Newbie In A Dilemma!

vanlea73

Hello there!

Hubby and I are complete novices at caravanning, but have decided to become "wild and free" for a few months this summer and take our little boy (2) around England for a good explore. We are a bit nervous about launching into buying a caravan but seem to have decided on a layout that suits us. We have been looking at the Bailey Pageant Series 7 Loire and the Compass Corona 626 both of which seem to have the layout that suits us best. We haven't really look at many other makes as this layout seems to be a bit hard to find. We have been offered the 2009 model of the Bailey (but manufactured in 2008, apparently????) from a dealer with everything all in, including awning, for about £13,700 and a 2008 Compass Corona via a private dealer with no awning (which we need) for £10,000. I have no idea which is the best deal. We plan to sell the caravan after our trip (unless we get completely hooked, which I suspect we might!) so would like it to retain as much value as we can. Does anyone have advice on the best course of action for us regarding these or any other caravans that might suit?

Many thanks

Vanlea

Edited by vanlea73

Hello there!

Hubby and I are complete novices at caravanning, but have decided to become "wild and free" for a few months this summer and take our little boy (2) around England for a good explore. We are a bit nervous about launching into buying a caravan but seem to have decided on a layout that suits us. We have been looking at the Bailey Pageant Series 7 Loire and the Compass Corona 626 both of which seem to have the layout that suits us best. We haven't really look at many other makes as this layout seems to be a bit hard to find. We have been offered the 2009 model of the Bailey (but manufactured in 2008, apparently????) from a dealer with everything all in, including awning, for about £13,700 and a 2008 Compass Corona via a private dealer with no awning (which we need) for £10,000. I have no idea which is the best deal. We plan to sell the caravan after our trip (unless we get completely hooked, which I suspect we might!) so would like it to retain as much value as we can. Does anyone have advice on the best course of action for us regarding these or any other caravans that might suit?

Many thanks

Vanlea

Hi,

If it were me, I would be more tempted to limit your spend to say 6000 and get an older van as you intend only to use for one year. I think you might lose less money and if you then decide to carry on you can trade up to something newer

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Hello and welcome maybe if you give some idea where you are many members can tell you which dealers are good near you. We are newish to the caravaning only been out once and we really liked it. I was not sure if i would like it as it was not really my thing. I think your little boy will have a great time. I am a Bailey girl myself and no matter what I looked at I always went back to the Baileys. If I was you I would have considered the 5 birth Baileys with the extra dining area. GT60 ---500/5 ranger or pageant Provence. They all have a sliding door to close when your little one is sleeping. You also have another form of table for his games through the day. Friends of ours have a younger boy and there main concern was also where the toilet was. They did not want to have pass their little boy when he was sleeping when they wanted to go. You really need to shop around and visit places to get the feel of the vans. I thought it would be easy but even though we had fun its not that easy. I also met some pushy and not so friendly reps which was a bit disheartening but we got there in the end. I used to price check on the auto trader alot and I also had another site that gave the price that they should be selling at old / new. i will go see if i can find it for you. Good look in your search.

Hello there!

Many thanks

Vanlea

Welcome Vanlea!

The best deal is the newest 'van you can buy at the best price, if you intend to sell on quickly. ...........and I bet you don't ! Lol!! That's my opinion and I'll explain why. .......

If you like the Bailey, spend a couple of hours on the 'phone ringing all the Bailey Dealers in a resonable radius of home. Explain that you are looking at a new 'van and that you have nothing to sell. Tell them that you want a complete starter kit including awning in the deal too.

It's a game I really enjoy! Knock £1500 off the price you have been quoted for the Bailey by the Dealer you mentioned and see if you can get it cheaper than that!! The price he has quoted does not seem that hot to me, in truth, bearing in mind your position.

With the economy as it is, you are the King, as you have no part exchange. ...........make the most of it.

When it comes to selling - get a 'trade price' from your local dealer - put the 'van on ebay at that figure with no reserve. .........and you are likely to get much more. I did that last year too!

Have fun

Martin ;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Wow. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm really glad I asked!

I had a feeling we shouldn't rush into anything at the moment! I will try your advice Martin I think . .. but wouldn't the dealers check out what I say by ringing the other dealers first? Or am I being my usual naive self?!!

The general consensus looking around the net generally seems to be that the Baileys are everyone's favourite. Perhaps we should just forget about the Corona. It did seem like quite a good price though.

Thanks for your help. It's good to be aboard!

vanlea

I would take a look at Swift and Sterling too. And for an extended trip I would go for a van with a bigger bathroom.

That is a pretty big van you are looking at, have you checked that your car can tow it?

