The Funny Things We See On Site

kde

Been reading the "table lamp in the window " topic and it got me thinking. ......

Over the years one of the strange phenomena we have seen and been baffled with is this scenario:

outfit pulls up and driver surveys his chosen pitch.

OH gets out to give instructions with hand movements looking very professional.

Driver starts to get the reversing wrong and suddenly OH stops the hand gestures, grabs the handle on the back of the caravan and starts to push against the reverse movement of the outfit in an ill fated attempt to correct or stop the manouvre. WHY?

Arguments then start and the whole process starts again.

Recognise this one???????????????????

My OH insists that she does not suffer from this afliction, and wants me to make this point clear Yeah!!!!right

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funniest thing I saw was a middle aged couple who pulled up on site with a pick-up towing a large twin axle. They then spent the whole afternoon unloading the van and truck with various items of furniture including two large wicker chairs and 6' x 4' wicker table with a glass top.

A large separates hifi and speakers was also put into the awning.

The best part though was a large plastic garden store which the pair of them seemed to struggle lifting because of the weight.

This was placed behind the caravan and believe or not the guy got out an electric lawnmower and mowed the grass around his pitch even collecting the grass clippings in recycling bags.

I only assumed they had a seasonal pitch but alas they stayed just three days and packed up and moved off site taking everything with them. .

Nowt stranger than folk they say. ..

Range Rover TDV8 Autobiography and 1993 Carlight Commander 184EK MKII

Saw a couple once start to argue when putting up the awning, she was inside holding up the canvas shouting out for all to hear about how useless he was. He sloped off to the bar leaving her to it, (he got my vote) no one rushed to help and once she realised she was on her own she just sat in the car till he came back.

I kept my head down.

jeff

I once saw somebody drive off without the 'van! They reversed the car's towball under the hitch then connected the electrics, checked the lights and drove off without actually lowering the hitch onto the towball :D . Luckily the plugs pulled out with no damage but they were very embarrased when they came back as they got to the site entrance before they realised,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Been reading the "table lamp in the window " topic and it got me thinking. ......

Over the years one of the strange phenomena we have seen and been baffled with is this scenario:

outfit pulls up and driver surveys his chosen pitch.

OH gets out to give instructions with hand movements looking very professional.

Driver starts to get the reversing wrong and suddenly OH stops the hand gestures, grabs the handle on the back of the caravan and starts to push against the reverse movement of the outfit in an ill fated attempt to correct or stop the manouvre. WHY?

Arguments then start and the whole process starts again.

Recognise this one???????????????????

My OH insists that she does not suffer from this afliction, and wants me to make this point clear Yeah!!!!right

We were on a rally where a couple opposite were pitched up a steep slope with front steadies chocked up high. when it came time to leave he tried to reverse up but just couldn't get it right, so, eventually, he drove down the hill and parked the car then walked back to the van and, you guessed it, released the handbrake! The result turned out to be quite funny although it could have been a disaster. He ended up holding on to the hitch and handbreak whilst using his heels to try and slow the van down while his missus was dragged down the field as she held on to the rear grab handle. How they missed our van amongst others and indeed eventually managed to stop the van at all was a minor miracle. He, of course blamed her because, he said, "If you were any good at giving decent reversing signals it wouldn't have happened".

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Saw a couple once start to argue when putting up the awning, she was inside holding up the canvas shouting out for all to hear about how useless he was. He sloped off to the bar leaving her to it, (he got my vote) no one rushed to help and once she realised she was on her own she just sat in the car till he came back.

I kept my head down.

jeff

Probably me and my wife :lol:

only joking - wifey doesnt boil, just simmers! :blink:

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

The most embarrasing thing that ever happened to us was about 15 years ago with an oldish Avondale Leda caravan. Our two sons, who are both strapping lads, had been left at home for the first time. The first weekend they decided to come and visit us, for some tidy cooked meals, not to see us particularly.

