What Price Gas?

colonel

You would have thought that with fuel prices coming down, so would LPG. Dream on. I bought a 10 kg refill yesterday from Homebase and I could not believe the price. In January I paid just under £20 but now it's £26! :o There is now not a lot to choose between BP and Calor. I think BP/Homebase might have just shot themselves in the foot. :angry:

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

We in the caravaning community stand NO chance -- of even thinking about "real" gas prices. .

For example -- you know that you can in your home town can get gas at say ~~ £10. .

then you go on holiday -- the gas runs out you are sent out to get a new bottle --and it cost ~~£13

-- you would be an awfully brave person to go back and say "sorry I wouldn't buy it as I know it is £10 at home"

and that is where we are -- a fixed market

and dont say "I have never run out "

Rock and a hard place. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Paid £18. 80 for a 6kg Calor light today

John.

Paid £18. 80 for a 6kg Calor light today

John.

That's not bad, paid £20. 60 last week.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Somebody's taking the *****.. In French supermarket service stations the Total Primagaz 10 kg "Primalight" propane bottle and Shell Butagaz 10 kg "Viseo" propane bottle are 9€ deposit + 16€ fill + free regulator. Weight of bottles 6. 3 kg/ 8 kg. Both take 27mm clip on regulator. Shame Tesco / Sainsbury / Morrison / Asda can't compete.

That's not bad, paid £20. 60 last week.

Cheers

Lee

Paid the £18. 80 at Torksey Caravans,and that was in exchange for old type 6kg cylinder.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend 14. 3. 09.

Homebase Exchange BP 10 kg £26. 99. (What a rip off)

I am lead to believe Homebase is the only outlet to supply this gas now, Can any one verify this?.

BMW X5 3. 0sd m sport twin turbo. Fleetwood Heritage ES6 (2009) Best car ever owned subaru impreza wr1

Last weekend 14. 3. 09.

I am lead to believe Homebase is the only outlet to supply this gas now, Can any one verify this?.

It's the old story of monopoly control. BP have tried in the past and failed to penetrate the market. As I understand it a Calor retailer cannot stock another brand which prevents BP, and others, using existing stockists.

Personally, I cannot see the reason why anyone would wish to change to BP, or any other lightweight bottle, at the premium prices charged to save a few kilos. . But, more to the point, why haven't Calor gone down the lightweight route? Answer. ...why should they?

Calor £3. 30 Kg

BP £2. 67 Kg

Whilst I agree BP have put there prices a lot recently, Calor have done nothing about theirs to compete.

Perhaps they all are taking us for a ride.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

A 6Kg Calor Lite direct from Calor Gas themselves at their depot just up the road from me in Salford is £18. 80.

jwa (John) you got a very good price from your Torksey Caravans.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Got what i think is a deal, just paid £19. 99 for a 10kg bottle from a Gas Distributor in a village 16miles away, However the firm often delivers past my home but nowhere in my town, so they kindly offered to stop near my home at an old Motel, and rang me. Took me 3mins to get to him. Still only had to pay the 19. 99 and no del charge, and little diesel used. nearest stock otherwise would have been Brecon, 60mile round trip, or Cardiff 60mile round trip, Both Homebases at £26. 99 plus fuel to get there.

Thanks GM Gas Supplies Limited Treorchy.

nigel

Edited by nigel129

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Last weekend 14. 3. 09.

Check Here

http://lpgas. bpgas. co. uk/cylinder. jsp?appi. ..;da=%20&rt=

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Last weekend 14. 3. 09.

BP originally had deals with Homebase and Truma - but most Truma dealers already had Calor agreements which don't permit sale of a competitor so you're unlikely to find BP Gaslight anywhere other than Homebase.

Given the ban on patio heaters, Homebase may decide to drop it.

BP originally had deals with Homebase and Truma - but most Truma dealers already had Calor agreements which don't permit sale of a competitor so you're unlikely to find BP Gaslight anywhere other than Homebase.

Yesterday, I exchanged 2 x 5Kg BP gaslight at a local garden centre for £28. 50 = £14. 25 ea. Launch price was £14. 75 ea. "Every little helps." Hereabouts, there are also a couple of caravan dealers who offer them and an outdoor centre so, it seems, that Homebase does not have a monopoly.

Yesterday, I exchanged 2 x 5Kg BP gaslight at a local garden centre for £28. 50 = £14. 25 ea. Launch price was £14. 75 ea. "Every little helps." Hereabouts, there are also a couple of caravan dealers who offer them and an outdoor centre so, it seems, that Homebase does not have a monopoly.

Homebase does not have a monopoly, a quick search of my area revealed 4 caravan dealers and 6 gas outlets all stock the BP product, in all cases cheaper than the equivilant Calor product per kg.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Homebase does not have a monopoly, a quick search of my area revealed 4 caravan dealers and 6 gas outlets all stock the BP product, in all cases cheaper than the equivilant Calor product per kg.

Phil.

If the 4 caravan dealers and 6 gas outlets sell BP and Calor, it's only a matter of time before those retailers give up one or the other - their Calor agreement is an exclusive one, although I believe that Camping Gaz is permitted as it's not really a competitor to Calor.

Hi Roger - strong statements - caravan dealers round here stock both - have you any proper basis for saying Homebase may drop BP???

this subject has been aired before - I changed to BP to get more gas, cheaper and for the less total weight than Calor (before they were forced, because of BP, to go to CalorLite). Calor had done nothing to help us reduce the total weight in the previous 35 years - I say good to BP for bringing cylinders into the 21st century.

And, before, anyone asks, I have no connection to either companies.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Hi Roger - strong statements - caravan dealers round here stock both - have you any proper basis for saying Homebase may drop BP???

this subject has been aired before - I changed to BP to get more gas, cheaper and for the less total weight than Calor (before they were forced, because of BP, to go to CalorLite). Calor had done nothing to help us reduce the total weight in the previous 35 years - I say good to BP for bringing cylinders into the 21st century.

And, before, anyone asks, I have no connection to either companies.

I'm simply reporting what's going on.

The normal Calor agreement with retailers precludes the sale of competitors products - not very helpful to customers but perfectly legal - there are probably many dealers still selling both but would have to choose one or the other if Calor come knocking.

When Homebase took BP Gaslight on, the sales of patio heaters was booming - since then parliament has/will/is in process of outlawing sales of new patio heaters - I feel sure that Homebase will evaluate the different business climate and make a decision on stocking BP Gaslight which suits Homebase.

Calor developed and marketed a lightweight aluminium cylinder, 7kg butane, specifically for caravanners - I don't know when it was first available but it was an option in 1983 - it weighed about the same as a CalorLite 6kg propane - this option was dropped because few caravanners used the option, preferring 4. 5kg butane or 7kg steel butane cylinders as little winter caravanning was undertaken.

To suggest that Calor have done nothing to help in 35 years just doesn't stand examination.

I think the whole issue of lightweight gas cylinders is farcical - in the 1980s, cars had 50-60kg noseweight limits and caravans weighed 7-800 kg laden but we didn't have a problem with noseweights "despite" a couple of 7kg butane cylinders, weighing a total of 30kg, on the drawbar - nowadays, cars have 75-80kg limits, SUVs more like 100-150kg, caravans weigh 13-1700kg and we have caravanners concerned about reducing 28kg (2x 6kg propane) down to 20kg by buying different cylinders.

If saving a few kilos is that important, just change to 2x 3. 9 propane - many caravanners use electric most of the time anyway.