X Trail 2007 On

ChrisUK

We are in our last throws of replacing our tow car, and the 07 on X trail looks good. But, searching the forum, it does seem that there were problems with the old engine.

Fixed by the new one?

Anyone towed with the 150 or 173 bhp versions?

Spare wheel, we were told by the dealer that it had a full sized spare, but I did not check; but on this forum I noted "Nissan with the latest model X Trail supply a full size emergency spare not to be used for towing according to the handbook "

Looking arround it seems that only Hyundai and Kai do full sized alloy spares. Freelander is odd, full sized steel spare but limited to 50mph!

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I have the 173 model.

I do worry about the spare and have gone to the expense of purchasing a spare wheel from a scrap dealer for £170. The wheels are an awkward size, 17 inch x 6. 5j, most in this country are 17 inch x 7. This makes it quite difficult to source tyres, normally next day delivery but look out for weekends and especially Bank Holidays. I tow down through France and into Spain so do not want to have a puncture/blow out that takes 3 or 4 days out of my holiday. So I thought it a worthwhile expense, albeit very annoying. Nissan prices for a full size alloy spare is over £700 - steel wheels seem to be unobtainable.

Towing wise I find the X-trail very good (I had an 04 as well) but I do wonder if the 150 might be more suited to towing. The 173 only comes into its own at higher speeds.

Reliability wise, no problems at all, as yet. But I've only got 12,000 on the clock so a bit early to tell.

Check out the C. C. website with a search on X-Trail to get an experts view. From memory there is very little bad said about it

Scales

We are in our last throws of replacing our tow car, and the 07 on X trail looks good. But, searching the forum, it does seem that there were problems with the old engine.

Fixed by the new one?

Spare wheel, we were told by the dealer that it had a full sized spare, but I did not check; but on this forum I noted "Nissan with the latest model X Trail supply a full size emergency spare not to be used for towing according to the handbook "

Looking arround it seems that only Hyundai and Kai do full sized alloy spares. Freelander is odd, full sized steel spare but limited to 50mph!

I would not worry about the spare wheel issue - how often do you get a puncture? The spare wheel provided will get you out of trouble, if for example you were causing an obstruction the police or vosa will only be concerned about you becoming mobile again in the shortest possible time. If the wheel had wooden spokes this would not be a concern!

I am currently towing with the 150 BHP model as can be seen below, and am very pleased - I bought new, and the vehicle has not missed a beat, The MPG whilst towing is 32 MPG and solo is achieving 44 MPG which I am very pleased with. The car generaly has a very french feel about it, and is very smooth and enjoyable to drive.

CPDavis Fordingbridge

Thanks you all. Does a full sized spare fit in the area for the space saver? This lack of a full sized spare got to me on my Mazda 6 after I had a puncture on the M25, the full sized spare did infact fit perfectly, obviously designed for one. We holiday alot in remote areas (Scotish Islands, Pyrenees etc) away from Quickfit etc

I note the peak torque rpm for the 150 / 173 is the same, the peak power rpm is actually less for the 173.

Edited by ChrisUK

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

I would not worry about the spare wheel issue - how often do you get a puncture?

How about last week,a bolt straight through the tread <_< Not an XTrail but a Rav, I fancied an XTR version at first but when I realised there was no spare at all just a can of gunk I bought an XT4 instead which has the full sized alloy spare. The peace of mind a "proper" spare gives you over the modern trend of spacesavers, run flats or puncture repair fluids when you tow far outweighs the negatives. All of them have reduced driving ratings compared to the OE wheels and god knows how much further that should be reduced towing a decent weight caravan.

Thanks you all. Does a full sized spare fit in the area for the space saver? This lack of a full sized spare got to me on my Mazda 6 after I had a puncture on the M25, the full sized spare did infact fit perfectly, obviously designed for one. We holiday alot in remote areas (Scotish Islands, Pyrenees etc) away from Quickfit etc

I note the peak torque rpm for the 150 / 173 is the same, the peak power rpm is actually less for the 173.

The wheel well area is the the same size regardless of spare wheel/tyre type.

I think there is some confusion regarding space saver wheels. On a Porshe for example they look highly amusing and very silly. The spare wheel provided with the 07 X-trail on is a full size wheel & tyre with limitations I would totally ignore in the case of the very, very rare instance of getting a puncture.

The inclusion of this wheel/tyre instead of a 'normal' one is a blatant issue of cost cutting by Nissan and the only cause of annoyance on this otherwise brilliant vehicle.

