Bike Rack Mounted On Rear Of Van

cheers

Hi. .. I asked a few days ago if it was possible or even a good idea to mount a bike rack on the rear of the caravan. In particular I was asking about my own Bailey Ranger 540/6 following is the reply to my email sent to Bailey. I must say Kelly is fantastic and always answers any queries promptly.

========================================

Message Received: Mar 06 2009, 11:34 AM

Cc:

Subject: RE: Bailey Ranger 540/6 Bike Rack

Dear Sharon Thank you for your email regarding your Bailey Ranger 540/6 The research undertaken in conjunction with Bath University recently has suggested that the mounting of cycles on the caravan back panel does have an adverse effect on towing stability and would not be recommended by us. The alternatives are tow bar mounting subject to nose weight limit, roof rack mounting or inside the caravan, unfortunately not areas we can advise on. I trust this is of assistance Kind Regards Kelly WattsBailey Helpline

Edited by cheers

Ranger 540/6. .. Love it dearly!!!

Hi. .. I asked a few days ago if it was possible or even a good idea to mount a bike rack on the rear of the caravan. In particular I was asking about my own Bailey Ranger 540/6 following is the reply to my email sent to Bailey. I must say Kelly is fantastic and always answers any queries promptly.

To: "SHARON MCILHINNEY"

Cc:

Dear Sharon Thank you for your email regarding your Bailey Ranger 540/6 The research undertaken in conjunction with Bath University recently has suggested that the mounting of cycles on the caravan back panel does have an adverse effect on towing stability and would not be recommended by us. The alternatives are tow bar mounting subject to nose weight limit, roof rack mounting or inside the caravan, unfortunately not areas we can advise on. I trust this is of assistance Kind Regards Kelly WattsBailey Helpline

Not exactly a positive answer.

Not exactly a positive answer.

Seems it to me:

question - is it a good idea to. .?

answer - its not recommended.

But then I am a Civil Servant :D

. ..well it's a no isn't it .

You asked a question.

Bailey gave an answer. It wasn't the answer you hoped for, but they explained why and clearly had your safety in mind (and that of other road users). They were curteous, gave alternatives.

Edited by Tigger

Unless you already carry something on the roof of the car, why would you want to carry bikes on the back of the caravan. Carrying them on the roof also means you can take your bike (up to 4) with you without the caravan.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

You asked a question.

Bailey gave an answer. It wasn't the answer you hoped for, but they explained why and clearly had your safety in mind (and that of other road users). They were curteous, gave alternatives.

Don't think the original poster was querying the reply :mellow:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

You asked a question.

I think you are replying to my post not 'Cheers' the OP's and I agree with your comment but. ..................

Carrying bikes on the rear of a caravan is common practice on the continent, some manufacturers provide reinforced mounting points specifically for the purpose, and the testing procedures, particularly TüV, would have identified any problems that may arise from the practice. All caravans have the potential to be unstable for a number of reasons, it's up to users to satisfy themselves their outfit is safe and legal. Owners of Bailey caravans have a suggestion to take into consideration that the practice is not recommended. Whilst the university has done testing on the effect of loading it is with skeleton trailers not a caravan. Do roof mounted air con units, weighing 35 kg +, affect stability? 'A' frame cycle carriers affect nose weight and tow bar cycle carriers may overload the towbar mounting, and these are, or should be, compensated by re-distributing the load. How many caravanners know the exact weight of their van (or in some cases, care?) just watch some unload at a site to answer that. Will ATC systems lead some people to take chances because the ATC will compensate?

Baileys aren't continental caravans - that's the fundamental reason why it's not advised.

What do you mean by that Roger: draw bar length, weight or anything else?

What do you mean by that Roger: draw bar length, weight or anything else?

Continental caravans are often designed for mounting bike racks because continental caravanners presumably request it more often than we do - their manufacturer will (or should) take all the relevant factors into account.

Baileys presumably feel that bike racks on a British caravan is a minority request so don't design it in - no different to certain layouts only being available at particular model price points.

When I bought my caravan, I could have asked for the supporting structure on the rear for a bike rack if I had ordered one yet to be built. Mine was already built so had no choice. (Bailey Pageant)

Edited by phutchison

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

Baileys aren't continental caravans - that's the fundamental reason why it's not advised.

I did imply continental users not caravans but I am sure you know that the continental van is much more stable, and why, than U. K. counterparts. B) . Interestingly, ABI exported many vans to the Dutch market, many of which must have had bike racks fitted.

phutchinson's post indicates that Bailey DO approve bike racks, at least on one model, so where does that leave their suggestion and recommendation?

To: "SHARON MCILHINNEY"

Cc:

You could have asked Kelly that question in the Bailey section of the forum as she is an active participant ;)

Bailey Ranger 510/4

& Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1. 9TDI

Various010-1.jpgmedia3_cropped-4.jpg