New S7 Provence

Award1

Collected a new S7 Provence to replace my S5 Provence this afternoon.

First impressions are very good, but when we were hitching up I noticed the weight plates near the door referring to an S6 Provence with weight accordingly lower than the S7 :blink: I mentiond this to Martin, and he toddled off to look at the other Provence due out next week, and this also had S6 data. This will be sorted, but I was surprised.

Got the van home, and started to put the leg lock, feet etc on, and came to fit the jacking plate for the ALko jack, and hey presto, a design fault. They have only put the waste pipe slap bang where the the plate goes :huh: , with no space to slide it under, and the wheel arch liner, also seems to clash on the nearside :unsure: .

Overall, still impressed and it did seem more stable with the ATC when empty, whereas the S5 always felt nervous when empty.

BTW, the ALKo locking plate is there, although I use a traditional wheelclamp.

Andrew

Edited by Award1

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

Collected a new S7 Provence to replace my S5 Provence this afternoon.

First impressions are very good, but when we were hitching up I noticed the weight plates near the door referring to an S6 Provence with weight accordingly lower than the S7 :blink: I mentiond this to Martin, and he toddled off to look at the other Provence due out next week, and this also had S6 data. This will be sorted, but I was surprised.

Got the van home, and started to put the leg lock, feet etc on, and came to fit the jacking plate for the ALko jack, and hey presto, a design fault. They have only put the waste pipe slap bang where the the plate goes :huh: , with no space to slide it under, and the wheel arch liner, also seems to clash on the nearside :unsure: .

Overall, still impressed and it did seem more stable with the ATC when empty, whereas the S5 always felt nervous when empty.

BTW, the ALKo locking plate is there, although I use a traditional wheelclamp.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Have you taken this up with the Dealer, or Bailey, as it would be interesting to know how this came about?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Ian

The dealer knows about it, and I emailed Bailey on Sunday, but have yet not hd a reply from them, as I presume they are checking if the entire batch of Provence's built at the same time, have the same problem.

Andrew

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for message, I'd seen your PM and checked sticker next to door which states MTPLM 1490kg. Did not notice if it had S6 or S7 Provence on. I had a bit of bother fitting offside jacking point bracket because of waste pipes, I fitted the Kojack levelling jack, but managed it in the end, hope I don't have to use it.

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

How can you tell the van was more stable because it had ATC fitted?

Did it kick in when towing normally?

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

How can you tell the van was more stable because it had ATC fitted?

Did it kick in when towing normally?

I have a Swift. . and yes -- when I first had the ATC fitted at Alko factory and towed it up absolutely empty - no nothing{gas botts -water containers etc etc} - in it - I did think that I should have put "something in" to stop the "movement" --

On the way home -- exactly the same van - but now with the ATC -- I was surprised at the different "feel" couldn't put a finger on it -- but it towed - just like normal and no " bounce"

Not a good technical explanation -- but I did feel that it was the ATC that had made it feel that way. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Guest iancjc
Overall, still impressed

I'd be bloody livid - wrongly plated and unable to fit the jack easily due to poor design. ......

Looking at various recent posts of new Baileys they appear to be having some quality control problems when building - surely someone looks at the plates and thinks - we don't make these anymore?

Edited by iancjc

I had a quick look at some Pageant S7s in my local Bailey dealer, at lease three had S6 plates!

Hi,

I wonder if this is due to an employee who has an axe to grind? The problem should have been picked up at least on one of the PDIs though. Also I would have thought that bailey's first action would be to replate such 'vans asap. I wonder what would happen in the case of an accident and the 'van was weighted to it's actual capacity as opposed to the lighter weight displayed on the plate? Probably nothing but I could see the owner having to prove that Bailey quote a higher weight for the S7 to the S6 and that would be an unwelcome complication,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

This just shows how pointless it is for a legal requirement to show caravan manufacturer, model and maximum authorised weight on the rating plate - it would be just as accurate if the owner wrote a few random numbers on the side of the caravan in indelible pen.

Just what value is CRiS if the rating plate information isn't accurate?

Yep, seems were're back to our PDI problems again. The caravan industry just don't seem to do themselves any favours.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Yep, seems were're back to our PDI problems again. The caravan industry just don't seem to do themselves any favours.

Certain companies seem to be in a comfort zone and don't seem to have learned the lessons of the UK motor industry of a few years ago,

Regards,

Ian.

Certain companies seem to be in a comfort zone and don't seem to have learned the lessons of the UK motor industry of a few years ago,

Regards,

Ian.

The master gas taps under the oven on my Provence are reversed to what is detailed in the hand book !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on plate:

Hurray, the new plate has arrived in the post today :), but yesterday went to look at the waste pipe and Alko kacking point situation, just to make sure it's not me.

Bailey were adamant that there is enough room for the jacking point to slide between the waste pipe and the floor.

I suppose there is, but only if water can run up hill, without a pump assisting. As I have said before, the pipe is just about flush with the floor, so will need to contact someone again to get it fitted. The offside one fitted perfectly.

Andrew