Aa/ Rac Insurance.

john1944

What is the situation regards the AA or RAC breakdown insurance please. I am an R A C member through Club Toyota, and whilst I am covered for total recovery for the car and any caravan up to 25ft in length; in the event of a problem with the car, should the caravan become imobolised, how do I stand. For example changing a wheel on a caravan at the age of 64 is something I would prefer to avoid; so has any one got any advice please. Many thanks.

What is the situation regards the AA or RAC breakdown insurance please. I am an R A C member through Club Toyota, and whilst I am covered for total recovery for the car and any caravan up to 25ft in length; in the event of a problem with the car, should the caravan become imobolised, how do I stand. For example changing a wheel on a caravan at the age of 64 is something I would prefer to avoid; so has any one got any advice please. Many thanks.

We have had this problem with the RAC,our insurance is with Marks & Sparks. We where told the van would be covered,when we had a blowout on the motorway they refused to help,denied all knowledge of saying yes. You need to get it in writing from them. However we had Red Pennant cover,and they came straight out and changed the wheel.

Cheers,

John

Breakdown cover for cars usually has provision to bring the caravan along as well if the car was towing it at the time the car broke down - so if you ask the question "Is the caravan covered", the answer will be yes but not in the way you think.

You're better taking additional cover, eg Mayday from the CC, which will cover breakdown of the caravan itself - in the case of Mayday, it also covers accident and illness.

Both my current Subaru and the previous Vauxhall have had manufacturers breakdowm cover during their 3 year warranty but I've simply kept my Mayday cover going all the way through.

"officialy" your breakdown cover doesn NOT cover wheel changes. Unless there is a reason why you cannot change the wheel yourself. Most clubs do attend and change wheels no question but if I ever go to a wheel change where there is plainly no reason the member cannot change the wheel themselves then i refuse to do it. I would regard a blowout on the A64 or a dangerous location a good reason to call us out but "it's raining" or "I might get my suit dirty" is not. although i have never refused to change a caravan wheel. ..suppose its just my good nature B)

On average 6 out of 10 calls to change a wheel is due to the fact a lot of people cannot be bothered to do it themselves.

As said the Mayday is very good, we will not only attend any calls regarding caravans but in the case of your car needing garage services we will take it to the garage for you and take your van and passengers to a local site and site it for you, so long as there is a cuppa once done. ;)

Never go for the cheapest option it is always worth paying that little extra.

I had RAC recovery and thought I was covered should the caravan/trailer break down and needed to be recovered separately from the car, so did a friend who found this not to be the case when his caravan broke down and was left to pay for it's recovery.

I contacted the RAC to ask for clarification of my position should I find my self in the same position, this is the reply I received

Thank you for your email to RAC Motoring Services. Please accept my

apologies for the delay in reply.

I would like to advise that under our Recovery service caravans/trailers on tow at the time of a breakdown

are covered up to a maximum overall length of 7. 6 metres (25 feet)including tow bar. However, if it is your

caravan or trailer that has broken down at the roadside and we cannot repair it at the scene, then if

requested to do so by the Police we will remove it to a place of safety.

If you require the broken down caravan/trailer to be recovered to a destination of your choice we will arrange

but not pay for this.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

If you require any further assistance please contact us again.

Regards

Tessa Francis

RAC Customer Services

I phoned the RAC she asked me if I was a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club, I told her I was she then took my membership number and added Arrival caravan cover to my recovery cover at no extra cost.

Lets hope I don't need to call on the service

Hi,

You need to be careful on how you appproach this question. If you call the RAC/AA direct they will tell you that they will do the necessary to both the caravan and the car, but if you call the manufacturer's helpline, which puts you through to whichever service they use, in our case both RAC and AA, you will probably be told that they will carry out any repairs to the 'van that is possible at the roadside but will not recover the 'van in the case of it not being easily repairable. When I discovered this I decided to buy Mayday's recovery policy,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi,

You need to be careful on how you appproach this question. If you call the RAC/AA direct they will tell you that they will do the necessary to both the caravan and the car, but if you call the manufacturer's helpline, which puts you through to whichever service they use, in our case both RAC and AA, you will probably be told that they will carry out any repairs to the 'van that is possible at the roadside but will not recover the 'van in the case of it not being easily repairable. When I discovered this I decided to buy Mayday's recovery policy,

Regards,

Ian.

Well I have just bought a new van from Harringtons (discover) and it came with AA cover. I have a schedule for the car and one for the caravan and they have sent me a policy booklet but blowed if I know whats covered?? Doh!!

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran