Proposed Speed Limit Changes

RogerL

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www. timesonline. co. uk/tol/driving/article5864847. ece

This proposal won't affect us while towing but will slow us down when solo.

It would save all casualties if the speed limit was reduced to Zero. :angry:

I hope no one in the goverment is reading this. :blush:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Cut Road Deaths!

Reduce Carbon Emissions as well!

Difficult to argue about that, especially if you have close relatives who've been killed in road accidents (I haven't)

Scales

All those could be achieved if we all drove behind a man walking with a red flag !!

Cut Road Deaths!
Says who? The minister for roads? Lies, damned lies & statistics

Reduce Carbon Emissions as well!

. .....

My auto is still in 3rd at 50 mph but has dropped into 4th/top at 60 mph so will it reduce carbon emmisions . ...Green issues . ...... that's another band waggon!

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

All those could be achieved if we all drove behind a man walking with a red flag !!

He wouldn't walk very fast with all the equipment that Elf'n'safety would insist he used. That is not an option anyway, it would render the "Safety" cameras and average speed cameras obsolete, there would be no income from that :ph34r:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

According to an article on TV this morning more deaths occur on these roads than any other types.

So it slows the responsible motorist down SO that when 'jack the lad' comes screaming round the corner on the wrong side and collides with you the impact speed has been reduced by 10 mph :blush:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

With the amount of traffic on the roads I'm lucky to get past 50mph at the best of times. :blink:

Regards
Ian

I can't see it will make any difference except to frustrate the law abiding citizens who obey the current speed limits.

The accidents are being caused by those with no consideration for the law and probably exceeding the speed limit anyway.

I can't see it will make any difference except to frustrate the law abiding citizens who obey the current speed limits.

The accidents are being caused by those with no consideration for the law and probably exceeding the speed limit anyway.

If it saves lives it's ok by me. We have far too many young people killed on the road at the moment.

If it frustrates you, then leave earlier, plus most people cannot say they stick to 30mph, 40mph to the MILE, can you?

Law abiding or not, do you stick exacty to 30mph? and never go over?

It really gets my goat when people put themselves into the "law abiding citizen" category, how self righteous.

Plus I agree with Ted, in that if it reduces the overall impact in the event of a head on collision, then there will be less carnage.

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Just one thing to remember if ever you get in a average speed camera trap!

The cameras can only read the average speed in the lane you entered the first camera in. So if you change lane before each camera you will not get a sppeding ticket even if you were well over the limit!

Yes sounds mad but it was a traffic police officer who told me? :unsure:

Kind regards Peter and Rosalind.  Remember 

"One hand for you and one for the ship".  https://www. flickr. com/photos/curtisden/

Guest iancjc

The cameras can only read the average speed in the lane you entered the first camera in. So if you change lane before each camera you will not get a sppeding ticket even if you were well over the limit!

thats correct - on the A14 (Huntingdon / Cambridge) they are the same BUT they check you through all of the cameras so you may be ok after the first one but could get a ticket if your avarge through 3 sets of camera's is above the limit.

Thankfully they are on a section where for 90% of the time you're lucky to be doing 50 rather than 80!

Edited by iancjc

I heard that although that may have been true on first generation average speed cameras - it no longer is - does anyone actually know?

There is a road near me which was national speed limit but accidents kept happening but the collisions were alledgedly caused by people exceeding that limit so what did they do, they dropped the limit to 50mph but the accidents kept happening, and those involved were already exceeding that limit so they made it 40mph and it still has collisions still continue, the difference is that where as before they were 10mph over the limit they are now 30mph over the limit. Just because the limit is lower will not mean the accidents will stop. One of the accidents on the road in question was involving two vehicles driven by young drivers that were doing 85mph if they are not willing to stick to 60mph what will make them stick to 50mph or 40mph.

I heard that although that may have been true on first generation average speed cameras - it no longer is - does anyone actually know?

It was not that they could not check your speed because they could, it was that they were not type approved to do more than one lane of traffic.

http://news. bbc. co. uk/1/hi/uk/7661013. stm

This is just another scam by the incompetents running the country to raise money to pay for Gordon's failure in running UK plc.

"Speed Check Services, the company behind the cameras, claims the number of deaths or serious injuries at its sites has fallen on average by 60%." Yeah right of course it does - it's in the business of selling speed cameras. Now show us some real independent evidence that actually stacks up. This is 'weapons of mass destruction' all over again

I trust someone will start a petition on the Number 10 Website.

