Basics - Gps

tim

My Tomtom is more or less dead after about five years.

I have been very happy with it, never got into any "extras" like extra pois, speed alerts, updates etc, just used it for route planning etc.

I'm after some basic info, if some one could point me in the right direction.

We do a lot of walking, and I normaly just go down the library and get a local OS map of the area we are visiting.

How do you get these OS maps on to a sat nav, if you can.

Do you have to buy a seperate hand held one, or is there one that will do both.

Many thanks in advance, and hope it does'nt sound like a stupid question!

Tim

I have been very happy with it, never got into any "extras" like extra pois, speed alerts, updates etc, just used it for route planning etc.

We do a lot of walking, and I normaly just go down the library and get a local OS map of the area we are visiting.

Tim

AFAIK Tomtom units only use Tomtom maps. For walking I use a cheap PDA with a GPS receiver. The software I use is MemoryMap which is excellent but expensive.

Other mapping systems include Anquet maps, worth looking at. You can also use a smartphone with memorymap.

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

If your tomtom is suffering from a dead battery, may be worth looking at this option before committing it to electronic heaven

http://www. mdsbattery. co. uk/Tomtom-battery. ..air-battery. asp

For the GO300 £11. 99 plus post

Edited by Elldisrod

Tim

Hi,

There are currently only two satnav devices that display OS maps. SATMAP Active 10 and Garmin Oregon both require maps on SD cards. I've looked at these and read numerous reviews, I think the Satmap is best for walking. Both cost £260 to £300.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Hi,

There are currently only two satnav devices that display OS maps. SATMAP Active 10 and Garmin Oregon both require maps on SD cards. I've looked at these and read numerous reviews, I think the Satmap is best for walking. Both cost £260 to £300.

EVERY current Garmin SatNav will display TOPO maps which in the UK are OS maps - so if you have the Nuvi which can be used as a hand held, which is an excellent SatNav unit, you can also load TOPO maps BUT they are 'print restricted'.

Garmin also do some excellent dedicated 'hand held' units from a very reasonable base price to pretty pricey such as the GPS76CSx some of which also have 'in car' capability. Have a look at the Garmin UK web site:- http://www. garmin. com/garmin/cms/site/uk/

Edited by TedNewman

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

EVERY current Garmin SatNav will display TOPO maps which in the UK are OS maps - so if you have the Nuvi which can be used as a hand held, which is an excellent SatNav unit, you can also load TOPO maps BUT they are 'print restricted'.

Garmin also do some excellent dedicated 'hand held' units from a very reasonable base price to pretty pricey such as the GPS76CSx some of which also have 'in car' capability. Have a look at the Garmin UK web site:- http://www. garmin. com/garmin/cms/site/uk/

You're right, the Garmin's and others do display a representation of OS maps, in the form of raster and topo but not the actual OS 1:25000 map. The Satmap and Oregon units actually display the same as a paper OS map. 1:25000 and/or 1:50000. Which I would think is what tim wanted.

Swift Challenger 490

You're right, the Garmin's and others do display a representation of OS maps, in the form of raster and topo but not the actual OS 1:25000 map. The Satmap and Oregon units actually display the same as a paper OS map. 1:25000 and/or 1:50000. Which I would think is what tim wanted.

Not quite sure what you mean by RASTER but the TOPO in a GPS unit or on the PC with Mapsource gives a pretty good map - which is what we use when walking OK it is not the OS Explorer but still fine for walking and as it can be combined on the GPS with City Navigator you get a representation that is very hard to tell the difference to a paper map. ;)

And as BTW OS recommend it - http://leisure. ordnancesurvey. co. uk/leisur. ..AbJ/BjFcx4Qch0K

Edited by TedNewman

Not quite sure what you mean by RASTER but the TOPO in a GPS unit or on the PC with Mapsource gives a pretty good map - which is what we use when walking OK it is not the OS Explorer but still fine for walking and as it can be combined on the GPS with City Navigator you get a representation that is very hard to tell the difference to a paper map. ;)

And as BTW OS recommend it - http://leisure. ordnancesurvey. co. uk/leisur. ..AbJ/BjFcx4Qch0K

I may be wrong, but I think a raster is simply a 2 dimensional array of pixels or sqares in a grid to form an image.

