Caravaning In Germany.

hopfully going to germany soon to the hemer area of Nordrhein-Westfalen, germany. does anyone know of any caravan sites / parks in this area it is typicaly forested around this area so if anyone has been in this location could you give me some info and tips ie is the hook ups 240 volts do you need a 2 pin adapter etc and are the police tight on the caravan speed limits as i hear it is only 50mph.

thanks pete.

Edited by devonshireboy

hopfully going to germany soon to the hemer area of Nordrhein-Westfalen, germany. does anyone know of any caravan sites / parks in this area it is typicaly forested around this area so if anyone has been in this location could you give me some info and tips ie is the hook ups 240 volts do you need a 2 pin adapter etc and are the police tight on the caravan speed limits as i hear it is only 50mph.

thanks pete.

Pete

First of all I have taken the liberty of moving this post a more appropriate section so hopefully you will get a better response. We spent quite a bit of time in Germany last year. The only campsite we stayed at in that region was on the edge of the delightful little town of Lemgo which is not far from Bielefeld. I have a site report here http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/campingpark_lemgo. htm It had recently been taken over by an enthusiastic young owner when we were there so I expect there could be some more improvements if you get the chance to visit. It might be a bit too far east for your requirements. Generally I found that most Germany campsites accept the standard CEE17 blue socket for electrics. Also not uncommon to get 16amps! Regarding the towing speed limit you are right that it is 80kms an hour. Whilst you do this at your own risk there does seem to be an acceptance that you keep up with the trucks but obviously keep an eye out for those pretty green cars! You have to be a little more careful at weekends when generally there are no trucks and you will be an easier target for the Polizei. You can of course, if your van qualifies, apply for a Tempo 100 at a local TUV centre, this will allow you to tow at 100kms. They put a large sticker on the front caravan roof so that you can be identified as legal. Another thing to be careful of is that on quite a few sections of two lane autobahn there are no overtaking restrictions. Some seem permanent and others between certain times. Would really encourage you to go to Germany as its a delight to tour with a caravan.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Pete

First of all I have taken the liberty of moving this post a more appropriate section so hopefully you will get a better response. We spent quite a bit of time in Germany last year. The only campsite we stayed at in that region was on the edge of the delightful little town of Lemgo which is not far from Bielefeld. I have a site report here http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/campingpark_lemgo. htm It had recently been taken over by an enthusiastic young owner when we were there so I expect there could be some more improvements if you get the chance to visit. It might be a bit too far east for your requirements. Generally I found that most Germany campsites accept the standard CEE17 blue socket for electrics. Also not uncommon to get 16amps! Regarding the towing speed limit you are right that it is 80kms an hour. Whilst you do this at your own risk there does seem to be an acceptance that you keep up with the trucks but obviously keep an eye out for those pretty green cars! You have to be a little more careful at weekends when generally there are no trucks and you will be an easier target for the Polizei. You can of course, if your van qualifies, apply for a Tempo 100 at a local TUV centre, this will allow you to tow at 100kms. They put a large sticker on the front caravan roof so that you can be identified as legal. Another thing to be careful of is that on quite a few sections of two lane autobahn there are no overtaking restrictions. Some seem permanent and others between certain times. Would really encourage you to go to Germany as its a delight to tour with a caravan.

David

hello david.

thanks for the very usefull information. your are proberly right about the campsite being ia little far east just worked it out to be about a 100 miles from where we want to be but i must say if i was going that way i would call into it. about the sticker you can put on the roof for the 100 kph how do you go about it and what does your caravan have to do to qaulify to get it as mine is a abbey spectrum 520 twin axe but is in very tip top condition would this qaulify or is it just for light weights. although i will be towing with my rangerover so it is fairly stable. i have read abit about your adventures very briefly what route did you take from england i am going the short route from harwich to the hook. i am going over to see an old mate of mine and is the first time in germany.

the route you was talking about in one of your earlier posts seem to be running down through germany did you do this from the hook of holland. i want to try this route at a later date does this go anyware near neckarsulm.

also what motor was you towing with just wondered about the amount of fuel needed for this sort of trip. i am exspecting to use up about £250 for this trip with the 2. 5 bmw turbo deisel it has been chipped so i do get abit more poke out of it when i put the foot down.

anyway dave thanks again will await your reply. pete.

