Sites Near Carcasonne

Just wondered if anybody had any recommendations for sites near Carcasonne. We are looking for an overnight site between Toulouse and Narbonne, but don't really want to end up in the busy coastal sites near Narbonne.

Just wondered if anybody had any recommendations for sites near Carcasonne. We are looking for an overnight site between Toulouse and Narbonne, but don't really want to end up in the busy coastal sites near Narbonne.

Many years ago we stayed here

http://www. uk. camping-carcassonne. info/Def. ..x?culture=en-GB

You can walked up to the old walled citty from the campsite.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Many years ago we stayed here

http://www. uk. camping-carcassonne. info/Def. ..x?culture=en-GB

You can walked up to the old walled citty from the campsite.

David

It is within short walk of the old city however it is a very busy and high occupancy site lots and lots of pitches very commercial compared to the normal French laid backness, queues, forms and computer tills etc. etc. not overtly friendly.

I remember a circus on site last time we called in! we drove on and found somewhere else to the west of Carcassone where there are several quieter locations. However if you are visiting the old city then Klyne's recommendation is going to save you the parking fee and it would be nice to walk up there in the evening and eat in the old town.

We have driven past Carcassonne and seen the La Cite campsite from the motorway. Made a mental note that it would be a possible stopover for the future, however looking in the Freedom Camping book from the C&CC I see there is a maximum unit lenth of 6m stipulated. So I have a question, is this stipluation enforced as 6m seems rather short in this day and age?

Cheers

John.

Should have mentioned that we stayed here :-

http://www. laroyale. net/index. htm

May not be what you are looking for as it is quite remote about 10 miles north of Carcassonne on the plateau of the Montagne Noir. However it is intimate and very peaceful with splendid views, if a trifle breezy at times.

When we stayed in 2006 the English owner cooked some fabulous meals in the restaurant. Have you ever stayed on a campsite where a chef has knocked on your caravan door to see how you would like a mini leg of lamb cooking? He did need a days notice though for some of the menu dishes as he shopped locally for his ingredients.

Take a look anyway.

Cheers

John.

We too have stayed at http://www. laroyale. net/index. htm for several nights and I will second what John has said. What I will add though, is if you have a twin axle van, there are not too many places where you can level it easily

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

we are staying here for our holidays this year

VILLAGE DOMAINE D’ARNAUTEILLE

It looks quite a nice place -- and overlooks Caracasonn -- we haven't been before

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We stayed at la cite last June and had no problems with our 7m van. It was an easy walk up to the old town, the site wasn't busy in June and we had a great view of the lit up old town from our pitch. It accepts freedom cheques too.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!