Electric Shock From Caravan Leg?

Curtisden

New 2008 Abbey Spectrum 215 picked up in September 08 brought home and just stored behind the house. So as i was sorting it out for the first foray to places north i was rather shocked (Sorry for the pun) to get a real tingle from the leg. (down) I keep the caravan on mains 27/7 and charger on as well as recomended in the instructions. But thinking it may be static i unplugged the van and no tingle. Thinking it may be the Shed Plug plugged it into the house mains and same tingle. So " Thats another fine mess you have given me Abbey" :blink: Dident do my heart condition any good either. Funny when you get a shock you go and touch it again?

Deal call monday.

Kind regards Peter and Rosalind.  Remember 

"One hand for you and one for the ship".  https://www. flickr. com/photos/curtisden/

It could be a problem with the earth of the incoming main electricity supply.

If you have a volt meter, you could try measuring the voltage between the caravan and the house earth.

It may be worth buying a 13amp plug-type polarity tester to test your house and the caravan. They're a useful addition to a caravanners toolbox to check site electrics.

You may need to have the house electrics checked as well as the caravan - a job for an electrician, I'd strongly suggest.

You may be approaching this the from the wrong direction.

You say you pluged the shed in, and got a tingle. This may mean the fault is in the shed wiring, and the caravan is earthed, so you got a shock not FROM the caravan but TO the caravan earth. Electricity does not sink instantly into the ground, but spreads out, dissipating slowly over an area, (Bit like a bucket of water thrown on the ground) If you are standing on this "live" ground and touch an "earthed" point (caravan) you will get a shock.

GET IT CHECKED FAST !!!! this is potentially VERY DANGEROUS !!!

Dave

Dave Baxter

Powerwheel fitter

fitorfix caravan movers

Small update :o

I turned off the Charger in the caravan and no tingle?

"One hand for you and one for the ship".  https://www. flickr. com/photos/curtisden/

This will be an equipotential bonding problem, most likely. In my first house I installed a washing machine in the kitchen and got a rather large tingle. Measured 60+ volts between the washing machine casing and the sink, but microamps if any. ... The sink was at one 'earth' potential via the plumbing and the washer at another via the mains wiring. When I installed proper earth bonding (as I re-wired the house) the two potentials became the same and no more tingle.

Is the earth wire of the mains lead (and any adapters used) actually continuous as if it were broken then the caravan chassis would 'float' up to a certain potential which would then pass through your body when you touch the chassis (steady leg).

A polarity tester will usually indicate a faulty earth as well as a live - neutral cross.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Checked with my tester and the temp line I use to connect the van to a Shed is only positive and negative no earth which may explain what is wrong.

New cable tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

:) :) :)

The lack of earth in your connection cable may explain it partially - but it doesn't explain why you have any potential on the caravan earth circuit - further investigation is necessary - CAREFULLY, please.