Anyway, we had left the front seats and table made up as a bed, so we all decided to squeeze into the smaller rear dining area for the meal. As we all sat down, BOTH the rear corner steadies gave up the ghost and collapsed!!

As you can imagine the back end of the caravan dropped alarmingly and the front shot up into the air. As we all scrambled out my wife and I immediately looked around to see if anyone was watching but the two boys were much more concerned with their lunch which was strewn all over the floor!!

This thread is brill! :D

Last year a van pulled up next to us and they duly reversed onto the pitch perfectly. Then it went a bit awry! They wound down the front steadies and then bodily lifted the hitch off the towball. My wife, thinking they were new to vanning, went out to help but was bluntly told that they had been caravanning for years and didnt need any :o I did wonder why they took their chiropractor with them :lol::ph34r:

So we then sat out in the sun and watched the ensuing chaos all afternoon - it was very funny.

Mind you I have made nearly every mistake you can think off

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I've related this one before (on another thread) but it gets my vote everytime.

Outfit pulls onto site in the Vendee in France and the caravan is reversed on to the pitch.

Wife gets out of car and starts waving her arms about. .

Husband disappears into the 'van and comes out with a table, a chair, a TV and a Satellite Dish. ..

He connects the Leccy and sets up the Satellite Dish and TV. .. all the time she's waving her arms and encouraging him to move faster.

Eventually it's all set up and she sits in the chair and switches channels on the TV . ... you've probably guessed it by now. . "Na Na Nana Na Nana"... Coronation Street.

Whilst she is engrossed in the episode he puts up the awning. . AROUND HER. .. and gets the water system and waste set up!!

It seemed to work for them. .. but did I laugh!!!!

G.

My father purchased a very old and smelly 4 berth van that had a double bed at the front that was made up by using the table top. It had bunks at the back of which the top one was canvass.

They took my ageing uncle and aunt who top the scales at about 25 and 20 stone on a bank holiday weekend to Selsea. With safety in mind, my parents opted to take the bunks and gave uncle and aunt the double. A good night of drinking was had before bed.

At 2am the said uncle needed to use the on-site facilities and so catapiller like made his way to the edge of the bed. However before he got there, CRACK! the table top broke length ways down the middle rolling the occupants together and wedging themselves in the space between the now two front seats.

After lots of pulling and rocking of the van the pair were freed. They spent the rest of the night in the on-site games room keeping warm. Now to say that they are not the quitest of people would be understating the matter, I dread to think what other people saw or heard.

They have now sold the van a brought a motorhome.

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw

We're laughing our heads off here. More stories please!

DITTO

CHEERS DAZKIM

Loved reading them all. tears rolling with laughter, especially the one with the couple who brought everything with them including the lawnmower. so i still have time to add more stuff in my van then he he he :D

What always makes me laugh is this, every camp site has a poser. New van, all the gadgets etc. They will spend the best part of Friday evening setting up, making sure everything is just right. Then get up Saturday morning only to rearrange everything. Then leave at the crack of dawn on Sunday. :blink: Hardly a rest is it ?

Regards
Ian

What always makes me laugh is this, every camp site has a poser. New van, all the gadgets etc. They will spend the best part of Friday evening setting up, making sure everything is just right. Then get up Saturday morning only to rearrange everything. Then leave at the crack of dawn on Sunday. :blink: Hardly a rest is it ?
got to admit, I do like my gadgets but I set them up while we are not away so they are ready for the caravanning season. time away is relaxing time

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Sorry Ian. ..............didn't realise it was you parked next to me. ............. :D;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

about 35 years ago 6 friends & I decided to have a long weekend away I had a sprite 400 & one of my mates borrowed a sprite alpine we departed to the coast on friday night Unfortunatly my mate was involved in an accident on the way badly damaging his car I pulled his van onto the grass verge & said I would take my van on & return for his van. I got back in time to see 2 of my mates & 2 coppers who had arrived to take details climb into the van,the two police went to the front to sit down at the table while my mates made tea in the end kitchin,on taking the teas to the police the van crashed down on the floor, they had not put down the steadys The police jumped up & ran to the other end & the van crashed down the other way where upon they all ran back the otherway, again the van crashed to the floor This went on for another 4 times with police running 1 way & my mates running the other, the rest of us were by now rolling on the grass helpless

