Please No Yawning Its About A Awning

Mr Carrot

I would like a porch awning with a annex that two people can sleep in or do I buy a full awning ?????

Do I buy a medium priced range full awning as I have a tech lite, and we wont be wanting the extra beds all the time. ..or do I sell my tech lite and buy a porch awning and annex ie the pyramid mega. ..Dorema vitesse xl. ..bradcot portico xl. . ventura marlin can not really afford isabella but they are nice aren't they. ...Or just buy a full awning as some porches I have been told take as long as a full one to put up.

What have you got and how long does it take to put up please ???????

Porch questions. .

Do some go on half the caravan rail and then one side has some sort of padding and pole, please explain if you can. If you were to use a annex with a porch awning do you think it will drafty because the awning is not fully on the vans rail.

full awning questions. .

Have any of you used your full awning for sleeping in, do you have a partition wall bought extra or a inner sleeping tent. If you have a inner sleeping tent do you just take it down through the day.

Do you think I will use all the extra space of a full awning through the day. I am new to caravaning there seems to be lots of space at the moment but maybe that will change when all the bits appear. I also have two dogs as well as two kids and my dad. Oh and his batmobile. . I think I need a extra van lol.

I have been looking in search for ages and have sorted the good the bad and the ugly awnings out but i am still not sure about the poles. I dont want alloy. We are thinking of putting it in our car roof box so the weight of the steel poles wont be a problem. Looking at the past votes would you say fibre glass or steel poles are about the same or steel just piping in at first as been the stronger one. A close second been fibre for its weight but not its price. ???

Finally could any one who is advising me about a awning state what its made of. I understand acrylic is good though i must dry it to my best as its putt together with cotton tread. Which other material/make is good please. Does anyone know what the Ventura's are made with. Or which awnings are renown for damaging vans.

And last but not least lol do you get a lot of flies in your awnings, which ones have mesh please. ..

Thank you Chrssie x

Hi Chrissie

I have got a Dorema Vitesse XL - more a half awning, rather than a porch, I guess. It has legs that go to the ground in all four corners, with another bar that attaches close to the side of the caravan at the top. There are thick padding strips that tuck between the 'van and the 'van side poles.

I've also got the annex for it. The annex wouldn't be draughty, because it is sealed by zipping in to the panel that you take out - like a small pod, all on it's own.

I wouldn't say that it takes any longer or is any quicker to put up than the full awnings I've had in the past. .........all awnings are a pain the butt to put up at the best of times imho!

I just don't need the space of a full awning and I thought the Dorema was a good price, including the lightweight poles - I bought it at the NEC show the year before last.

Mine is made of acrylic. .........and there are no flies in my awning!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Martin ;)

Edited by Martin63

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

It's possible to adapt a small full awning to become a porch so that the end awning rail is used but the other side just comes down the caravan wall - Isabella sell conversion kits for their awnings.

Awnings, of any type, are draughty when it's windy - an inner tent will reduce draughts.

We have a number of awnings for different circumstances. ..

We have a Sunncamp porch. . for when there's two of us and all we want is somewhere to store our wet gear. .. used late autumn and early spring.

We have an Ultima 390 which is a dream to put up for up to a long weekend (and my sister has slept in it)... you can get inner tents but we haven't to date.

But we swear by our NR Full Awning. .. easy to put up. . loads of space. .. the inner tent only takes up 1/3 the floor space (you could get the Batmobile in there too!).. just dismantle the inner tent during the day and you have a full sized dining/living area (with 4 removable panels) and at approx. less than half the price of an Isabella!!

It's Acrylic, drys rapidly and we've had (4 different) ones over 20 years and the only problem we had (stitching coming loose) was sorted by NR (at their expense (incl. courier charges)) even after 2+ years of usage.

You pay for what you get. .. I got an NR Executive 18' for under £600 and IMHO it's every bit as good as the £1300+ Isabella.

People will take about the quality of the Isabella zips. ..but I've never had a problem with the ones on my NR Awnings!

G.

Thanks guys

martin I have read about yours I don't suppose you know of any suppliers that may have it on show in Yorkshire do you please ? The thick padding does this move or is it attached to something or just held in place. Sorry to sound a bit thick but i have not seen one lol.

Roger I think this one is called 360 or something, OH will a have dicky fit at the price lol but it is nice though lol

Chapmag i have been looking at these too. Its good to hear that they are good to put up. Its not just the about stopping getting a divorce lol it could be raining too. I think i will go look round some large show rooms. I like to know what i am looking at first and its pro's and cons. There is nothing more anoying than a pushy rep. Thanks x

Thanks guys

martin I have read about yours I don't suppose you know of any suppliers that may have it on show in Yorkshire do you please ? The thick padding does this move or is it attached to something or just held in place. Sorry to sound a bit thick but i have not seen one lol.

Roger I think this one is called 360 or something, OH will a have dicky fit at the price lol but it is nice though lol

Hi Again

Sorry - I'm a long way from Yorkshire - but have a look at the Dorema website - I think it contains a list of their distributors - I'm sure there will be one near to you. The pads are attached to the awning material and tie around the legs nearest the 'van in three places - towards the top, middle and bottom. Never had one move yet.

Martin

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Martin . .I have just been reading about this and what you do is pick your size awning and then they convert it to a porch, there for a larger porch with a option to put on a annex. It works out about £600 --£75 for steel change over and then buying of the annex, for the smallest one or you can pay £699 for my full size. I will have to show OH tomorrow. Its great that they have so many options I hope this thread has helped others. Forget Nintendo brain training just buy a caravan lol. x