70+ Licence. Result.

Hi,

I got my licence back yesterday. Yay! I’ve still got my B+E. Also still got my moped, agricultural tractor, mowing machines and pedestrian controlled vehicles, and Group N. Note that not all mowing machines are pedestrian controlled.

In the envelope was an interesting little booklet called INS57PW. I assume the W indicates it’s the Welsh version.

I see they have rephrased things. It now specifically says that a B+E can pull trailers OVER 750kg.

Group N used to cover vehicle registered as Section 7 exempt (less than 7 miles per week = no tax disc, no MOT. In this booklet they say Group N = Vehicles used for short distances on public roads. I find that description worryingly vague.

It also says that those who passed their car test before February 2001 DO NOT need to take training before riding a moped, but this is advisable. Great, cos I didn’t know if I could ride a moped without a CBT, despite having it on my licence.

I notice that they have NOT given me group B1 (Trikes and Quads) and I am not happy that they are included in group B. A trike is not a Motor Car) I will ask.

In the naughty pages, it says that Penalty Code CU30 is for using a vehicle with defective tyres. Note the plural. So does 4 bald tyres earn you one endorsement, or four?

Disqualification in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man also counts in UK. NI penalty points can be added to a UK licence.

There was a paragraph about Freedom of Information.

How long do points stay on your licence?

Hi

If you’re convicted of a motoring offence, the courts can fine you and endorse your driving licence with penalty points. Endorsements must stay on your driving licence for four or eleven years depending on the offence.

http://www. direct. gov. uk/en/Motoring/Drive. ..ions/DG_4022550

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi

If you’re convicted of a motoring offence, the courts can fine you and endorse your driving licence with penalty points. Endorsements must stay on your driving licence for four or eleven years depending on the offence.

http://www. direct. gov. uk/en/Motoring/Drive. ..ions/DG_4022550

Radiotwo

Although they stay on your license for this period of time they are only active for a three year period when totting up.

Although they stay on your license for this period of time they are only active for a three year period when totting up.

And insurers still want to know about them up to 5 years - confusing isn't it?

I don't bother having old endorsements taken off, because it costs money - I've got one from 1974 still on it!

And insurers still want to know about them up to 5 years - confusing isn't it?

I don't bother having old endorsements taken off, because it costs money - I've got one from 1974 still on it!

Hi

It didn't used to cost if you got a free exchange licence, like change of address. And you changing to photocard should have wiped them off.

Or have they changed the system?

If you got a free licence on change of address, old endorsements were still shown, even if out of date.

Me changing to photocard? Not yet, not until my old green paper one expires - I've got four years to go yet!

If you got a free licence on change of address, old endorsements were still shown, even if out of date.

Me changing to photocard? Not yet, not until my old green paper one expires - I've got four years to go yet!

Hi Roger,

Exchange licences are free, once you are over 70. But I don't know if that includes your FIRST photocard. Or if you apply in the three months before you turn 70. You only need to renew your photocard once after you are 70.

Guest Surfer

I got a SP30 in December 2005 while towing the caravan. I was supposed to have been doing 36mph in a 30 mph zone which was jusst after I entered the road. Still don't think I was speeding but to get the photos would have cost and addiotnal amount of money.

I see they have rephrased things. It now specifically says that a B+E can pull trailers OVER 750kg

it says that Penalty Code CU30 is for using a vehicle with defective tyres. Note the plural. So does 4 bald tyres earn you one endorsement, or four?

One for each tyre :( . ........... four illegal tyres = 12 points & loss of licence. ........justifiable in my view

Hi Roger,

Exchange licences are free, once you are over 70. But I don't know if that includes your FIRST photocard. Or if you apply in the three months before you turn 70. You only need to renew your photocard once after you are 70.

It gets very complicated if you have vocational groups. I let my C + E lapse last year (was free annual renewal from age 65 with medical) but my C1 + E expires in May 2010 ( free three yearly renewal with medical). However, my PHOTOcard expires in May this year and will cost £17. 50 and my birthday is in October.

So, I didn't have to renew my licence at 70 because my vocational licence expires after that date but I have to renew the PHOTO card because Gordon needs the cash. Why couldn't I have renewed the photo last time I renewed my vocational licence?

Edited by beejay

If I had my way, I'd renew my green paper licence for another green paper licence when I'm 70 and then get a pan-European licence whenever they're introduced but no doubt HMG's quest for cash will require me to pay for a photo licence at 70 and then pay again for a pan-European licence.

In my case it's simplified as I've lost my C entitlement due to health reasons. As an aside, have you seen the length of the DVLA list of medical conditions which affect your licence group entitlement?