Unable To Refit Al-ko Wheel Lock

mack100

We returned to our storage site after our first outing in our new van and I was unable to re-fit the Al-Ko secure wheel lock.

The locking bolt only went in for half a turn and then stopped in the receiver. I couldn't see any debris and had travelled with the yellow cover in place.

Is it possible for the receiver to be damaged in such a way so as not to allow the bolt to be screwed in?

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We returned to our storage site after our first outing in our new van and I was unable to re-fit the Al-Ko secure wheel lock.

The locking bolt only went in for half a turn and then stopped in the receiver. I couldn't see any debris and had travelled with the yellow cover in place.

Is it possible for the receiver to be damaged in such a way so as not to allow the bolt to be screwed in?

Hello. ...... this can some time happen, when the wheel is not alined with the receiver, try moving the wheel a little more back/forward, I have a motor mover, and offten have to move a tad more one way or the other. .......... in my case beening a twin axles. ......... I then need to lift the caravan to mover the second wheel into place for the second lock. ...........

Hello. ...... this can some time happen, when the wheel is not alined with the receiver, try moving the wheel a little more back/forward, I have a motor mover, and offten have to move a tad more one way or the other. .......... in my case beening a twin axles. ......... I then need to lift the caravan to mover the second wheel into place for the second lock. ...........

I did this but I don't think its a issue of wheel alignment, more of a receiver problem or a screw thread problem.

Have you tried to screw the bolt into the receiver without the red part of the unit in place? My bolt would not screw in once so I tried it without the red part and it cleaned the threads up and it worked fine after that.

Worth a try and it will prove if there is an alignment problem or a thread problem.

HTH.

Graeme.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Have you tried to screw the bolt into the receiver without the red part of the unit in place? My bolt would not screw in once so I tried it without the red part and it cleaned the threads up and it worked fine after that.

Worth a try and it will prove if there is an alignment problem or a thread problem.

HTH.

Graeme.

Yes, I tried that and it wouldn't turn more than half a turn. Could the receiver be bent?

Sound like either the receiver or the Bolt has been cross threaded. which will need retreaded again.

I take it that this would not be a warranty issue. If I took it back to the dealer I assume they would remove the receiver and send it back to Al-Ko to examine together with the locking bolt.

Guest John KS

Have you tried some oil or grease on it? Ours was stiff but it worked when I lubricated the bolt.

Edited by John KS

I take it that this would not be a warranty issue. If I took it back to the dealer I assume they would remove the receiver and send it back to Al-Ko to examine together with the locking bolt.

Best take it to the dealer so they can have a look at it.

Have you tried some oil or grease on it? Ours was stiff but it worked when I lubricated the bolt.

I tried some WD40 but the bolt still stopped dead after less than half a turn.

Best take it to the dealer so they can have a look at it.

Its a right pain but I think I'll have to.

It won't be crossed threaded as the threads are too coarse for this to happen. All it needs is a tap running down the receiver to clear any slight misformed or undersized thread. This takes around 5 minutes but you need the right sized tap. The receiver does not have to be removed.

Brian

It won't be crossed threaded as the threads are too coarse for this to happen. All it needs is a tap running down the receiver to clear any slight misformed or undersized thread. This takes around 5 minutes but you need the right sized tap. The receiver does not have to be removed.

Brian

That is a good idea. Have you got a local garage near you? if so take the bolt and see if you can borrow a tap from them.

That is a good idea. Have you got a local garage near you? if so take the bolt and see if you can borrow a tap from them.

That may be a good idea for some but my mechanical skills belong to the Infants School, also I don't even know what a tap is!! The mobile engineer who visits the storage site is Alko registered so I think I'll contact him.

That may be a good idea for some but my mechanical skills belong to the Infants School, also I don't even know what a tap is!!

A tap is a device for cutting an internal screw thread. This link explains with photos

http://www. nmri. go. jp/eng/khirata/metalwor. ..lt/index_e. html

Brian

That may be a good idea for some but my mechanical skills belong to the Infants School, also I don't even know what a tap is!! The mobile engineer who visits the storage site is Alko registered so I think I'll contact him.

Best leave it to a mechanic then, if the tap is "Cross Threaded" it can rip the whole thread out. I have seen it done, when a bolt is cross threaded it effectively starts another thread at an angle to the first and if the tap picks up the wrong one you are in trouble.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Thanks for all the advice folks (including the basic engineering lesson :D ). Just one more question, is it actually possible to bend or damage the receiver?

We didn't do anything remarkable to the van seeing it was our maiden voyage, didn't even put the Al-Ko wheel lock on while on the site.

