Charging A Second Battery In The Tow Car

Curtisden

:rolleyes:

Just a thought. I know there are ? zig units for this but could you put a second battery securely in the boot of a tow car and connect it to the grey plug to trickle charge it as you dive.

Sure there is a very good reason why this is bad but can it be done and work?

Kind regards Peter and Rosalind.  Remember 

"One hand for you and one for the ship".  https://www. flickr. com/photos/curtisden/

Hi there - I would say buy a battery box, preferably a sealed one, secure the battery box to the floor of the boot then take the switched live from the split charge relay and an earth from the split charge relay, put quick release battery terminals on the end and have the wires inside the boot of the car. It all depends on the make and model of the car. The wire will need to be heavy duty.

Or:

As you've suggested take it from the supplementary socket which involves a grey plug and two wires.

Failing that take it to a towbar fitter in your area and they should be able to help.

Hi there - I would say buy a battery box, preferably a sealed one, secure the battery box to the floor of the boot then take the switched live from the split charge relay and an earth from the split charge relay, put quick release battery terminals on the end and have the wires inside the boot of the car. It all depends on the make and model of the car. The wire will need to be heavy duty.

Or:

As you've suggested take it from the supplementary socket which involves a grey plug and two wires.

Failing that take it to a towbar fitter in your area and they should be able to help.

Just like the the first option to charge my spare battery, connecting to the split relay :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I don't agree Tyke65, pottering arround on holiday seems to charge it quiet well, It will depend up on how good / big the wiring is from the engine compartment to the boot (volt drop). My only concern is strapping it down well enough esp. as we have an estate.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017