It only stopped when the police fell out of the van (no step) & fell face down on the grass. we did end up having a good diving week end & my mate recovered damages from the other party.

that was in the days when wild camping was normal

Sorry Ian. ..............didn't realise it was you parked next to me. ............. :D;)

Well if the van next to you had a wonky awning, that was us ! :lol::lol:

Regards
Ian

We really must have looked a c ouple of plonkers this weekend. We brought our van back from its annual service, and tried to put it back on our new seasonal pitch. We dedided to use the motor mover for the last final adjustments, and wondered why it wasn't moving much. It was on gravel and reversing uphill, so we tried 'helping' by pushing. After a few minutes and lots of blue air, OH realised the handbrake was on!! Doh!

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

6 years ago in France a french family, Mum,Dad and three strapping great lads pulled up in a bashed up Renault towing a 10 foot caravan. (10 feet long may be exaggerated ).

Put the awning up which must have dated back to the beginning of caravanning and promptly stuck one of the poles straight through the centre of the awning roof.

Big bust up started and went on for half an hour.

Dont ask me what the sleeping arrangements were or what happened next as it poured down all night and the next day.

Having said that we went on a rally in France and one couple took their trailer tent. They arrived at 4pm and were still putting everything away at 10 o'clock at night.

They had more toys on board than at a Toys R us Superstore.

When they asked how quickly we all managed to set up we said cut your load down by half. .......then halve it again.

2018 Kia Sorento.            Elddis Capiro 554.

When we stayed at Crystal Palace 2 years ago there was a French family with a very small van. Mum Dad and teenage son, who was at least 6'3". He towered over me. The lad slept in the estate car.

Regards
Ian

6 years ago in France a french family, Mum,Dad and three strapping great lads pulled up in a bashed up Renault towing a 10 foot caravan. (10 feet long may be exaggerated ).

Put the awning up which must have dated back to the beginning of caravanning and promptly stuck one of the poles straight through the centre of the awning roof.

Big bust up started and went on for half an hour.

Dont ask me what the sleeping arrangements were or what happened next as it poured down all night and the next day.

Having said that we went on a rally in France and one couple took their trailer tent. They arrived at 4pm and were still putting everything away at 10 o'clock at night.

They had more toys on board than at a Toys R us Superstore.

When they asked how quickly we all managed to set up we said cut your load down by half. .......then halve it again.

Hi Rob,

I wonder what weight they were towing around?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Chatsworth this weekend, I watched a chap set up his aquaroll next to the caravan, then proceed to fill a 5 litre bucket with water from the service point.

He then filled the aquaroll from the bucket, by pouring the water into a make shift funnel made from an upturned 2 litre squash bottle with the bottom removed.

At first I thought maybe he had not brought the handle or the filler tube for the aquaroll, but no, the handle was resting against the caravan with the tube wrapped around it.

GPS

Chatsworth this weekend, I watched a chap set up his aquaroll next to the caravan, then proceed to fill a 5 litre bucket with water from the service point.

He then filled the aquaroll from the bucket, by pouring the water into a make shift funnel made from an upturned 2 litre squash bottle with the bottom removed.

At first I thought maybe he had not brought the handle or the filler tube for the aquaroll, but no, the handle was resting against the caravan with the tube wrapped around it.

GPS

hi Steve,

He may have lost the cap off the Aquaroll or maybe cross threaded it and it leaks when he's roling it back to his 'van? Or maybe he hasn't read the instructions :D,

Regards,

Ian.

hi Steve,

He may have lost the cap off the Aquaroll or maybe cross threaded it and it leaks when he's roling it back to his 'van? Or maybe he hasn't read the instructions :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Answers on a postcard to:- :D:D