13 Pin Electrics Good Idea?

Shingle

I'm about to have a towbar fitted to a new car, my caravan is a Series 5 Bailey Ranger. I'm tempted to go for 13 pin electrics and convert the caravan. Has anyone sourced a 13 pin trailer socket with enough lead to wire it into the van's loom. If anyone has converted a Bailey of 2006/7 vintage, do they use terminal block or push connectors etc. Are there any down sides? I have heard that the fridge won't work with 13pin is this correct?

Cheers in advance.

Mercedes Vito and Valencia 2012

I converted my previous van. . 2007 Abbey to full 13 pin electrics . I bought the parts from sargents

http://www. sargentltd. co. uk/

A length of 13 pin cable . . to the CORRECT specifications . .. many places sell cable with the wrong size inners, and a 13 pin plug.

I used spade connectors on the ends to plug straight into the 2 fuse boxes inside the 'van. ... took about 2 hours to do the whole job.

All functions work if it is done correctly AND the car is wired correctly . .. :)

HTH

I have heard that the fridge won't work with 13pin is this correct?

Cheers in advance.

The 13pin socket has the same number of cores as the 2 pin sockets so the fridge should work if its fully wired. However be aware of some car companies with dealer or factory fitted towbars that only wire up the road legal lights. Specify that you want it fully wired for fridge and battery charging. The 13pin is much superior to the 7 pins

Brian

Hi,

Our fridge definitely works through thr 13 pin socket,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I have recently took delivery of a new car, and had all the towbar and electrics installed by the dealership as part of the deal. The towing equipment is Westfalia and, although I requested 12N/12S sockets, it came with the 13-pin single socket. It is a detachable towball, and the socket has to be swung down for use, so conversion to twin sockets would be very difficult. The dealership provided me with a set of 13-pin plug-to-twin sockets adaptor leads, so I am happy with this. I haven't yet tried out the system, but I don't expect any problems.

Get it fitted, you will never look back, Ive had it on my last 3 'vans, not one faulty connection, works every time, the bayonet system is far more positive than the old 12n/s plugs.

If your fridge doesnt work its not the fault of the 13pin its the connection to the car loom/split charger.

I wired my own to the caravan, its not much of a job you just need a pencil and paper to note the exiting wiring colours and their destinations on the caravan fuse board.

Alternatively you can simply joint the new 13 core wires onto the existing wires within the black and grey cables, solder the joints and pull them back inside the caravan. I did that the first time thinking that a future owner may wish to go back to the 2 cable system.

Whatever you do its only a an hour or so's work, satisfying when you plug it in and everything works!

Just had a new car which was fitted with a 13 pin socket.

No. 1 son, an electrician, wired up the 7n & 7s wires via connection blocks inside a waterproof box to a 13 core wire and a 13 pin plug.

I did look at connecting via the fuse boxes but as the road lighting cable runs the full length of the van it was impracticable.

All the original cables were left the same length and fixed inside the A frame and the box was also fixed to the A frame on a wooden block wedged into the A frame.

Everything works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534