Well lets raise the speed limit then if people don't stick to speed limits. :rolleyes:

For heaven's sake, instead of procrastinating about young drivers not sticking to speed limits, lets have a constructive suggestion. And yes, this is a subject close to my heart as I work for one of the emergency services and we are sick of picking up the pieces. .....

What is the alternative?

To be honest I don't wear the arguement that "accidents keep on happening" and then people complain when there is action. ***** .

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Guest iancjc
To be honest I don't wear the arguement that "accidents keep on happening" and then people complain when there is action. ***** .

reducing limits and not enforcing the new lower limit does what for safety?

Camera's everywhere and not a single traffic copper seen by me in 1500 miles of driving over the past 8 days. Lots of poor driving and no chance of enforcing the law because there are ***** all police on the roads.

. ....

What is the alternative? . ......

A man and a red flag then.

Speed on its own kills doesn't it? :huh: . .. that's what we keep getting told by those that supposedly rule us, so let reduce all limits to a walking pace. Someone would still die though cos they'd not looked etc

I sped yesterday morning on my way to work & I'm still here, infact I think I sped on my way home too & there were no accidents. I don't speed along the main road near home at 9 in the morning and 3:30 where the school is though. I've been behind many 'emergency service vehicles' at speeds above the limit - NO blue light. We now have a limit around our town's by-pass of 30, it used to be 40 until they errected the two speed cameras - no connection we're told - and nobody, police included, take a blind bit of notice, apart from where the lines are beyond the cameras. :unsure:

While we have different limits for different types of vehicles on the same roads, people will want to overtake, & usually the safe option is to ignore the limit till you've completed the manouvre, the way it stands at the moment, the sensible/obvious option is ilegal & will earn you 3 point & a fine.

Until 40 years ago these roads had NO limits at all, that why some of the older member will remember the nation speed limit as derestricted roads ie no limit, admittedly there weren't that many very fast cars around

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

If it saves lives it's ok by me. We have far too many young people killed on the road at the moment."

A lower speed limit won't stop young folk speeding and showing off to their mates in a car.

And isn't it the case that more folk are killed in their own homes than in road accidents? I don't think 3,000 deaths in a country with our population is by any means a large number. Distressing for the families involved, yes, but not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

The biggest thing is to enforce the speed limits we already have rather than reduce these still further.

If average speed camera's are installed, these will do more for that than any additional policemen. I have no problem driving within the speed limits but am amazed at just how many people completely disregard them. I am not talking about boy racers only, either. Many are (dare i say?) Women! Mind you, I drive a lot during the day and not at rush hour so this may have an influence. :rolleyes:

I agree that bad driving is what kills rather than speed itself but speed can make a possibly correctable error into a fatal one. I am not going to take the risk.

Again though, I have to agree that we all speed at some point and on a regular basis. It is only education that will stop this and education cannot on it's own. It has to be enforced - sorry :blink: I recently got caught at 37 in a 30 and ended up on one of these courses to save the points - thought it was a bit of a waste of time BUT I do now check my speed more regulaly so maybe not all wasted.

Off me soapbox now.

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I have to do mandatory top up training every year to remain an accountant.

But I don't have to have any refresher training after passing my driving test - despite driving a 2-tonne lump of metal at 70mph.

This doesn't make sense - and explains why people get into terrible habits - using phones, tailgating, not looking properly etc.

I think that we've got our priorities all wrong. We used to have some of the safest roads in the world, then we got obsessed with speed as the only factor worth majoring on. And we end up here - rather than training and improving the standard of our driving we use a blunt instrument to simply cut the speed.

The outcomes are predictable. We'll continue to have accidents due to the normal causes (unattention, not looking properly), and maybe fewer car drivers will die (because of the reduced speeds) but the roads will continue to get more and more dangerous for the vulnerable users - cyclists and motorcyclists.

I think everyone should have 2-3 hours of top-up training every 2 years. Minimum.

We also need to do something serious about unlicenced drivers and cars not registered to a proper address.

Its reckoned that more than 5% of cars are now driven uninsured, and the figure is rising. Its not hard to understand why. If you already have a criminal record, why bother getting insurance? Any fine is much less than the cost of a policy - if you get caught, if you get sentenced, if you get found guilty.