Had My First Atc 'tug' Today!

ashtons99

We had a night over at Grange Park, Scunthorpe last night. On the way home on one of my local routes and one of the less well maintained surfaces I experienced the ATC tug effect for the first time.

Very strange sensation of inertia with the car trying to drive and the van doing its best to momentarily stall forward movement. I can only liken it to horizontal parachuting when the canopy opens!

Anyway, I just thought I would share it with you

hi

never heard of the Atc tug effect could you tell me what Atc stands for.

many thanks

Have a look at this site Tessa.

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/alko-Trailer. htm

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Very strange sensation of inertia with the car trying to drive and the van doing its best to momentarily stall forward movement. I can only liken it to horizontal parachuting when the canopy opens!
I have ATC fitted to our caravan and have never felt anything as you describe. It sounds to me as if the system is operating the brakes (as it should) to compensate for an unstable outfit.

Check and double check the weight distribution in your caravan, ensure you have the correct noseweight, tyres are at the right pressure, and the towcar is appropriate and in good condition.

Having done this; if the same effect is experienced then you may have a faulty ATC so I suggest that you may like to contact AL-KO Kober Ltd.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi,

I did experience this once when in a severe crosswind and the caravan brake did momentarily activate, or at least it appeared to,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Gordon.

Ashton's tug effect has happened to me twice. Once on a poorly maintained road where the caravan was being "thrown" from side to side and the second time on an acute railway crossing and again the caravan was "thrown" from side to side. The Al-Ko sensor is merely picking up the movement of the caravan and in my opinion acting accordingly.

Don't see anything to worry about, rather the opposite it shows the system is functioning correctly.

Cheers

John.

Yes john thats as I interpreted it, the van went over a significant depression in the road and a change in camber which no doubt was sufficient for the unit to sense a momentary loss of stability. Quite reassuring really, as you say, at least i know its working.

Once on a poorly maintained road where the caravan was being "thrown" from side to side and the second time on an acute railway crossing and again the caravan was "thrown" from side to side. The Al-Ko sensor is merely picking up the movement of the caravan and in my opinion acting accordingly.
Hi John,

Given that extra information, I tend to agree with you.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Had this a couple of times when coming out of roundabouts a bit too quickly! Oooooops!

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

how does one equate with --

I can only liken it to horizontal parachuting when the canopy opens!

never having had the pleasure of the sensation -- I quite look forward to a "tug"

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club