Edited by jennifernn

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

The Swifts do look nice, and the Coachmans too. ...! There is so much CHOICE!!! I am really in a quandry now . .. we liked the idea of fixed double bed though, as we will be staying in the caravan for some months while we travel, it just seemed quite appealing not to have to make up our bed every night . .. and my husband and I tend to go to sleep at different times. But now I am thinking maybe it would be better to have the separate little room for the baby and make up our bed. .. decisions, decisions! We are dreaming caravans at the moment!

:blink:

I would take a look at Swift and Sterling too. And for an extended trip I would go for a van with a bigger bathroom.

That is a pretty big van you are looking at, have you checked that your car can tow it?

Hi Jenni

Thanks for your advice. We were torn between smaller bathroom and more living space, but I take on board your advice and it may be that we should change our mind. My husband is just trying to figure out whether our car is able to tow the van! We have a (rather old) Mercedes 250 Diesel Estate which we think is okay . .. so much to learn!

Thanks

vanlea

Wow. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm really glad I asked!

I had a feeling we shouldn't rush into anything at the moment! I will try your advice Martin I think . .. but wouldn't the dealers check out what I say by ringing the other dealers first? Or am I being my usual naive self?!!

The general consensus looking around the net generally seems to be that the Baileys are everyone's favourite. Perhaps we should just forget about the Corona. It did seem like quite a good price though.

Thanks for your help. It's good to be aboard!

vanlea

It's very unlikely that the Dealers would ring each other to be honest. ........they are all cutting each others throats at the moment it seems. I'd try Chipping Sodbury Caravans - they are a Bailey only Dealer, very keen to deal and the service is first class. You can buy a new Bailey anywhere in the country and get it serviced through a network of dealers - see the Bailey website for details.

Also Chipping Sodbury don't charge the close to £500 for delivery, as they pick the 'vans up from the factory themselves - great. ....another £500 saved.

I've had five new Baileys and been pleased with all of them - I now have a Swift which I'm mighty pleased with too. Bailey do offer excellent value for money and are very well regarded by both trade and public. Handy, if you want to sell it on fairly quickly.

Martin ;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hello and welcome maybe if you give some idea where you are many members can tell you which dealers are good near you. We are newish to the caravaning only been out once and we really liked it. I was not sure if i would like it as it was not really my thing. I think your little boy will have a great time. I am a Bailey girl myself and no matter what I looked at I always went back to the Baileys. If I was you I would have considered the 5 birth Baileys with the extra dining area. GT60 ---500/5 ranger or pageant Provence. They all have a sliding door to close when your little one is sleeping. You also have another form of table for his games through the day. Friends of ours have a younger boy and there main concern was also where the toilet was. They did not want to have pass their little boy when he was sleeping when they wanted to go. You really need to shop around and visit places to get the feel of the vans. I thought it would be easy but even though we had fun its not that easy. I also met some pushy and not so friendly reps which was a bit disheartening but we got there in the end. I used to price check on the auto trader alot and I also had another site that gave the price that they should be selling at old / new. i will go see if i can find it for you. Good look in your search.

Thanks Mr Carrot,

Really helpful advice. We are looking at the models you suggest and you do have a point. I would really appreciate that site with the prices if you can find it.

Thanks again

vanlea

It's very unlikely that the Dealers would ring each other to be honest. ........they are all cutting each others throats at the moment it seems. I'd try Chipping Sodbury Caravans - they are a Bailey only Dealer, very keen to deal and the service is first class. You can buy a new Bailey anywhere in the country and get it serviced through a network of dealers - see the Bailey website for details.

Also Chipping Sodbury don't charge the close to £500 for delivery, as they pick the 'vans up from the factory themselves - great. ....another £500 saved.

I've had five new Baileys and been pleased with all of them - I now have a Swift which I'm mighty pleased with too. Bailey do offer excellent value for money and are very well regarded by both trade and public. Handy, if you want to sell it on fairly quickly.

Martin ;)

Thanks Martin. We will try chipping Sodbury Caravans. They are not a million miles from us . .. we are near Milton Keynes.

Hello, found the site for you but i may put it in wrong because i am a bit rubbish at this lol

prices

We also bought from new and like you i am a bit shy at asking for money off etc. They did offer us a starting kit but it was naff makes so I asked for a discount in the price. The trick is to ask and then stay quite and then watch them fumble when they feel they are losing the deal. He will come back with a higher price. Say ten pounds more than what you asked and say you will shake on it and ask for something silly like a a frame cover as well. He wont give you both but he will give you one or the other lol. Then stay quite, they say who talks next loses lol. good luck. My name is Chrissie by the way Mr carrot is our van.

most of the time a caravan layout has to be a compromise, there just isn't enough room for everything. you will need to decide what your priorities are.

