Fixed Bunks

Mrk

First Post. .... :rolleyes:

Hello all,

Avidly looking for our first caravan (me, wife, 2 kiddies 3yrs & 6mths), looking for advice and suggestions please. ..

Been to a few dealers over the last 3 or 4 weeks and feel that a van with fixed bunks at one end to close off of an evening is what we would like. Would prefer as light as possible, 4 to 6 berth, single axle and as for price range and age anything from late '90s though to current. Would prefer to spent up to 6k however more (8k) could be found if we fell in love with something :D.

So as an idea some thing like this possibly????:

Q7.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated and information as to easily searching for this or similar layout.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

When I was looking for our first van, eBay was really useful as you can see lots of vans in your price range and view the pictures of them to see which models may suit.

I have seen that layout on loads of vans, I saw a lovely one today but I just can't remember what it was, sorry! I think it was an Abbey and within your price range of £8k, at a dealer (Lowdhams Leisureworld in Berkshire).

Highbridge Caravans in Somerset put loads of their many vans on the net so you could have a look there. And most manufacturers put their layout options on the internet if you look at their sites, Bailey do.

We also like that layout as we have 2 dogs and we let them have the end bed, keeps them off the floor and out of our way!

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Check out the swift Charisma 570 We have one and love the layout .

It is only curtains that separate the sleeping areas hope this helps

Hyundai Santa Fe

SWIFT Oronsay 570

Hi there and welcome to the forum. The layout that you posted above is not common - most single axle fixed bunk modela have the door at the rear. That said, if you find one like that post it on here, as i would prob like to buy it.

My cyrrent van is a fixed bunk, 6 berth, sinlge axle. I really like it for the kids. It saves us making up beds for them and they have somewhere to retreat to that is their own space. the bad points are that th washroom is usually very small for a 6 berth and since mine has the door at the back, my wife has visions of the kids getting out in the middle of the night!!!

For your budget you could get a bailey ranger that is only a few years old. Nice and light but the front double is not as long as in other mans' 6berths. I have a compass 556 which has large double or two singles at the front if you are too knackered to make up the bed

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Many thanks, your obviously a good crowd here on CT :)

Tigerseye - Highbridge Caravans in Somerset are not to far from us in Dorset so will have a good look, I'd not heard of them before.

Leemoore01 - Swift Charisma 570 looks very good

Lee E - Bailey Ranger 550/6 fits the bill nicely

Rodie - Why no bunks for kids?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else with more ideas would be greatfully recieved. ......

we were told, they can fall out of top bunk and do ? i think there is an age restrict on them, we have an 18 and a 5 month old, so we went for fixed bed, we looked at so many and really wanted rear bath room as there usally bigger, but we were happy with our layout, everones different :D

i would agree with rodie for very small kids - top bunk is not suitable. My kids are 4 and 1. I have had my son in the bottom bunk since he was 2 with no probs. Yes he does fall out but bottom bunk is not high. When he stopped falling out of the bunk, was when we put him in the top bunk, which he loves. Now he will be in the top bunk and our 1 year old will be in the bottom.

According to our owners manual, the top bunk is only suitable for 8 year olds and over. No restriction on the bottom bunk. However this figure is only guess work to cover their backs. If your kid does not fall out of bed normally then he will not fall out of a bunk.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Hi MrK,

I can't help you with your questions but if you go on to www. caravanfinder. co. uk you can see various caravan layouts and there are videos of various 'vans on there,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Lee E - Thanks, will have to take the top bunk height into consideration.

Rodie - Thanks, therefore I guess any kid that is old/safe enough for a bunk bed at home should be fine in a van. Decisions decisions.

ian dunning - Thanks for the link, I had seen the site previously but did not realise I can search for just vans with bunk beds. This should be very useful.

All: It's not as easy as I thought choosing a van. .. :D