Pete

This was the route we took and we crossed Folkestone/Calais on the tunnel. http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/Germany%20Call. ..2008%20Blog. jpg For details of Tempo 100 look here http://www. germany-tourism. co. uk/EGB/pract. ..rmany_10326. htm You would have to find a TUV Centre in Germany, pity we can't do the same as coaches which can be done in this country.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We are currently in Spain and just picked up your post. We have good friends in Hemer and spend some time there. Regrettably however I have yet to find a caravan site within "commuting" distance of the town. The times we have taken the 'van, usually en-route elsewhere, I have parked it at a local factory which one of friends had arranged. If you do find a site I would be interested to hear about it. Good luck

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

thanks pete.

The is a good site at Syburg 8 miles south of Dortmund and 22 miles from Hemer. I used when I bought my caravan in Dortmund. Link here camping hohen-syburg. A "google" for camping nordrhein westfalia brings up a list of sites. One link here kleincamp. de. The German Tourist Office will supply a list of German campsites. For Tempo 100 the 100 sticker goes on the rear of the caravan roof and a smaller one on the windscreen of the car. It's hard to justify nearly £60 for a holiday to drive at 100 kph instead of 80 kph on motorways only. especially as, in the Ruhr region, there are speed restrictions . Police tend to use very long range mobile laser for speed detection on motorways so don't be tempted.

Edited by beejay

thanks pete.

Take a look a Google Earth. tells you all you wan`t to know. and as for Germany. you`ll love it. As for speeding,I have`nt seen many autobahn cops in my 30 or so trips,although I was caught speeding solo by Krefeld many years ago. Advice. stay behind a Dutchman!.

We are currently in Spain and just picked up your post. We have good friends in Hemer and spend some time there. Regrettably however I have yet to find a caravan site within "commuting" distance of the town. The times we have taken the 'van, usually en-route elsewhere, I have parked it at a local factory which one of friends had arranged. If you do find a site I would be interested to hear about it. Good luck

hello clubman.

many thanks for the reply did you see the next posting for me on this subject have you heard of this site it sound handy for you next time you go.

enjoy your time in spain regards pete.

Take a look a Google Earth. tells you all you wan`t to know. and as for Germany. you`ll love it. As for speeding,I have`nt seen many autobahn cops in my 30 or so trips,although I was caught speeding solo by Krefeld many years ago. Advice. stay behind a Dutchman!.

I have`nt seen many autobahn cops in my 30 or so trips

It's the one you DON'T see that causes the problems

I have seen a lot of German radar "traps" in my many trips and, no, I haven't been caught.

As for staying behind a Dutch outfit. ...

Fat chance

The is a good site at Syburg 8 miles south of Dortmund and 22 miles from Hemer. I used when I bought my caravan in Dortmund. Link here camping hohen-syburg. A "google" for camping nordrhein westfalia brings up a list of sites. One link here kleincamp. de. The German Tourist Office will supply a list of German campsites. For Tempo 100 the 100 sticker goes on the rear of the caravan roof and a smaller one on the windscreen of the car. It's hard to justify nearly £60 for a holiday to drive at 100 kph instead of 80 kph on motorways only. especially as, in the Ruhr region, there are speed restrictions . Police tend to use very long range mobile laser for speed detection on motorways so don't be tempted.

hi beejay.

had alook at the site looks very nice with the scenery in the background. wil tryt the tourist office as the area i am going to try and stay is around ispei it is a massive wooded valley so it would be great to get something there my friend i am going to see does not do any caranving i have asked him but he does not know alot on that score.

ok beejay thanks again for the reply. regards pete.

well as for the speeding not that i want to going at stupid speeds it was just as i have only the 2. 5 rangerover sitting at 50mph in top is a bit of a drag on the motor making it use alot more fuel and dropping a gog proberly will equate to the same. at 60 she is moving just fast enought to get a bit lighter on the gas.

from what i have seen in pictures of germany there does not seem to be anywhere that looks flat and boreing always stunning scenery. it does look a

completely different way life. not sure what i will do about this 100kph i am trying to get my head around what you have to do. but i am sure KLYNE david will put me in the right direction.

thanks again for the responce all is very much appreciated. regards pete

I have been to Germany many times but I do find driving with a caravan, on the autobahns, very monotonous now. The speed limit rule lumps you in with all the wagons which would not be too bad if when they slow down to you were allowed to pass them but since the majority of German autobahns are only two lane you are not allowed to overtake on hills resulting in quite often having to crawl up a hill at ridiculously slow speeds.