I would agree that bed making can be a hassle, we decided to go for a fixed bed after our first long trip (3 months). A decent bathroom will let you use the small 5 van sites (CLs or CSs) which often do not have full facilities, and means you really do not need to worry about the site facilities at all.

what you decide for your wee one will depend on what kind of sleeper he is. if he needs quiet then just a curtain round his bed may not be enough.

looking at our layout (front double, mid kitchen, fixed bed, end bathroom) , one option, which we will use when we take our grandson away with us, would be to bed him down in the fixed bed then transfer him to the front when you go to bed. this could be in conjunction with a quick visit to the toilet if required.

there are some new versions of our layout now available on a single axle (eg the Sterling Ruby), this also keeps the weight down, and is a little shorter.

Jennifer

Hi Vanlea,

You didn't say which exact model and year the Merc is but the heaviest C250 I can find is only 1575 kg which is too light for both of the caravans on your list. The Compass 626 is 1700kg mtplm and the Bailey is 1642kg.

You really need to be looking at single axle 'vans or buy a bigger car.

Look at Lunar van's they are light and there are a range of modals to suit families and couples, We along with a friend have recently purchased a Lunar CSL 08 models, which have a fixed bed runnung on the rear of the van, that has a slidding door to seperate from the rest of the van.

It has a L shaped lounge with seats that you can use to sleep on or make up a double bed. You could put your small child in the rear bed and transfer him to the front as reccommend by another member. Other advantages are that the van as a good bathroom, as some fixed bed models is a compromise and a good working kitchen. There are used models avaible.

Bailey have a model same similar Bailey Vendee. I would go onto the site www. caravanfinder. co. uk on that site you can select model typs and then click model and it will give you a list of vans of that type, prices and dealers up and down the country.

Hope this will help you.

Christine

Christine. Lunar Lexon CSL, Landrover Discovery, MGF

Bailey have just introduced a new layout, which might suit your requirements. Its a four berth, with a fixed bed but also with quite a spacious end bathroom, and a low weight. The MTPLM is 1435Kg. Its the Pageant Sancerre.

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/pageant7/layout. php

Brian

I'm going to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons but have you thought about an Adria?

We only bought our first van last year a 4 Berth Lunar Zenith and we ended up selling it within 4 months because it was just too small and the Dealer was doing an offer on the new caravan we wanted . We have a 3 year old and a 13 year old. We looked and looked around at many makes of vans and even though the Bailey ranger was a really good option it was slightly too heavy for our car. Then we looked at the Adria Altea 542 and 502 and once we had looked around them and saw the weight we decided that either would be great for us for us, we love the space in our Altea and they are alot cheaper than the British made vans, I'm not sure on this year's models but you can usually get a BRAND NEW one for around £10,000. I think they are made with family in mind, we have the extra table for the kids, fixed bunks which are a lot wider than any of the other bunks in other caravans (although with only one child this might be a bit of wasted space for you). Plenty of space inside when rain stops play too!

However I would probably not recommended doing what we did as we did loose a bit of money on our first van, we never managed to sell it privately and had to take the dealer's Part exchange offer. However the deal on the new van was so good it made up for it, and we love our van now it's so light and airy and we have so much room it doesn't matter if the kids have to stay in for a while!

Depends what you want, but I would make sure you spend as much time going around and looking at every possible model you can and when you find a few you like, go back several times and look at everything, open all the doors, check how the beds are made up and how big they are, where the toilet is, how the shower works, how much kitchen space you have when trying to cook a meal.

That's the thing that we didn't do first time around, we didn't think carefully enough about the space we had a. when we had to stay inside and b. when the beds were made up. The van we had first was really lovely and in great condition but it just wasn't big enough for us as a family.

Sometimes a deal might look really good but you might find that van isn't suitable for you, then it's not really a good deal!! B)

It does sound like weight will be a deciding factor, so the Bailey Sancerre @ 1435 kg, or the Sterling Europa 550/Swift Charisma550 @ 1495 kg would be as heavy as you could go for a fixed bed. Not much between them, the Bailey does not appear to have the very useful front chest of drawers.

If you are doing this trip in summer, and intend to have an awning, then this will give you extra living/playing space to make up for the space taken up by the bed!

Jennifer

Sorry I forgot to add that the web page will also tell you the price of vans that are not on show should you email him. Also when i said we bought from new I was meaning we were first time buyers but our van was two years old.

Slightly ot,but I'd also strongly recommend doing the Caravan Club's two day towing course. It may even be worth doing it before you buy your 'van. .........if you can wait that long!

It's very helpful in terms of car:caravan weight ratios,loading etc,as well as manouevering practice.

Good luck in your travels.