Taking Dogs Abroad - How Dangerous Is It?

I have been planning a trip abroad next winter with our new van, got the dogs pet passport all sorted out (£175!!) then i saw and read this article and it frightened me to death! I had no idea of this situation. The article is too long to post on here, please click on. . http://www. caravanning4u. co. uk/europe. html

The article is in the centre column a third of the way down the page.

Any comments/advice from people who have taken their dogs abroad would be greatly appreciated!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

We have taken our dog abroad for three years now. Having read a similar article about the sand flies, we limit the risks by not going as far as the Mediterranean. We also try to avoid forest sites. We apply Frontline tick treatment before leaving the UK and groom our dog as often as possible whilst away. Our dog is ten years old and I don't know whether we would take the risk is she was still a puppy or younger dog. I read an article last year which said that these diseases that can affect dogs in France are now in the UK so nowhere is 100% safe. At the end of the day it is a decision that only you can make.

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

I have been planning a trip abroad next winter with our new van, got the dogs pet passport all sorted out (£175!!) then i saw and read this article and it frightened me to death! I had no idea of this situation. The article is too long to post on here, please click on. . http://www. caravanning4u. co. uk/europe. html

The article is in the centre column a third of the way down the page.

Any comments/advice from people who have taken their dogs abroad would be greatly appreciated!

Phil.

Hi Phil

No dog myself, so can't comment directly as an owner BUT.

That article is really quite scary (and so is worthy of the 'Daily Wail' ;-) ) and indeed is probably a big worry

for many a dog owner, but given that the last article in that column alludes to the presumably 'then' plan for

what is now a very aged 'Cite Europe' has to cast some doubt on current relevance of that info?

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

I do know someone who's dog got lymes desease from ticks abroad, and vets are noticing an increase in heartworm in the south of England since the Pet Passport came into effect.

I think a lot depends on were you are going, do your research and stay away from the worst places.

Personnally I won't give my dogs the rabies vaccination, there are quite a lot of cases in the USA were dogs have become aggressive after this vaccination.

Hi Phil,

We have taken our dog abroad 3 times and have treated him with Advatix before we go. This is available from your vet and is for the prevention of tick & flee infestations and also the repulsion of mosquitoes, sandflies & stable flies, that's what it said on the box. Also, the vet that we use in France prior to our return to the UK uses the same treatment. Whilst we have not been to the South of France, we have been as far as the Ardeche & Dordogne and have experienced no problems with the dog.

Thanks. .....Paul

Outfit - Sterling Eccles Solitaire + Vauxhall Antara SE 184 Auto

Hi Phil,

We have taken our dog abroad 3 times and have treated him with Advatix before we go. This is available from your vet and is for the prevention of tick & flee infestations and also the repulsion of mosquitoes, sandflies & stable flies, that's what it said on the box. Also, the vet that we use in France prior to our return to the UK uses the same treatment. Whilst we have not been to the South of France, we have been as far as the Ardeche & Dordogne and have experienced no problems with the dog.

Thanks. .....Paul

Thans to everyone for the advice so far.

Paul

Do you need a vet prescription for Advantix?

Phil

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Phil,

As far as I know, your dog will have to be registered with the Vet for them to supply you with the treatment, which is the way that we have always obtained it, however, it may well b available over the Internet as Frontline is these days. If you require any further information please get in touch, I always think the worst part is having to get your dog treated for ticks, flees & worms 24 to 48 hours before you return to the UK, but I think I have found the best solution that suits us to solve this problem, if you want more details, then let me know.

Thanks. ....Paul

Outfit - Sterling Eccles Solitaire + Vauxhall Antara SE 184 Auto

Guest Surfer
Personnally I won't give my dogs the rabies vaccination, there are quite a lot of cases in the USA were dogs have become aggressive after this vaccination.

This is the first we have heard of this as by law we had to have all our dogs vacinated against rabies when they were young as we lived in Africa and we never ever had agression problems with any of our dogs and we were breeders. IMHO I think what you have heard or read is a myth.

It isn't a myth, I have seen many people come onto boards upset because their lovely dogs have suddenly become aggressive to them and other people after the rabies vaccination. Every dog had to be pts because thei aggression gradually got worse. In quite a lot of the states in the USA it is compulsory for dogs to have this and there is a lot of information on the internet about it.

Guest Surfer
It isn't a myth, I have seen many people come onto boards upset because their lovely dogs have suddenly become aggressive to them and other people after the rabies vaccination. Every dog had to be pts because thei aggression gradually got worse. In quite a lot of the states in the USA it is compulsory for dogs to have this and there is a lot of information on the internet about it.

Then their vaccines must be different to the vacine used in Southern Africa as I have never ever heard of this before and being members of the Kennel Club and with the wife also working in kennels it would have been brought to our attention. We have bred Rotties, German Shepherds, Shelties, Yorkies, Poms and never had an incidence of this agression. Our dogs were very suspectible to rabies due to the mongoose around the property, but luckily none ever got infected. However at the kennels where my wife worked her collegue got bitten by a rabid dog and had to go through hell to be cured. They inject you in the stomach etc to halt the infection. To die from it is not really an option as it would be preferable if you had a bullet in the head.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you give examples of this?

I have never come across a dog becoming agressive following a Rabies vaccination. Any problems such as this would have been noted by DEFRA and other agencies. My dog had his vaccination in 2001, and subsequent boosters since then, and has had no adverse effects.

I always order a Scalibor collar before leaving for France. This is highly effective against ticks and other parasitic infections.

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

I’m sorry to add even more depressing information to that which has already been mentioned but if you take a dog anywhere near to pine trees, for goodness sake be on the lookout for processionary caterpillars and their nests ( which look a bit like a ball of cotton wool ).

Check out the details of these dreadful things on Google – they are usually fatal to dogs and once you have researched the details I hope you won’t go anywhere near to pine trees.

Olly.