Cleaning Waste Pipes

alexandjen

I want to clean/disinfect the waste pipes on my Ranger and wondered if anyone has found a way of stopping water coming from the outlets on the side of the van?

I thought if I could "bung" the outlets then I could give the pipework a soak.

Has anyone done this?

Bailey Ranger 510/4

& Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1. 9TDI

Various010-1.jpgmedia3_cropped-4.jpg

champagne corks -- just fit !!!

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

A 2 inch length of waste pipe, the last inch filled with "no more nails" and left to harden . ... works well every season . . :)

Now that is a good idea, I've got some spare pipe and no nails, cheers Entwood (glad you frequent this forum as much as OOF)

:D:D

Bailey Ranger 510/4

I want to clean/disinfect the waste pipes on my Ranger and wondered if anyone has found a way of stopping water coming from the outlets on the side of the van?

I thought if I could "bung" the outlets then I could give the pipework a soak.

Has anyone done this?

Hi,

What are you going to soak the pipes with? Just warm water or are you going to add something?

I ask simply to see if you or anyone else has a good solution that does the trick of dee-gunking the pipes.

Neil.

A pal on ours rams a potato on to the outlet, whilst his pipes soak.

Before anyone asks, yes he throws the potato away after he's done.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

I've read that totally blocking the pipe outlets can put undue pressure on any joints within the system. Blocking the ends with newspaper which allows the water to gradually seep away was recommended as a suitable way of doing this.

Having said that,I used a homemade "bung" with no ill effect,until I read about the possible problems it could cause.

Also,we use a light solution of Milton.

Hope this helps.

What I do so as to make sure that the sterilising - cleaning solution - fills the pipes

-- is to put the plug in the sink -- make up the solution and nearly fill the sink with it. ..

-- I use stuff called "Puriclean"

-- then I go out side and get my bungs ready and the wife pulls out the pug in the sink. .

-- When the water is flowing through tho outlet - I then put in the bung. .. there is still a head of water in the sink

-- and we leave this till the next day to give the pipes a good soak. ..

Then -- so as not to waste the solution - the next day

-- we get the waste master ready and when pulling out the bung the solution flows into the waste master

-- which we top up with more solution mixed up. . and pouted down the sink -- flushing all through.

We then leave the wast master to stand and get clean. ..

The muck that comes out is quite astonishing - but we have found that you need to leave it standing for a good "overnight" . . for best effects --

Maurice

Edited by MauriceH

Guest Surfer
I've read that totally blocking the pipe outlets can put undue pressure on any joints within the system. Blocking the ends with newspaper which allows the water to gradually seep away was recommended as a suitable way of doing this.

Having said that,I used a homemade "bung" with no ill effect,until I read about the possible problems it could cause.

Also,we use a light solution of Milton.

Hope this helps.

Hardly likely as it is the waste water with no pressure. If it did put pressure on the joints I would be very concerned as the total weight of the water in the ipie cannot be more than 1 kg spread over the length of the pipe.

Guest Surfer

I have a length of pipe that I fit into the outlet and then I tied the other end up with some string onto a window catch so that the end is above the waste outlet inside the caravan, i. e. the kitchen sink. I pour Milton down the kitchen waste outlet and then let it stand for a couple of hours and then lower the hose into the waste container and then let the solution lie in the container until the next day. Does two jobs in one go.

Hardly likely as it is the waste water with no pressure. If it did put pressure on the joints I would be very concerned as the total weight of the water in the ipie cannot be more than 1 kg spread over the length of the pipe.

I think what is being referred to is the fact that the waste pipes(s) are just a push fit and can easily come off if there is any weight in them! Looking forward to our new van - that has proper plumbing with traps!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I think what is being referred to is the fact that the waste pipes(s) are just a push fit and can easily come off if there is any weight in them! Looking forward to our new van - that has proper plumbing with traps!

Will the pipes and fittings be to ASHRE [American standards] or BS -- or DIN . .. we did have problems getting American fittings once for some plumbing works installed to American standards. .

They seem to use different inches to us as well :lol::D

Maurice

Will the pipes and fittings be to ASHRE [American standards] or BS -- or DIN . .. we did have problems getting American fittings once for some plumbing works installed to American standards. .

They seem to use different inches to us as well :lol::D

Maurice

Airstream Europe has all fixtures and fittings to European or UK standards - even has an European chassis - BPW Torsion Bar Axle. Plus the first time we visit Germany if we pop in to Airstream Düsseldorf we will get the German 100 kph stickers.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Soda crystals and a cork - works a treat.

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

a piece of thin plastic from a carrier bag trapped between the outlet and the waste pipe works well for me

I use Fendox from mr fenwicks, if used regularly it keeps the sink smelling sweet

also unblocks :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I soak the fresh water pipes with Milton solution including aqua roll overnight and a thorough flush through the next day .

The wastes gets blocked by resealable wine corks (lever type) and pure bleach and water for approx 1 hour .

The Milton is only £1 from semi chem

If it's good enough for baby's bottles its good enough for me ;)

Hyundai Santa Fe

SWIFT Oronsay 570

By far the best thing for de greasing and cleaning the pipes is washing soda. Mix up a solution with hot water, bung the pipes, fill up and leave forhalf hour or so. It's also dirt cheap.

Do you mean washing powder?

Bailey Ranger 510/4

Milton fluid is bleach and bleach will attack stainless steel so I would be careful not to spill concentrated solution on to the sink

Milton fluid is bleach and bleach will attack stainless steel so I would be careful not to spill concentrated solution on to the sink

Don't worry I won't be using bleach.

Bailey Ranger 510/4

Airstream Europe has all fixtures and fittings to European or UK standards - even has an European chassis - BPW Torsion Bar Axle. Plus the first time we visit Germany if we pop in to Airstream Düsseldorf we will get the German 100 kph stickers.

The Airstrean vans may be built to Tempo 100 standard but the towing car needs to be as well. The test/inspection is carried out by authorised German testing stations so it would be interesting if Airstream are authorised to test cars, however, it may be they have an arrangement with TüV Düsseldorf. Some Dutch testing stations have been authorised and in the U. K. some VOSA testing stations can approve coaches only.

BTW authentic 100 stickers have an official "seal" incorporated as do the "Umwelt plaketten" needed to enter some German towns and areas including Düsseldorf from Feb 2009

Edited by beejay