Flat Battery

phutchison

Stupidly I left the master switch on the panel with the fridge door left open so the battery is now totally flat!

Can I charge with a normal battery charger? I think on the charger I have there are two options - one for fast charge and the other normal.

Cheers

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

Stupidly I left the master switch on the panel with the fridge door left open so the battery is now totally flat!

Can I charge with a normal battery charger? I think on the charger I have there are two options - one for fast charge and the other normal.

Cheers

Paul

Whats wrong with the on board PSU ?

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Cheers

Paul

A slow charge, at a low rate, over several days, will be the best option, preferably with a multi stage smart charger. If the battery has been flat for a long period it may never recover it's full capacity owing to sulphation.

Thanks for all the replies. I only left it last week so hopefully should be able to get back to near enough full charge. It is nearly 5 years old so if it doesn't, then I'll get a new one.

Andy B is right! Even though my storage yard is local (1/2 mile) it's still too far fro an extension lead!

Interestingly, when I went down there this morning, another caravan was being serviced by a mobile engineer. He suggested that I use a normal battery charger and charge off the vehicle as a preference to the onboard charger. Will take his advice.

Thanks Again

Paul

Thanks for all the replies. I only left it last week so hopefully should be able to get back to near enough full charge. It is nearly 5 years old so if it doesn't, then I'll get a new one.

Andy B is right! Even though my storage yard is local (1/2 mile) it's still too far fro an extension lead!

Interestingly, when I went down there this morning, another caravan was being serviced by a mobile engineer. He suggested that I use a normal battery charger and charge off the vehicle as a preference to the onboard charger. Will take his advice.

Thanks Again

Paul

Hi Paul

Sorry, I thought we all kept our vans at home (silly me)

If it is a "normal" charge then don't leave it on more than 24 hrs, but as Beejay says if it is a smart or multistage one then fine.

The problem with a "normal" charger is they can go up to about 20 Volts and will boil the battery dry.

(see if you had it at home, you would not have this problem !!) only joking

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

If the battery has been left in the dead state for too long then the plates may have crystallised and they won't take any charge.

If the battery has been left in the dead state for too long then the plates may have crystallised and they won't take any charge.

Which is why a multi stage charger such as the C-tec 3600 with battery conditioning mode are usualy recommended. this can usually deal with sulphated plates & bring a dead battery to life again Its also cheaper than buying a new battery

THanks for all your replies.

Charged it up using a standard Halfords battery charger (about 10 years old!) - 8amp - and using a multimeter it gave a 13V reading. I have yet to put on the caravan but it seems that it is now fully charged!..

Cheers

Paul

Some battery chargers wont/can't charge a flat battery,

but if you connect the flat battery to a good battery (jump leads etc) then the charger will be more than happy & work

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)