A friend of mine did overtake on one of these hills and was stopped a few miles down the road by the police as he had been spotted by a police helicopter. He had to pay a substantial on the spot fine.

I now try to keep off the autobahns as much as possible.

Regarding the Dutch, I agree, solo they are slow, careful drivers but put a caravan on the back and away they go. The fastest towers in Europe. Once drove across Belgium at the beginning of the Dutch holidays, and the motorway was littered with the debris of upturned Dutch caravans all the way to Luxembourg!

VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Eccles Topaz SE

well as for the speeding not that i want to going at stupid speeds it was just as i have only the 2. 5 rangerover sitting at 50mph in top is a bit of a drag on the motor making it use alot more fuel and dropping a gog proberly will equate to the same. at 60 she is moving just fast enought to get a bit lighter on the gas.

from what i have seen in pictures of germany there does not seem to be anywhere that looks flat and boreing always stunning scenery. it does look a

completely different way life. not sure what i will do about this 100kph i am trying to get my head around what you have to do. but i am sure KLYNE david will put me in the right direction.

thanks again for the responce all is very much appreciated. regards pete

Quite honestly you don't have to use the autobahn system, most of their roads are very good and that way you will see much more of the scenery on route. I would definitely avoid all two lane autobahns during the day as all vehicles towing and trucks etc have to keep to the inside lane - absolute pain if you get stuck on a steep hill behind a slow moving vehicle. Sundays are the best days to travel on autobahns as goods vehicles have to have a special pass to travel on Sundays, they all tend to be parked up in the autobahn rest places.

We lived in Germany for many years and find driving away from the autobahns very pleasant, certainly much better than this country, there are some really beautiful areas - Mosel, Rhine, Schwarzenwald (Black Forest), Hartz Mountains, Eifel, Bavaria, Romantische strasse, and that is just for starters. Emjoy your holiday.

Jan

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Quite honestly you don't have to use the autobahn system, most of their roads are very good and that way you will see much more of the scenery on route. I would definitely avoid all two lane autobahns during the day as all vehicles towing and trucks etc have to keep to the inside lane - absolute pain if you get stuck on a steep hill behind a slow moving vehicle. Sundays are the best days to travel on autobahns as goods vehicles have to have a special pass to travel on Sundays, they all tend to be parked up in the autobahn rest places.

We lived in Germany for many years and find driving away from the autobahns very pleasant, certainly much better than this country, there are some really beautiful areas - Mosel, Rhine, Schwarzenwald (Black Forest), Hartz Mountains, Eifel, Bavaria, Romantische strasse, and that is just for starters. Emjoy your holiday.

Jan

Fully agree!

VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Eccles Topaz SE

Hi Devonshireboy, well reading your post and the mention of Hemer brings back many memories for me, my father was stationed with the Army just up the road at Menden and i went to British Forces school at Summern. Re sites, dont have any exact details but have you tried the area around the Mohnesee, not too far from Hemer and in a lovely area. Hope you manage to find somewhere, we love Germany and in fact i have just recieved a posting to Detmold (July) and we are taking the van over after easter for a week as we have loads os paperwork etc to do before our move. Have booked in at the site in Lemgo that David Klyne mentions,which accept the ACSI Card.

I have been to Germany many times but I do find driving with a caravan, on the autobahns, very monotonous now. The speed limit rule lumps you in with all the wagons which would not be too bad if when they slow down to you were allowed to pass them but since the majority of German autobahns are only two lane you are not allowed to overtake on hills resulting in quite often having to crawl up a hill at ridiculously slow speeds.

A friend of mine did overtake on one of these hills and was stopped a few miles down the road by the police as he had been spotted by a police helicopter. He had to pay a substantial on the spot fine.

I now try to keep off the autobahns as much as possible.