There is absolutely no chance of me searching through a scrapyard to obtain a S/H wheel.

Regards, C Davis

CPDavis Fordingbridge

Was A good buy on e bay today x trail new 17" wheel @ tyre for £85

• 2 weeks later...

I got one from a scrapyard(Easy Jap Parts) by Googling and it came by courier

It was off a previous model XT Columbia and had an excellent identical tyre to the current model

The spoke pattern is different in appearance but dimensions are identical and it does fit easily into the spare wheel well

It cost £188 inc delivery

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I would not worry about the spare wheel issue - how often do you get a puncture? The spare wheel provided will get you out of trouble, if for example you were causing an obstruction the police or vosa will only be concerned about you becoming mobile again in the shortest possible time. If the wheel had wooden spokes this would not be a concern!

I am currently towing with the 150 BHP model as can be seen below, and am very pleased - I bought new, and the vehicle has not missed a beat, The MPG whilst towing is 32 MPG and solo is achieving 44 MPG which I am very pleased with. The car generaly has a very french feel about it, and is very smooth and enjoyable to drive.

I know of a person who lost 3 days of his holiday because of no proper spare tyre

Also an AA repair man friend tells of being unable to help when tyres have been damaged

I once had a puncture on M6 and the tyre was useless when I stopped

We needed the van spare to get back from Spain and as the size used by Nissan is unusual a replacement tyre can take days to get

I feel much better with the proper tackle

I know of a person who lost 3 days of his holiday because of no proper spare tyre

Also an AA repair man friend tells of being unable to help when tyres have been damaged

I once had a puncture on M6 and the tyre was useless when I stopped

We needed the van spare to get back from Spain and as the size used by Nissan is unusual a replacement tyre can take days to get

I feel much better with the proper tackle

Just as a point of interest, how would you deal with a second puncture during the same incident, should you buy a second, or even a third dodgy, odd spare wheel from a scrapyard as a precaution? Just a thought :unsure: Regards, C Davis

CPDavis Fordingbridge

Just as a point of interest, how would you deal with a second puncture during the same incident, should you buy a second, or even a third dodgy, odd spare wheel from a scrapyard as a precaution? Just a thought :unsure: Regards, C Davis

I would probably sit down and cry :angry: and then call vehicle recovery RAC

I have only done this once in nearly 50 years motoring and that was last year when the caravan wheel came off and disappeared and what did they do---they fitted the caravan spare wheel and we continued on our journey ;)

Its not long since people were complaining that caravans came without spare wheels--now they often come without a jack

I wouldn't buy a first dodgy wheel as that would be pointless (the one I got was as new) and I don't carry the original "not to be used for towing" pointless original just in case I puncture twice or even once when towing

I've never punctured twice---yet but I have punctured once more than once and I've seen lots of cars with emergengy smaller spares fitted

I'm amazed that people have accepted the latest no spare/emergency cost saving ploy by many manufacturers

and having had 3 XTs old model all with full size spare I find it totally illogical to supply the new model with a full size not to be used for towing "odd"spare that saves no space or weight

Nissan didn't even have a 17in steel rim available when I got my car 16 months ago and it is possible to buy 4 17in alloys with tyres for less than Nissan want for one alloy wheel

That doesn't seem like looking after the customer

Regards etc :D

Just as an aside

Years ago I suffered a tyre blow out on my bike which of course doesn't have a spsre wheel but did have a spare innertube

It was on a Bank Holiday Monday and I was cycling on a training ride from Cambridge to Stoke on Trent on a beautiful summers day

I had to stay overnight in an expensive hotel in Coleshill until the cycle shop opened the next day ony to find that they had the Tuesday off as well

Having fitted the spare innertube and bound up the outer casing with insulating tape I was able to continue minus braking on that wheel until several miles later I found an open shop that had one 27in tyre

It was the wrong width and fitted,felt like a tractor tyre but I was glad of it to get me 50+ miles home

I always remember that when we cross the motorway near to Coleshill :blush:

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Can't comment on the new x-trail, but the engine problems on the old one certainly put me off.

My Accord does not have a spare at all, just the repair can. From my experience only VAG Group cars seem to have full sized spares.

Just over a fortnight ago, I had 2 punctures in a week. A nail in the first one, and a 1/2 bolt in the second.

Andrew

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

Can't comment on the new x-trail, but the engine problems on the old one certainly put me off.

My Accord does not have a spare at all, just the repair can. From my experience only VAG Group cars seem to have full sized spares.

