We use a 240v 17" flat screen TV in our van but this means we need a hook up to use it, so I was looking to get a 12v TV (but for some reason which mystifies me :o ) the equivalent TV will cost me 2-3 times the price, is there some thing I'm missing ?.

I know some domestic appliances ie laptops, game consoles, hi-fi's plug in to 240v but via internal trickery( voltage droper run on a much lower voltage could this be the same for a 17" flat screen :blink::blink:

Thanks

Al

A number of small LCD TVs run on 12v with an external power supply similar to a laptop (but the voltages are different) - a number of caravanners use these LCD TVs with a direct 12v input.

You could use an inverter but that will give two lots of conversion losses.

We use a 240v 17" flat screen TV in our van but this means we need a hook up to use it, so I was looking to get a 12v TV (but for some reason which mystifies me :o ) the equivalent TV will cost me 2-3 times the price, is there some thing I'm missing ?.

I know some domestic appliances ie laptops, game consoles, hi-fi's plug in to 240v but via internal trickery( voltage droper run on a much lower voltage could this be the same for a 17" flat screen :blink::blink:

Thanks

Al

Hi and welcome Al & Cat

Yes there is TV's about that run on 12 Volts and have a 240v to 12v converter so when using it in the van you can run streigh from the battery.

As you say at most places they are a lot dearer but look around places like Asda etc and look for these TV's with these adaptors, they are hard

to find, but are out there.

There is one thing to say, if you are on a EHU then use the adaptor, some TV's don't like more than 13Volts so if you are running the TV on the

battery and the PSU puts 13. 8 Volts then you might have problems.

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

have a look on ebay, we got a meos 19" lcd, dvd and fre view for £220 it is 12v or 240v purpose built for leisure market and its fine, i know those aztec? tv you see in the dealers are about £400 ? why though

We have an oldish 15" lcd TV and a newish 19" lcd TV/DVD, both run on 12v with a power pack. I just cut the lead from the power pack to the TV and inserted a cigar lighter joint.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!