I'm currently researching mapping GPS systems with the intension of getting one. Satmap is currently at the top of my list. Please take a look at the Satmap web site and let me know if the display you use is the same as these.

thanks

Lloyd

Swift Challenger 490

Lloyd

The Satmap system and maps are similar to the Garmin Explorer Maps BUT the Satmap offer a much wider choice. The quality of both are superb - every bit as good as the OS Paper Maps which they are taken from. However the costs are extremely high with anything from around £40. 00 to £130. 00 per area so to get a reasonable coverage of the UK could cost you many hundreds of pounds if not thousands! This does not surprise me as BY LAW the OS have to make a profit on their activities so charge a license fee of £20,000 (yes that is twenty thousand pounds) to any commercial concern that utilises its digital mapping.

The TOPO Great Britain does not compete with the above systems BUT at around £125. 00 for the WHOLE of the UK - it is no surprise. And as I said we use it in a Garmin GPSMAP® 76CSx (which is classed as Marine because it is completely waterproof and even floats should you drop it in a lake) combined with the Mapsource Citynavigator maps (you can view them overlaid) to give a pretty good system - we usually 'obtain' an OS paper map for the area as well by either borrowing it or buying it - preferably second hand. Plus we can look on the laptop before downloading anything.

I have a Garmin Oregon with Topo V2 maps which is very good for most uses, particularly my hobby geocaching. However, Topo doesn't show all footpaths and whilst it's adequate for car navigation, it doesn't provide the easiest display or optimum route. I also have a Garmin 60CSx which is very similar in performance (and is in the same Garmin software family as Ted's 76).

We use a TomTom for navigating the caravan which gives much clearer displays and optimised routes. However, it's lousy off road for geocaching.

You can now buy limited OS maps for Garmin GPSs but these only cover the National Parks in any detail.

I also use memory map on the PC (and used to use this on an iPaq with a bluetooth GPS) which provides the best mapping detail being OS sourced. However, you can't load these onto Garmins (or Magellans, Lowrance, Delorme etc). The cost of OS maps mean that the GPS manufacturers have gone their own way.

At the moment buying a GPS is a case of horses for courses. Handheld GPSs have compromises for road use, car navigation units are pretty lousy off road.

We use a SatMap 10 when out walking. Loaded with Explorer 1:25000 Maps, each one covers roughly a county except for the large counties like Yorkshire. As said the maps are expensive but it is a superb bit of kit. If you use the Landranger 1:50000 Maps then the whole lot can be purchased on two SD cards for around £200, but of course the detail is not there.

Guess what Mike gets for Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas etc etc type presents. I've got a good collection of English Counties now. The one's purchased match where we are caravaning each year, also as a Scout Leader they are wonderful for the odd day or night Scout hike. Used with the optional 2700mA Lion battery and with the screen fully alight all the time, the battery life is around 16 hours and so never a problem and it also runs on AA batteries.

http://www. satmap. com

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Thanks for all replies.

Good bit of info, spent a few hours surfing the details!

It seems what I want does'nt exsist, unless I spend loads.

From what I can understand, you can use some gps for car use, but with no sound, which would'nt be much use to me.

(unless I got it totally wrong)

I was hopeing you could get something decent with good maps etc, and also use it as a basic sat nav.

Like I said, I just use it to plan a route, use it while driving, but not too bothered about pois, speed cameras, trafic updates etc.

I think I will end up getting another cheap Tomtom, and maybe wait a bit to buy a hand held gps, maybe the maps may come down in price.

Thanks again for replies, its certainly given me a lot of info on gps that I did'nt know before.

Tim

Tim

The Garmin Nuvi will do both and with speech in the car! The 500 series will do it all! With the TOPO maps for walking alongside the Navigator for car. See:- http://www. mynewcheap. co. uk/products/detai. ..nuvi-500/11913/ for an example of pricing.

Thanks for all replies.

Plenty for me to go on with.

Tim