Why The Light In The Front Window ??

Call me what you like but since returning from Spain about 5 years ago, when we visit a site in the Uk we see no end of really lovely caravans costing thousands of pounds on sites only to be spoilt (in our opinion) with a £5. 99 cheap light in the front window. Why we do not know, is it like a special signal to others like the strange hand shake of the Masonic clubs??. We just can't see why people do it. Maybe there is someone out there that can explain this strange going on PLease.

Nothing as expensive as £5. 99 in my caravan.

£3. 99 from Ikea with a low wattage bulb. As our caravan is a Sterling Eccles we had to have modern style lamp with tubular glass shade and def no tassles.

Would have asked the same question as the duck, but bought the lamp for the benefit of lighting of our choice when sitting inside, sorry not for the benefit of those on the outside.

Cheers

John.

I have an M&S tablelamp in my front window, in modern chrome with a light brown shade. No tassles and most certainly not pink!

As per the other poster, I prefer the light that table lamps give and it has nothing to do with giving other people benefit - I just prefer the light it gives out.

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Call me what you like but since returning from Spain about 5 years ago, when we visit a site in the Uk we see no end of really lovely caravans costing thousands of pounds on sites only to be spoilt (in our opinion) with a £5. 99 cheap light in the front window. Why we do not know, is it like a special signal to others like the strange hand shake of the Masonic clubs??. We just can't see why people do it. Maybe there is someone out there that can explain this strange going on PLease.

Well I am in neither of these elite "clubs" so don't know the underlying message.

I do however wear an apron, but the message there is only that the BBQ's spitting :rolleyes:

I wondered this as well when driving along in Paris - near Park de Vincent - and saw loads of "white vans" parked at the side of the road --some with lights in the front window and others with No light. .

I must be dim -- I had NO idea what they were -- I thought it was some sort of rally. .. until my wife informed me ---

-- Blush. .. ladies of the night - and their offices. .

Now I look at all vans with lights in the window -- parked up --in a "new light"

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I think the OP is referring to vans with a lamp, lit, in the front window after dark. If so, it's like the Belgian/Dutch habit of displaying what there is inside the house to passers by. There is a word for it but I can't recall what is. Anyone?

Edit: remembered it. ........gezelligheid

Edited by beejay

On another thread, someone was complaining about caravanners who pull all the blinds down and 'lock themselves away' as soon as it starts to get dark - now someone wonders why people have lamps on and blinds open so you can see into their van. Surely it's down to personal choice? I don't like to draw the blinds too early, but then I prefer the softer light of a table lamp (which is a beech wood block base and square cream parchment shade (no tassels) to the brilliant halogen lamps provided by the van manufacturer.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

These lights are always put there by 'swingers'. Next time, just knock on the door, show them your other half and you'll be welcomed in. Honest - it's a very well known secret!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I suppose it's better than a bunch of plastic flowers :lol::lol:

Nothing wrong with our plastic flowers :lol:

Hyundai Santa Fe

SWIFT Oronsay 570

Hi,

We don't have a lamp but I would have thought it was just a personal choice. Mind we never have the blinds down until bedtime so anybody can look in to our 'van, again it's personal choice,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

More than enough lamps in my Oklahoma to warrant an extra reading light. More than likely to have my jar of Marmite on display though(unintentionally). I'm just a bit too lazy to keep putting it away.

<p>JTSBMW X3 3. 0 M Sport :Lunar Clubman SB Saros Edition

These lights are always put there by 'swingers'. Next time, just knock on the door, show them your other half and you'll be welcomed in. Honest - it's a very well known secret!

That's it. ......I'm having two of the B£^^%*s in the front window next time I go away! :lol:

Style choice I would imagine,

Just like having gnomes in the awning entrance :D

The fact that I take my vertically challenged friends on holiday, is no concern of yours. ............... :P:D

Best answer so far :lol:

What about the tray with decanter and chrystal glasses?

Jeff

Guest Rimmer

I think you will find the idea stems back to when caravans were fitted with limited mains. This was about early 1980 ish, before then gas lamps and 12 v strip lights ruled.

With 240v electric being gradually installed in caravans, the trend was to provide a 240v lamp for evening TV viewing. ..hence the lamp on the center table at the front of a caravan.

Obviously, not everyone has a front locker unit now days, but the trend for a side light as opposed to a cetre light means side lights are still being used.

Why tassled lamp shades?? well thats probably because they are made from fabric, relatively light and not easy to break.

I always thought the lights were in the front window to match the two in the awning :D and also for SWMBO to say "I like that, we should have one" - not while I'm with her shes not - bit too twee for me :lol:

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Oooo will have to buy a lamp next time I'm out :lol:

Swift Challenger 560 (2007) with Reich Motor Mover & Ford Mondeo 2. 2 Titanium X TDCI (08 ) with Sports pack

A lovely Husband & 3 lively Yorkshire Terriers!!

:D I thought that these lights performed the same function as airport aids to navigation. ....you know go out for a P at the Toilet Block and use your distinctive light to navigate back!

Volkswagon Sharan TDi + Swift Charisma (Oronsay)