Making Stops On The Way

southcoastsounds

We are fairly new to caravanning and we have been away for four short breaks since we bought our caravan last October.

My wife was wondering what other people do for stopping places on the way to their destination. It seems that the only places we can stop for a break while towing are lay-bys or service stations. Yesterday we were on the way along the South Coast and drove through Hastings and Bexhill and as it was a sunny day it seemed a shame that we couldn't stop near the seafront at one of these towns.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks in anticipation

Tom

www. southcoastsounds. org. uk

--------------------

We normally just use lay-bys and try to find one that is well off the main road. It is often difficult to find anywhere to park a car and caravan in popular places due to the length of the outfit. Like you said, you often drive through/past interesting places where it would be nice to stop, but can't.

Graeme.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Yes, this is a disadvantage of towing a caravan. A motorhome would enable you to do this more easily but then that has it's own disavantages once you are on site, ie having to pack up and drive the motorhome away for every trip off site.

you can't have everything!

We are fairly new to caravanning and we have been away for four short breaks since we bought our caravan last October.

My wife was wondering what other people do for stopping places on the way to their destination. It seems that the only places we can stop for a break while towing are lay-bys or service stations. Yesterday we were on the way along the South Coast and drove through Hastings and Bexhill and as it was a sunny day it seemed a shame that we couldn't stop near the seafront at one of these towns.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks in anticipation

Tom

Tom,

It amuses(or perhaps irritates) me the way manufacturers of caravans and motor homes show them in magazines parked on isolated cliff tops or the most beautiful river banks. The impression is one of total freedom to enjoy seaside and countryside as we wish. Unfortunately, things are much more restricted because of private land, health and safety, difficulty of access and local by-laws and regulations.

You have a better chance of seafront parking with a motorhome, but caravan versus motorhome is another debate.

Caravanning is still a wonderful hobby with some great sites and CLs.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

It amuses(or perhaps irritates) me the way manufacturers of caravans and motor homes show them in magazines parked on isolated cliff tops or the most beautiful river banks. The impression is one of total freedom to enjoy seaside and countryside as we wish. Unfortunately, things are much more restricted because of private land, health and safety, difficulty of access and local by-laws and regulations.

Gordon,

Thanks to you (and others) for your reply. I agree with you about the romanticised view of caravanning presented in magazines etc! However, my sister has a motorcaravan and spends much time driving down through France where she finds whole towns with a height restriction on every car park.

I think we just have to accept that with caravanning you travel to your destination then tour around.

Tom

www. southcoastsounds. org. uk

--------------------

If you are just stopping for a "P & T" stop then we just find a lay-by

-- one of those that are old loops of the road and pull in . .. put the legs down [we always do]

-- and make our tea and sandwiches what ever . .

If it is a "nice" lay-by we might even sit out side. ..

Generally though we are stopping for a rest -- and onward to our destination. .

-- and as was said previously -- pitch up and then tour around in the car. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

The recommended minimum breaks for driving are 15 minutes after each 2 hours of driving, ideally including 5-10 minutes relaxing with eyes shut, but not necessarily asleep - with meal and refuelling breaks extending this as appropriate.

With one exception, we never bother trying to find scenic stopping places - for preference we use supermarkets (cheap fuel and food with clean toilets), laybys or motorway service areas but only when desperate - it's amazing how many motorway junctions have a big supermarket nearby!

Our one exception is the A82 alongside Loch Lomond - it's 6 hours driving from home so becomes our third stop on the way up to the West Coast - most of the laybys have stunning views and make 15 minutes impossibly short! In our younger days, we'd leave the Midlands at 8-9pm on a Friday night to travel up and stop by Loch Lomond in the early hours as a scenic "overnight" stop. I know that many caravanners dislike the A82's northern stretch along Loch Lomond because of foreign coach drivers running wide on corners but we've never actually had a problem.

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately towns are not really equiped with caravan friendly parking areas, though it's not unknown, in fact some positively discourage caravan parking by using physical barriers on the car parks. I don't suppose that councils want to spend money providing parking for a minority who use caravans especially as we're perceived to be people who bring everything with us therefore don't spend money in the local community! That is paraphrasing a Scarborough Borough Councillor who I was talking to in the pub. Now he didn't seem to notice that I had 5 pints of larger at £3. 24 each! Maybe I should have brought my own cans and stood at the bar drinking them :D .

We occasionally do the same as Roger and use a Supermarket car park to buy a few things and stretch our legs though even some supermarkets have barriers,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.