2004 Bailey Ranger Dilemma

Tigerseye

Hello

I haven't posted on here in ages since I bought my first oldie caravan last year, mainly cos we have been busy touring in it :D

Sadly, it looks like it will shortly be going to the great caravan site in the sky :unsure: and so we have looked at a recommended local dealer to see what they have in our (meagre) price range. I think this time we would prefer a reputable dealer for servicing, some element of warranty etc etc as our old van had major damp which we didn't spot.

Anyhoo, we have seen a very nice 2004 Bailey Ranger 470/4 which really fits the bill nicely, they will do part x and it would cost £6k. Trouble is, from googling around (including on here) it seems there have been a few issues with this year Baileys letting in water, cracking, panel problems etc etc and the dreaded damp!

Not wanting a frying pan - fire situation, any suggestions? Any positive Ranger 2004 stories? What can I ask the dealer to find out of it has been fixed for ingress under the warranty and so on?

Any ideas welcome, we really wanted to go for it but the reports on this damp problem have put the mockers on it a bit.

Thanks ;)

Hi Tigerseye

Ask if they will let you take it to another dealer and have it damp tested, don't forget there is bound to be more Bailey problems because there are more sold than other makes. Ask for to see the service hand book and phone the last dealer that serviced it. Just a thought, if you can stretch. Why not look at some thing like this http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/Caravans-Bailey-Rang. ..A1%7C240%3A1318 Ok its £8700 (and might be therefore totally out of the ball park) but you should be able to get them down significantly, as long as it's got a correct service record you will be able to transfer the baileys warrenty for 3 years and have a 2007 van. but there again I might be talking rubbish :)

Kevin

Hi Tigerseye

Ask if they will let you take it to another dealer and have it damp tested, don't forget there is bound to be more Bailey problems because there are more sold than other makes. Ask for to see the service hand book and phone the last dealer that serviced it. Just a thought, if you can stretch. Why not look at some thing like this http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/Caravans-Bailey-Rang. ..A1%7C240%3A1318 Ok its £8700 (and might be therefore totally out of the ball park) but you should be able to get them down significantly, as long as it's got a correct service record you will be able to transfer the baileys warrenty for 3 years and have a 2007 van. but there again I might be talking rubbish :)

Kevin

Hi

Thanks, I think this caravan was originally sold by them and has come back in as a part ex (they get a lot of repeat custom) and they have serviced it themselves. They should let me view the service history prior to purchase I guess (same as you would with a car?)

I'd love to have £8k to spend but in truth we only wanted to spend £5k but may stretch to £6k as dealers don't have much for less than this! They are giving us £500 for our old caravan which is more than generous!

As it's a 2004 with a 6 year water ingress warranty I am assuming it still has a few more months left on it in case anything does come in. So perhaps that, with a 12 month warranty from the dealer, might put my mind more at ease.

I always thought Baileys were well thought of, it's just this 2004 period seemed a bit 'wobbly'.

As it's a 2004 with a 6 year water ingress warranty I am assuming it still has a few more months left on it in case anything does come in. So perhaps that, with a 12 month warranty from the dealer, might put my mind more at ease.

I always thought Baileys were well thought of, it's just this 2004 period seemed a bit 'wobbly'.

I don't want to disappoint you but the Bailey 6 year warranty is only transferrable on caravans built after 1 Sep 2005 so it might be worth looking at one a year later

Brian

Don't take the dealers word for it.

Following on from Brian I's advice check the annual service dates to ensure any warranty is still in force.

Oh, from memory I think you'll find that even 2005 warranties are only transferable on private sales.

Scales

Hello

I haven't posted on here in ages since I bought my first oldie caravan last year, mainly cos we have been busy touring in it :D

Sadly, it looks like it will shortly be going to the great caravan site in the sky :unsure: and so we have looked at a recommended local dealer to see what they have in our (meagre) price range. I think this time we would prefer a reputable dealer for servicing, some element of warranty etc etc as our old van had major damp which we didn't spot.

Anyhoo, we have seen a very nice 2004 Bailey Ranger 470/4 which really fits the bill nicely, they will do part x and it would cost £6k. Trouble is, from googling around (including on here) it seems there have been a few issues with this year Baileys letting in water, cracking, panel problems etc etc and the dreaded damp!

Not wanting a frying pan - fire situation, any suggestions? Any positive Ranger 2004 stories? What can I ask the dealer to find out of it has been fixed for ingress under the warranty and so on?

Any ideas welcome, we really wanted to go for it but the reports on this damp problem have put the mockers on it a bit.

Thanks ;)

We've just traded in our 2003 Ranger 470/4. Kept it from new, no trouble at all over many miles here and abroad. Bone dry and always felt a solid build van with good specs. Was great to tow with plenty of capacity for user payload even with average weight tow car.

Felt the end of the Discovery didn't do the newer Rangers any favours.

Changing to Elddis now but have had no complaints with Bailey. Like other posters though I appreciate each van is an individual and you need to do the checks.

If you go ahead with the Ranger I've got a unused spare wheel going!

Happy caravanning whatever you decide.

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

We've just traded in our 2003 Ranger 470/4. Kept it from new, no trouble at all over many miles here and abroad. Bone dry and always felt a solid build van with good specs. Was great to tow with plenty of capacity for user payload even with average weight tow car.

Felt the end of the Discovery didn't do the newer Rangers any favours.

