Santa Fe 2008

ChrisUK

The Caravan Club were not very favorably disposed to the Santa fe in their comments, but on the forum they seem to always get good reviews. They said

"There is a proliferation of foot-operated parking brakes these days and I have nothing against them in principle; but the Santa Fe’s simply wouldn’t hold car and caravan on our 17% hill. That, coupled with a harsh ride, low load capacity and mixed views on high-speed stability, did not endear this car to the judges."

"The Hyundai controlled its caravan well enough in strong crosswinds but the ride wasn’t comfortable. Five-speed manual transmission has a nice enough action, which is just as well as it needs plenty of use. The Santa Fe struggled up our long 14% gradient and, although it managed to restart on the tough 17% hill, the handbrake just wouldn’t hold."

Any comments from Santa fe users (latest model - auto)

It seems that every time I narrow my choice down one or two cars something kicks me in the teeth.

They were towing 1609 kg as opposed to my van at 1380kg.

Chris

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Chris - I found the Santa Fe slightly soft and wallowy when I test drove it, the opposite of "harsh ride" and I don't have any problem with it's load capacity. Like the CC, I don't like foot-operated parking brakes, but few of us could comment on their holding ability on a 1:6 hill - in any case the automatic you're considering has a transmission brake (Park) as well as the foot-operated handbrake.

Before I discovered the brilliant solo handling of my Subaru, the Santa Fe was top of my list - my observation is that Santa Fe owners are all pleased with their selection.

Thanks

I must admit that last time we changed our car I said if Subaru did a diesel I would go for one as they seem so good, however, we changed our van last year and our Mazda is now towing at 90% and an Outback would still only be 89%, no real improvement. The self levelling suspension, raised ground clearance and 4x4 would help though (Mazda 6 like most FWD is useless on wet grass). I did look up the nearest Subaru dealer only to find them not open on a Sunday!

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Hi Chris,

I would tend to take road tests with a pinch of salt. In my opinion, and it is backed up by a well known motoring journalist who is not a great fan of caravans :D, that a lot of testers are swayed by the way they are treated by various car companies. For example the Mercedes A class was mentioned as a superb handling car by a few journalists then it fell over when carrying out the 'Elk Test', oops red faces all round :D .

I would always go on a test drive and make up my own mind,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I had the original shape auto and changed it last year for an 06 new shape - also auto. no complaints from me on the ride or towing results. not sure I particularly like the foot parking brake but I love the 5 year warranty.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

. ... in any case the automatic you're considering has a transmission brake (Park) . .......

Not really best practice to hold the weight of car (& 'van) in Park on the gearbox it's just a pin/peg that engages across gears inside. That said . ... parking on steep-ish hills is one of the few times I do use the handbrake on my auto. ;);)

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 8 2009, 12:16 PM) 236704[/snapback]
Not really best practice to hold the weight of car (& 'van) in Park on the gearbox it's just a pin/peg that engages across gears inside. That said . ... parking on steep-ish hills is one of the few times I do use the handbrake on my auto. ;);)

I take your point Andy - but I would never stop on a 1:6 hill except in emergency, let alone park on one!

Having driven for decades with manuals, before switching to automatics, I still apply the handbrake as well as putting the transmission in Park - it helps to keep the handrake working for MoT test time!

Hi Chris

I dont have the auto but I am very pleased with My 08 Santa Fe 2. 2 cdx towing and solo.

Tommy G

Edited by TommyG

VW Tiguan 140 Manual Sterling Europa 470 Fixed Bed 06