Gas Ignition Problem On Fridge

Mikeatshoebury

This problem started last September(2008) but I put off sorting it out until now!

When I try to light the gas for the fridge, I switch on the electric ignitor button, and turn on the gas control from 'off'(a dot) to 'on'(little picture of a flame), and press it in like a button. The fridge thermo is set to around 3 or 4 out of 6!

After a few clicks I get a little blue flame in the window at the bottom of the fridge. However, no matter how long I hold the button in, when I release it the flame goes out!

Any ideas what the problem can be. The fridge is an original fitting in a 1997 Elddis Cyclone EX300.

This problem started last September(2008) but I put off sorting it out until now!

When I try to light the gas for the fridge, I switch on the electric ignitor button, and turn on the gas control from 'off'(a dot) to 'on'(little picture of a flame), and press it in like a button. The fridge thermo is set to around 3 or 4 out of 6!

After a few clicks I get a little blue flame in the window at the bottom of the fridge. However, no matter how long I hold the button in, when I release it the flame goes out!

Any ideas what the problem can be. The fridge is an original fitting in a 1997 Elddis Cyclone EX300.

Hi Mike

I think you will find it is the "flame failure device" what it does is cut off the gas if the flame is blown out.

In your case it has failed, I do beleive they can be repaired,by fitting a new part,talk to your caravan dealer

or if you are confident, to do it yourself it is Gas !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi Mike, before going to the dealer try pulling off the control knob push the spindle in then try lighting the fridge whilst holding in the spindle, if it stays lit on release of the spindle then your thermocouple is fine, you then need to pack out the control knob before refitting, if this doesn't work then you need a technician.

Skegness 'The Sunnier Side of Britain'

Hi Mike, before going to the dealer try pulling off the control knob push the spindle in then try lighting the fridge whilst holding in the spindle, if it stays lit on release of the spindle then your thermocouple is fine, you then need to pack out the control knob before refitting, if this doesn't work then you need a technician.

Well I just got round to trying this out and it worked OK!

I've put the knob back on, but not so far and it seems to work every time now!

I don't really understand the failure mechanism, and when I mentioned this to the wife, she says she doesn't care as long as it works! Executive versus Geek again I suppose!!

Thanks Metz!!