• 6 months later...

This sounds exactly like I have had this weekend

spoke to alko and they are sending out a tapping thing to me which is then returned to them after

hopefully it won't be long before it arrives

to compoun. My problem the lock adapter also cracked a bit fell off which has had to sent to lowe & fletcher for replacement hopefully under warranty

2014 Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE Luxury Auto
2012 Swift Challanger Sport 636 (gone 2007 Sterling Europa 540)

I've been looking at these locks instead of a wheel clamp, How can I tell if my caravan has the receiver or not?

I have had a look but can't see anything obvious

Paul

Firstly you will only have one if you have alloy wheels and a reasonably modern van.

If you look through the wheel spokes on the near side (door side) you should see a round metal object with a plastic yellow plug with a screwdriver slot in it.

The plastic plugs unscrews to reveal a threaded socket into which the receiver screws.

If you look at other threads you will see opposing views on how easy the Al-ko secure is to use. Some people swear by them and some swear at them.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Guest John KS

I've been looking at these locks instead of a wheel clamp, How can I tell if my caravan has the receiver or not?

I have had a look but can't see anything obvious

Paul

Hi Paul

I wouldn't bother even if you have the attachment. We find it reasonably easy to put on IF you remember to do it BEFORE you put the legs down and then only if you have a mover. They are also not that difficult to remove apparantly so I don't think it is worth spending hundreds of pounds unless it comes with the van already.

We do use ours because it is small and easy to store but I certainly wouldn't buy one again until they are improved. Most insurance companies insist that you put a wheel clamp on so use the cheapest. If they want your van then they will take it whatever security you use.

Poolebob its a 2008 van with alloys but I couldn't see what you describe behind the wheel

John I'm surprised they would be easily compromised, most of the insurance co's offer a good discount if you use one (hence me looking at them)

My insurance co have said a wheel lock & hitch lock must be fitted but don't ask for a certain make or quality

I take your point about "if they want it they will take it" but if you can slow them down or make them choose another target then that's got to be a good thing

May be two cheaper wheel clamps would be better than one expensive one??? :D

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Edited by towman

There has been much "comment" on the supposed "fact" that the Alko wheel lock will not survive a "gas axe" attack . .... just how many thieves will carry a gas axe around and have the time and space to use it ??

There is no such thing as total prevention . . what you are trying to do is to make life as difficult as possible, so the opportunist thief moves on to an easier target.

The Alko does exactly that. . no more, no less . .. it is a highly rated deterent . . which is why those that know . . the insurers who have to pay out (money talks louder than words) give a discount for its use.

No conspiracies, no back-handers, just simple economics.

:)

There has been much "comment" on the supposed "fact" that the Alko wheel lock will not survive a "gas axe" attack . .... just how many thieves will carry a gas axe around and have the time and space to use it ??

There is no such thing as total prevention . . what you are trying to do is to make life as difficult as possible, so the opportunist thief moves on to an easier target.

The Alko does exactly that. . no more, no less . .. it is a highly rated deterent . . which is why those that know . . the insurers who have to pay out (money talks louder than words) give a discount for its use.

No conspiracies, no back-handers, just simple economics.

:)

It is not a SUPPOSED fact, it is indeed a complete fact and i can prove it quite easily if required.

The gas cutter is now the weapon of choice for most if not all proffesional caravan thiefs, of which there are many,

As for who would have the time and space to use one? well take a look at this http://www. alibaba. com/product-gs/256146729/pipe_gas_cutter. html

You have been warned!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

If you look at other threads you will see opposing views on how easy the Al-ko secure is to use. Some people swear by them and some swear at them.

poolebob

Agree, it takes a bit of thought and judgement to fit the lock, but with a motor mover I find it easy. its when you forget and have the steadies down that the air turns blue.

I forgot to do that at Thirsk site a couple of weeks ago and had a levelling ramp on the nearside wheel with chock, set off for Tesco and remembered I had'nt fitted the lock.

We went back and to my suprise the receiver look to be in line, tried lock in and it fitted ohmy.gif so you can see why when we got Tesco I bought a lucky dip on the lottery, but unfortunately all my luck had been used up. sad.gif

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

The fact is i doubt any wheel lock will survive a Gas cutting torch attack

So i don't think this is a valid reason to keep away from one or "be warned" about them ;)

if the Al-ko lock gives me a discount and my old SAS wheel clamp doesn't i know which lock i'll have on my caravan

Edited by npinks

2014 Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE Luxury Auto
2012 Swift Challanger Sport 636 (gone 2007 Sterling Europa 540)