Changing to Elddis now but have had no complaints with Bailey. Like other posters though I appreciate each van is an individual and you need to do the checks.

If you go ahead with the Ranger I've got a unused spare wheel going!

Happy caravanning whatever you decide.

Thanks - pity we didn't meet, you could have swapped your 2003 Ranger for my 1989 leaky Elddis :P

We are going to look at it again in the morning and ask to see the paperwork/damp test etc etc.

The 2004/05 Rangers have had a damp problem due to the front panel cracking. If the dealer is the supplying dealer, and can provide the service histroy, then just ask them directly has the van had any warranty work done.

If it has, then I'd consider the problem dealt with, Bailey appear to have supplied a much sturdier front panel to replace the leaky ones (my van got done last year) and C&S caravans in Accrington, who repaired mine under warranty, said they'd replaced plenty, but not had any returning for further panel replacements.

If the dealer says it hasn't been done, then IMHO that would be more chancy.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

The 2004/05 Rangers have had a damp problem due to the front panel cracking. If the dealer is the supplying dealer, and can provide the service histroy, then just ask them directly has the van had any warranty work done.

If it has, then I'd consider the problem dealt with, Bailey appear to have supplied a much sturdier front panel to replace the leaky ones (my van got done last year) and C&S caravans in Accrington, who repaired mine under warranty, said they'd replaced plenty, but not had any returning for further panel replacements.

If the dealer says it hasn't been done, then IMHO that would be more chancy.

Thanks, I think we will do that, if the bodywork warranty from the original owners is still valid and they had a problem I would hope they had the work done. So should show up in the SH.

Fingers crossed, it could be a 2003/4 model as the furnishings look very like 2003 models that come up on searches, so that may be better and perhaps might lower the price as well!

Stress cracks were not confined to the front panels,the rear panels were also affected & it was not confined to bailey vans, other makes were also affected as they purchased their panels from the same company

as far as Bailey models go it mainly(but not solely) occured on the Ranger models with the single large front window

I was told by my dealer that it was down to the fact that the fixing screw holes did not have sufficient clearance & the screws cut a thread in the panel resulting in stress fractures. however the cracks seem to appear on the curve of the roof line at each side of the van

Edited by TD 42

Tiger,

Just to add to my earlier post, the terms of the Bailey warranty can be found here.

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/ranger/warranty. htm

Item 3 of the terms & conditions is the one I was referring to

Brian

Thanks for finding that, what a shame the warranty isn't just for the 6 year period whoever owns the van :mellow:

Stress cracks were not confined to the front panels,the rear panels were also affected & it was not confined to bailey vans, other makes were also affected as they purchased their panels from the same company

as far as Bailey models go it mainly(but not solely) occured on the Ranger models with the single large front window

I was told by my dealer that it was down to the fact that the fixing screw holes did not have sufficient clearance & the screws cut a thread in the panel resulting in stress fractures. however the cracks seem to appear on the curve of the roof line at each side of the van

This van has the large front window so I shall check that out. I will have a good squint at the roof line and see if there is any hint of this.

Thing is, if you look deep enough there are probably reasons not to buy any van type :blink: because many have problems and some have no problems at all.

Thanks for finding that, what a shame the warranty isn't just for the 6 year period whoever owns the van :mellow:

This van has the large front window so I shall check that out. I will have a good squint at the roof line and see if there is any hint of this.

Thing is, if you look deep enough there are probably reasons not to buy any van type :blink: because many have problems and some have no problems at all.

TD might be right. IMHO I thought the change to a single window was a retrograde step from the less flex triple arrangement. Who knows though? We had a Bailey de Ville before the Ranger. Lovely van but a hairline crack appeared from the window fitting. Might have had something to do with me driving off with the jockey wheel down of course and the vibration that caused! That's what I put it down too anyway and an insurance job replaced the panel!

You seem to be getting good advice from posters so hope all goes well. I'll be interested to read what you decide. I routinely use Creeping Crack Cure to reach the parts other sealants cannot reach! Feel I'm being preventative anyway but appreciate this won't prevent cracks in panels whatever make of van.

Good luck - D

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

Hi,

We had a Ranger which had tiny cracks in the front panel, but it was due to a screw standing proud, which was fixed under warranty. We had no damp issues and we enjoyed the 'van very much only changing for a fixed bed Pageant,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Well, we bought a caravan today :o:blink::D

But not the Ranger, instead we bought a Bailey Senator Arizona :huh: which is 2 years older being a 2002 but with higher spec. Same money. I am about to google it but any feedback would be very welcome, we have put down a deposit but it is transferable if for any reason the van doesn't suit.

Well, we bought a caravan today :o:blink::D

But not the Ranger, instead we bought a Bailey Senator Arizona :huh: which is 2 years older being a 2002 but with higher spec. Same money. I am about to google it but any feedback would be very welcome, we have put down a deposit but it is transferable if for any reason the van doesn't suit.

Hi, nice choice and I think that you'll enjoy the higher specification and fittings over the Ranger,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hello

Thanks ;)

We bought a Bailey Ranger 500/5 a year ago and have had no problem at all with it, yet friends of ours who have caravanned for a lot lonlger have

a Bailey Discovery 400, and have had 2 new front panels fitted due to damp, Apparently it seems to be more noticeable in the very

front corner lockers of the van, i am sorry if this is of no help but that is the two extremes of how it can be.