Just over a fortnight ago, I had 2 punctures in a week. A nail in the first one, and a 1/2 bolt in the second.

Andrew

My neighbours Civic had no spare wheel at all and it caused him a lot of concern as he frequently goes from Stoke on Trent to his in laws in Norfolk

Coming back at the weekend along some quite stretches of road was a concern to him

He even tried my X Trail emergency spare and it fitted but as the tyre was too big he opted to buy a second hand emergency wheel

Andrew

The new XT sems better

If you look on Honest John apart from me whinging about no proper spare the only problem has been a faulty Cd player :lol:

Fixed by the new one?

If you do look at the Freelander the spare wheel is odd and odd sized.

If you have the base "S" Model, No spare just a can of jollop and a compressor.

The othe models depending which model you have has 17, 18 or 19 inch wheels but the spare will be more than likely a 17 inch steel you may be lucky and get an 18 inch but there are no towing issues with the spare.

Like others have mentioned I have only needed to change a wheel once in the last ten years but when you need it you are glad you have it.

I have a Rav4 XTR and got a puncture. The tyre sidewall was slashed. Presume this must have been done whilst driving along.

Club Toyota breakdown is the top of the range RAC Membership, along came RAC and took the wheel away and returned with a new tyre. I paid for the tyre but everything else was covered by Club Toyota cover.

Brian

I have a Rav4 XTR and got a puncture. The tyre sidewall was slashed. Presume this must have been done whilst driving along.

Club Toyota breakdown is the top of the range RAC Membership, along came RAC and took the wheel away and returned with a new tyre. I paid for the tyre but everything else was covered by Club Toyota cover.

Brian

That's very good service but what if it had happened when tyre dealers were shut at the weekend or Bank Holiday or if you were going for a ferry?

When I needed new tyres on the XT it took the dealer days(7) to get them and nobody would want to pay for a tyre that didn't match the car spec and then have to pay again for the correct spec if you follow etc

Most 17 in wheels seem to be 7J but Nissan use 61/2 J

VW (VAG group) Touran doesn't have a spare, just a compressor and gunk spraycan.

Formally 'MagentaMan'... with Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 5 seat Auto 2011/Lunar 530 2013 with mover.

VW (VAG group) Touran doesn't have a spare, just a compressor and gunk spraycan.

Audi are the same

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 23 2009, 12:53 AM) 240958[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Audi are part of the same Volkswagon Audi Group! ;););)

Really!! :D

I did write a lot more but couldn't get the wording right at the late hour

But the person who lost 3 days of his holiday was an Audi owner

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

That's very good service but what if it had happened when tyre dealers were shut at the weekend or Bank Holiday or if you were going for a ferry?

When I needed new tyres on the XT it took the dealer days(7) to get them and nobody would want to pay for a tyre that didn't match the car spec and then have to pay again for the correct spec if you follow etc

Most 17 in wheels seem to be 7J but Nissan use 61/2 J

In my case the RAC phoned round to ensure the tyre retailer had the identical tyre and it was on a Sunday and several tyre retailers were open.

What would happen if you get two punctures even if you have a spare?

I also carry a can of the Holts aerosol tyre inflater as the Toyota stuff involves valve removal.

I am now used to not having a spare and don't worry about it.

There does seem to be lots of cars without spares, recently a friend bought a BMW 1 series and that has no spare.

I note VAG appear not to have spares either.

Brian

. ....

What would happen if you get two punctures even if you have a spare? . .....

Don't bother with th e lottery that week ;), you'd have to be really really unlucky.

In my 30 years of driving I had 3 tyres on the car that have blown to the point of being scrap and 1 caravan tyre. Certainly 2 of the car's were my fault, ignoring a screw in one and clipping a kerb.

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

In my case the RAC phoned round to ensure the tyre retailer had the identical tyre and it was on a Sunday and several tyre retailers were open.

What would happen if you get two punctures even if you have a spare?

I also carry a can of the Holts aerosol tyre inflater as the Toyota stuff involves valve removal.

I am now used to not having a spare and don't worry about it.

There does seem to be lots of cars without spares, recently a friend bought a BMW 1 series and that has no spare.

I note VAG appear not to have spares either.

Brian

That's excelent service

I had apuncture the Saturday before gong to France and had to tour Stoke on Trent at 4pm to find a tyre depot open that could repair it

One was even open but no air line ;)

But when I needed new tyres on the last XT it took the tyre dealer several days to get the exact Dunlop tyre in the correct size

I got one within 24 hrs from Frank Bathers in Birkenhead

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450