Regarding the Dutch, I agree, solo they are slow, careful drivers but put a caravan on the back and away they go. The fastest towers in Europe. Once drove across Belgium at the beginning of the Dutch holidays, and the motorway was littered with the debris of upturned Dutch caravans all the way to Luxembourg!

hi kayak.

thanks for the advise i know what it is like to be lumped in with the wagons i was driving artic's for 30 years in my opinion putting governers on them to restrict them to 50/54 mph was the worst thing out govern them at 63 no problem. many may dissagree but befor they where resticted the wagons all moved on into there own space and most sensible drivers sat at 60 mph this kept every thing moving now its just bumper to bumper and there is nothing more frustrating being in the middle lane with the van or just car stuck behind a wagon trying to over take another at 1/2 mile an hour faster if that' it goes on for miles if you get an awkward driver in the inside lane when they can see all the traffic behind them building up all it takes is just a tiny drop of there speed for a few secounds to let the other past i used to let them by still get there at the same time. anyway glad i'm out of it'

ok thanks again for the reply. pete.

Jan

hi jan.

many thanks for the insight' can just picture it now. when getting there will proberly do the same. traveling on sunday for the first day anyway so will just head for the hemer area then do the sightseeing for the rest of the timewill be moving around anyway. must of been nice to of lived there but then i have not tried it yet. ok jan thanks for the mention. pete

Hi Devonshireboy, well reading your post and the mention of Hemer brings back many memories for me, my father was stationed with the Army just up the road at Menden and i went to British Forces school at Summern. Re sites, dont have any exact details but have you tried the area around the Mohnesee, not too far from Hemer and in a lovely area. Hope you manage to find somewhere, we love Germany and in fact i have just recieved a posting to Detmold (July) and we are taking the van over after easter for a week as we have loads os paperwork etc to do before our move. Have booked in at the site in Lemgo that David Klyne mentions,which accept the ACSI Card.

hello humbleflyer.

i have seen the place on the net where you lived and where your farther was stationed. the hamlet where my friend lives is in ispei down in the wooded valley i would guess you would have been all through this area must of been a great time of life for you. you mention you are getting a posting back over there are you in the services i am going to ask the c & caravan club to see what is availble in this area david has put me onto some very nice parks so i will just see what is easier meaning weather to just let them book me up i was going to go in april but my son who was coming along could not get the time of work for that time so now is rebooked for may 24th what is the tempreture like at this time is it warmer then here.

ok thanks for the tips and glad it brought back a trip down memory lane for you

thanks again pete

hi ashbash.

thanks for the tip will have a goodlook at that. how much is a speeding fine depending on how fast you are going and do you get any points on your licence.

will have to keep an eye out for the flying dutchman. pete.

Pete

First of all I have taken the liberty of moving this post a more appropriate section so hopefully you will get a better response. We spent quite a bit of time in Germany last year. The only campsite we stayed at in that region was on the edge of the delightful little town of Lemgo which is not far from Bielefeld. I have a site report here http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/campingpark_lemgo. htm It had recently been taken over by an enthusiastic young owner when we were there so I expect there could be some more improvements if you get the chance to visit. It might be a bit too far east for your requirements. Generally I found that most Germany campsites accept the standard CEE17 blue socket for electrics. Also :rolleyes: not uncommon to get 16amps! Regarding the towing speed limit you are right that it is 80kms an hour. Whilst you do this at your own risk there does seem to be an acceptance that you keep up with the trucks but obviously keep an eye out for those pretty green cars! You have to be a little more careful at weekends when generally there are no trucks and you will be an easier target for the Polizei. You can of course, if your van qualifies, apply for a Tempo 100 at a local TUV centre, this will allow you to tow at 100kms. They put a large sticker on the front caravan roof so that you can be identified as legal. Another thing to be careful of is that on quite a few sections of two lane autobahn there are no overtaking restrictions. Some seem permanent and others between certain times. Would really encourage you to go to Germany as its a delight to tour with a caravan.

David

hello david again just read your article about the english open prison where you may come and go so long as you tell them and are tagged and searched. thought this was a free county only to immigrants it most deffinately seems. some of people agree with the goverment ok boarder checks fine but what if you intend going on a trip like the one i am doing in germany yes i know i am going to ispei hemer. but i want to go where takes my fancy after that does this mean i cannot do it i have to plan every movement befor i go and will they want proof of this at the ports or have i got it all wrong on my return from germany i will be bringing a couple of old 1950s mopeds back from my friends does it mean i have to tell them now befor i do as i dont want them taking them off me at the ports / customs. maybe they are trying to put people off going and spending there money in an other countrys so they get more revenue back out of it here. pete.