twenty years now, transferring the two drilled bolts from van to van.

14250[/snapback]

thanks John.

Malky

A simple but essential task before the caravan moves at any time is to buzz round and check the wheel nuts.   You have to do the steadies so it is easy to do the wheels.

Trims that cover the wheel nuts  and are tied on. is a recipe for idleness.

Be safe    TrevorM

14282[/snapback]

sure thing Trevor. throwing the trims away would certainly solve the probelm but this is not for me. I don't quite follow what the steadies have to do with the wheels and idleness is certainly not an "activity" i'm used to. Drilling and tapping one of the wheel bolts sounds like a good solution and i intend to do this.

cheers

A simple but essential task before the caravan moves at any time is to buzz round and check the wheel nuts.   You have to do the steadies so it is easy to do the wheels.

Trims that cover the wheel nuts  and are tied on. is a recipe for idleness.

Be safe    TrevorM

14282[/snapback]

Snap, thats what I did. I couldnt care less whether a wheel has a trim on it or not. On our van, the wheel nuts have those flourescent green plastic arrow things that show you if the nuts have moved. Oh yes, and after 2 years they are all still there!

Hi Del,

i've considered buying alloys but get put off with the price. this would certainly solve the problem.

cheers

Malky

14325[/snapback]

We waited until we needed 2 new tyres then shopped around the dealerships. In the end we found a geniune set from a lunar dealer at £100 below liast price.

Archived