Changing Caravan Wheel

robbo4161

hello,

my name is john. first time posting. Just bought a swift challenger (old one). i am replacing both tyres. After jacking van up I could not get wheel out from van because of the side wall. the wheel was a struggle to get out past the hub. What am I doing wrong?

Peugoet 406 and old but great Swift challenger

Are you jacking under the suspension arm? Modern caravans should be jacked under the axle tube so that the suspension arm droops.

Be wary about your Swift Challenger (old one) - alloy chassis used to be a feature on Swifts and the construction / jacking points may be different to modern caravans with bonded foam floor and steel wishbone chassis.

Are you jacking under the suspension arm? Modern caravans should be jacked under the axle tube so that the suspension arm droops.

Be wary about your Swift Challenger (old one) - alloy chassis used to be a feature on Swifts and the construction / jacking points may be different to modern caravans with bonded foam floor and steel wishbone chassis.

Thanks for your reply. I did jack under the chassis near the crossmember. This is reinforced. Both tyres are cracked,and I have two new ones to go on. I managed to get one wheel off,and the spare. dreading trying to get it back on and swopping the other. the tyres are 175/13 as per handbook. The problem seemed to be getting the wheel past the hub. The suspension arm just seemed to stay in the same position the more i jacked van. should it drop down as there is no suspension as such. ?

The suspension arm just seemed to stay in the same position the more i jacked van. should it drop down as there is no suspension as such. ?

Hi

I would expect the axle to sag. As you were jacking, did the wheel stay on the ground while the body was rising? Or did the wheel lift immediately? If the later, it seems you have problems.

With luck, the other side will not be the same, but you know what you are looking for now.

Probably irrelevent, but I've read that a Triumph Herald handbrake can hold the wheel in an unatural position when the wheel is jacked up. .....or even when you climb out of the car.

I have a similar problem on my kit car where I can't get the wheel off until the suspension has sagged a little so try jacking it up and leaving it for a few minutes with the wheel on to let the suspension sag.

HTH

Ted

Hi, on a lot of old Swifts you need to remove the wheel spat, jack up the van under the axle, (don't forget to chock the other wheel or hook up to car) then bar down the suspesion arm, over a period of time the rubber torsion suspension gets tired and needs a little help lowering to it's full extent.

Skegness 'The Sunnier Side of Britain'

Hi, on a lot of old Swifts you need to remove the wheel spat, jack up the van under the axle, (don't forget to chock the other wheel or hook up to car) then bar down the suspesion arm, over a period of time the rubber torsion suspension gets tired and needs a little help lowering to it's full extent.

Hello everyone and thanks for your replies. I had to take the spats off and let the tyres down to squeeze them past the wall and the hub. It was still very tight. Hope I dont get a punture. !. The hub will go up,but not down below horizontal. prior to me buying the van it was sited for a full year, and I towed it about 5o miles to my place. Perhaps it was stood in one postition for to long and will eventually loosen up when moving again. ? Thanks again for all your help.