Digital Tv Signal Strength Meters

Seen these meters in Maplins for about £20 and was wondering if they're worth it. We have a built-in directional aerial. I've found that with digital, the picture tends to be all or nothing, which makes getting the aerial in the right direction tricky, especially when no one nearby has one for me to copy the direction. With the old analogue you could gently turn the aerial and see the picture getting stronger or weaker.

The Maplins ones do say that they can't be used on a boosted system though, which may preclude its use in a caravan anyway ????

Seen these meters in Maplins for about £20 and was wondering if they're worth it. We have a built-in directional aerial. I've found that with digital, the picture tends to be all or nothing, which makes getting the aerial in the right direction tricky, especially when no one nearby has one for me to copy the direction. With the old analogue you could gently turn the aerial and see the picture getting stronger or weaker.

The Maplins ones do say that they can't be used on a boosted system though, which may preclude its use in a caravan anyway ????

I keep wondering whether to buy this one but like you wondered if they were any good. At £9. 99 it is cheaper than the maplins one.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I keep wondering whether to buy this one but like you wondered if they were any good. At £9. 99 it is cheaper than the maplins one.

Bought the Labgear one that Bill Lord was wondering about as they say it's good for both analogue & digital signals & will work with the Status signal amplifier whereas the one we looked at in Maplins was digital only & not for use with an amplifier. Have tried it at home and last weekend on our first trip out, it worked well.

cheers

Don

Nissan Xtrail 2. 2DCI and Bailey Senator Virginia

Bought the Labgear one that Bill Lord was wondering about as they say it's good for both analogue & digital signals & will work with the Status signal amplifier whereas the one we looked at in Maplins was digital only & not for use with an amplifier. Have tried it at home and last weekend on our first trip out, it worked well.

cheers

Don

Thanks for that. I've just ordered one from Amazon.

Cheers

Doesn't your tv have analog and digital? To be honest we've given up with the digital TV and gone back to the analog LCD. We have only ever been able to use digital when the caravan is at home.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

For exactly the reason you give, we bought one - Labgear - works well.

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

Doesn't your tv have analog and digital? To be honest we've given up with the digital TV and gone back to the analog LCD. We have only ever been able to use digital when the caravan is at home.

You've problem somewhere then . ...... IMHO. ;)

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

Analogue is being phased out though.

Apparently though the digital signal will be boosted as analgoue is switched off.

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 10 2009, 09:25 AM) 237323[/snapback]
You've problem somewhere then . ...... IMHO. ;)

I don't think we have a problem, the Status amplifier certainly make a difference when its switched off and on and as I said, digital works fine when the caravan is sited at home, where we do have a good strong signal. I think its more likely to be the TV’s digital receiver not being quite a good as some.

I also think most of the sites we go to are probably in marginal rural areas.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Hi,

Our PVR has an inbuilt sigal meter which checks signal strength and quality so it maybe worth checking to see if the TV has one,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Thanks Bill Lord

Just ordered one via your link, oops almost sent it to your address.

Thanks again

I just ordered one too, perhaps we should have bought in bulk and got a discount!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Thanks Bill Lord

Just ordered one via your link, oops almost sent it to your address.

Thanks again

It would have been a very worthy mistake and I would have said a very nice thankyou.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Hi.

Have just bought a Labgear after reading a lot of good reports about them, wont know though until April when we take the van out.

Regards ob. :rolleyes:

Hyundai Santa Fe GSI CRTD,Bailey Senator California.

cheers

Don

Hi Don,

where did you connect yours to the system, at the tv or near the amp, guess if you put it next to the amp it can left in permanantly?

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Just a quick note to anyone visiting the South West this year, TV is switching over to digital starting with S. Devon going digital on 8th April, just a few weeks away !!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Hi,

For anybody who needs to know the agenda for the digi changeover there are many websites one of which is www. freeview. co. uk. It maybe worth checking if you're a soap fan and are travelling farther afield,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Just had a look around as I will be purchasing one of the recommended units above but found it direct from the seller (not through Amazon) here, same price but free postage.

Ted

Edited by Ted

Just had a look around as I will be purchasing one of the recommended units above but found it direct from the seller (not through Amazon) here, same price but free postage.

Ted

Thanks for the above info. I ordered one one from this seller on Wednesday and it was delivered today (Friday) post free as described.

Lexus IS 220D SE towing Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 7

If you live near a branch of TLC its even cheaper:

http://www. tlc-direct. co. uk/Products/MX27866R. html

Yes and they work very well. I use mine aft of the Status 530's booster.

Where they are so valuable is finding the strongest signal before you ask your digital TV to search for available channels.

If you dont find the signal first then even if you are in a good reception area you may not find the appropriate transmitter and mistakenly think digital is naff at that location.

We just press the info button on the digibox, then a green band showing the signal strength appears on the telly.

we rotate the aerial until we get the best reading :mellow:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I use mine aft of the Status 530's booster.

The 'booster' is built into the aerial housing so there is no choice. Do you switch off the power supply to the aerial before using the meter?