Rac Arrival V Mayday

sprite

I have breakdown cover via MAYDAY which has been good (but never needed whilst towing) which is, £62, I think (Comprehensive cover)

BUT, I have never seen RAC arrival prices listed anywhere. .......How much does it cost for say Roadside, recovery ?

Hello Sprite

I've just had my renewal for RAC Arrival through the C&CC (all facilities including "At Home") - I've been paying it for years and I can't remember the last time I claimed, but they've just put it up to £140. This is supposed to include a no claims discount and special terms agreed with the C&CC.

I now think that they are taking the proverbial!!

I intend to cancel and go for the CC Green Flag which is £62 for comprehensive and £89 for premium - not sure which one yet.

PS - I've just checked the RAC Arrival website and its quoting £119. 85 for what I've been quoted (with no claims) as £140. They are really having a laugh!!

http://www. rac. co. uk/web/uk-breakdown/?aff. ..al&link=top

Edited by X-Bob

Having used the double journey provision of £69 Mayday (aka Green Flag) after an accident (the others only cover breakdowns) which would have otherwise cost over £1,000 as we were nearly 400 miles from home - I don't even consider the rest, too many exclusions even if the price is competitive.

I've just changed to Green Flag Premium UK when I realised that my current cover will tow the caravan home, but won't cover the caravan if there's a problem with it and the car is okay. That cost me £89 - well spent, I think, for peace of mind.

I hope you mean mayday premium which will always tow your caravan home, Green flag in their own products do not make such a promise. You have to specifically ask for the mayday products to be able to get them.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Having used the double journey provision of £69 Mayday (aka Green Flag) after an accident (the others only cover breakdowns) which would have otherwise cost over £1,000 as we were nearly 400 miles from home - I don't even consider the rest, too many exclusions even if the price is competitive.

. ..That's just it, MAYDAY appears to better equipped AND cheaper!!!!

I've just changed to Green Flag Premium UK when I realised that my current cover will tow the caravan home, but won't cover the caravan if there's a problem with it and the car is okay. That cost me £89 - well spent, I think, for peace of mind.

I have Mayday and pay a premium because I have comprehensive personal cover rather than vehicle cover for both me and the wife and it covers either of us in any vehicle, whether ours or not, and towing any trailer. Broke an axle on a boat trailer last year and was a passenger in a friends car and had first class recovery.

I was surprised how many recovery companies would not entertain trailers if the tow vehicle was OK. You have to be very specific when you query the companies and not just ask 'do you cover caravans' because you will always get an answer of yes.

Bill

Does Mayday provide European breakdown cover for a 7 metre caravan, If so how much does it cost?

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Hello Sprite

I've just had my renewal for RAC Arrival through the C&CC (all facilities including "At Home") - I've been paying it for years and I can't remember the last time I claimed, but they've just put it up to £140. This is supposed to include a no claims discount and special terms agreed with the C&CC.

I now think that they are taking the proverbial!!

I intend to cancel and go for the CC Green Flag which is £62 for comprehensive and £89 for premium - not sure which one yet.

PS - I've just checked the RAC Arrival website and its quoting £119. 85 for what I've been quoted (with no claims) as £140. They are really having a laugh!!

http://www. rac. co. uk/web/uk-breakdown/?aff. ..al&link=top

Hi X-Bob

I had the same thing with RAC they phoned me and asked why I didn't renew ( after 2 weeks). When I told them they were taking the micky the price came down significantly for the same cover.

Give them a call.

Edited by sean c

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw

Does Mayday provide European breakdown cover for a 7 metre caravan, If so how much does it cost?

Steve W

As far as i know you would need to take out something like red pennant to get European cover on the caravan

Thanks Bill and Bill for your clarification. Yes, I've checked and it is Mayday - I thought it would be as I took it through the CC website.

Have to check my cards that have come though - the letter says I have Premium UK cover. The cards say Comprehensive with extras - that doesn't give quite so much!

I'd rather get it checked than find myself with a problem that can't be dealt with!

My cards say the same thing - Comprehensive; Home Call; Extra Care

Steve W

Mayday provides purely UK cover, for cover abroad you need a different product and the CC sell their Red pennant insurance which though excellent is quite expensive.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Hi X-Bob

I had the same thing with RAC they phoned me and asked why I didn't renew ( after 2 weeks). When I told them they were taking the micky the price came down significantly for the same cover.

Give them a call.

Thanks Sean. I have played this game with them now for about 4 years. Each year they put it up - I phone them and complain and they drop it back to what it was the previous year - £89.

I'm just fed up of them trying it on every year - it just seems to be so dishonest. Looking closely at the Mayday Premium, it looks like better cover for the same as I was paying to the RAC anyway.

I agree, this is not how I like to do business. It's the same with insurance companies. I was with Tesco for two years before they sent their renewal notice with a large price hike. I shopped around and got a much cheaper policy. I contacted Tesco who said. ..'let us see if we can get it cheaper'

'why didn't you do that to begin with?', I said.

They couldn't answer that. I didn't stay with them